Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tks... Let me see what I can dig up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by petesamprs
    The notes server did change when we upgraded, but if i look at the "SevenValidate.log" file, it clearly shows Bizcon accessing the old one:

Here's what the logfile says (replaced name with John Smith and company info with XYZ):

4\21\2005 14:01
    Checking for international Domino 4.6 installation.
    Checking for international Domino 5.0 installation.
    Testing password as LMBCS.
    Initializing the Notes library with C:\validate_2705.ini
    The ini file exists.
    Opening the mailfile: CN=sdbo5717/OU=NewYork/OU=XYZ/O=XYZCo!!mail2\JSMITH.NSF as: CN=John Smith/OU=NewYork/OU=DBNA/O=XYZCo
    Password validated.

My current Lotus server (which I can see when I open Lotus on my desktop) is MSGM2004/srv/XYZcom

How do i check whether the "location" value of the server changed? Where does bizcon get its information about what server to access the emails from? I find it hard to believe that bizcon can't see the server that my desktop sees for my email.
    petesamprs - Here's some steps my friends from SEVEN came up with:

1. Click the mail icon in the lower right-hand corner of the Notes screen and select the 'Open Mail' option from the popup menu. Whichever mailfile opens up is what PE should be referencing.

2. When the mailfile is open ask the user to select 'File - Database - Properties' from the Notes menu and confirm the server and mailfile path/filename is what is expected.

Beyond that they said the following which is something that you would probably want to .zip up and I could give you an email address to send it to privately so they could catch it.

It would help to get the following information:
    * Copy of PE log files
    * Screen dump of the location document configuration settings - 'Servers' tab and 'Mail' tab settings.
    * Screen dump of the mailfile properties dialog box

They can compare all the details and should be able to confirm what is going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Check your notes.ini file for any mention of the old server, and adjust to point to the new. Do likewise with any .ini file that Bizcon may have created.
    There are no .ini files in my bizcon folder. Mostly just .dll and log files. I'd love to be able to just change the setting in the appropriate bizcon file, but I don't know which one to change and how to do it.

thanks.
    petesamprs - The notes.ini file is likely to be in the directory where the Notes software is installed. Do a global search from the C drive or other drives for this file to see where it shows up... sometimes you'll find you may have multuple ones.

Also did you try the steps I prescribed in my last post?

There are no .ini files in my bizcon folder. Mostly just .dll and log files. I'd love to be able to just change the setting in the appropriate bizcon file, but I don't know which one to change and how to do it.

thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGhost
    petesamprs - The notes.ini file is likely to be in the directory where the Notes software is installed. Do a global search from the C drive or other drives for this file to see where it shows up... sometimes you'll find you may have multuple ones.

Also did you try the steps I prescribed in my last post?

Mobile,
    I had sent you a PM to walk through my issues. We can probably address my issues specifically one-on-one (unless others want hear it for their help).

I did follow your steps but that just confirms that my current server and the one bizcon is seeing are different.

I found notes.ini and it clearly refers to the old setup (the last time the file was modified was around the time of ther server change). I doubt this is THE .ini file that my current desktop Lotus Notes is using - there must be another or different file that is controlling things now. I also noticed that bizcon creates a seperate "Sprint" folder in my C: drive w/ an .ini file that looks exactly like notes.ini - so this is probably where the problem is.

Now I just have to figure out where the real notes.ini is and find out how to tell bizcon that.
    Make the change in your notes.ini (and in the copy that BizCon has created). If you want to keep the old information so you can fall back, simply duplicate that line, prefix one with a # to make it a comment, and edit the other.

Your Notes client uses your current Location document (stored in your Names.nsf database) to find your home server, while any add-in which uses the Notes API - such as BizCon - relies on the information in notes.ini.

Trust me, I've been a Notes admin since version 3.02.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    This one is getting closer to resolution it seems as the notes.ini is likely the key as jetkins indicated since it has the older server in the one in you mentioned (assuming) that was under the Sprint directory. My guess is if you modify that by hand you'll be running correctly but it won't explain where it grabbed it from. This may occur dynamically every time you stop and start the Desktop but I'll have to check. Hopefully it is a static one time event and then you can modify it as needed.

petesamprs - Got your PM... I'll send you the address to use. Also besides the Sprint directory did you find any other copies of the notes.ini file on your system? This would be good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Make the change in your notes.ini (and in the copy that BizCon has created). If you want to keep the old information so you can fall back, simply duplicate that line, prefix one with a # to make it a comment, and edit the other.

Your Notes client uses your current Location document (stored in your Names.nsf database) to find your home server, while any add-in which uses the Notes API - such as BizCon - relies on the information in notes.ini.

Trust me, I've been a Notes admin since version 3.02.
    So after further digging it seems I have multiple notes.ini files.

There's a notes.ini file in:
    H:\config\notes\DATA
    H:\config\NotesBackup
    H:\config\NotesConfig
    C:\Documents and Settings\[Me]\Local Settings\Application Data\Lotus\Notes\Data

(C: is my harddrive and H: is my area on the server)

The last one's .ini file is clearly the most recent and contains the up-to-date server info (this is probably what my desktop client is using). Is there a way I can tell Bizcon to use this one? I can tell it's currently using the one in DATA since the C:/Sprint folder's .ini is a copy of that one. I just have to tell it to point to a different one.
    Guys,
    Any more thoughts on this? Appreciate the help so far...
    Not being familiar with Bizcon, I have no idea why it's picking that .ini to work from. But if that old server has been decommissioned, then I would simply substitute the new server for the old wherever it apppears in all of them. Can't hurt.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Guys,
    Any more thoughts on this? Appreciate the help so far...
    Sorry for the delay... I was waiting on information from my friends at SEVEN. So essentially here is what I got back in terms of what it is doing which ~should~ lead us to resolving the issue.

1. When Bizcon is initializes it looks for the path to the Notes.ini by reading the following registry entries in this order:

* Look for a notes 6.x installation by checking:
    HKLM -> Software -> Lotus -> Notes -> 6.0

* If we do not find a Notes 6.x registry entry we then check for a 5.x
    installation by checking for:
    HKLM -> Software -> Lotus -> Notes -> 5.0

If neither of these are found it will exit and log a message advising that a
    supported version of Notes could not be found.

2. If one of the above registry entries is found Bizcon will get a sub key of
    the above keys called 'Path'. This value of this 'Path' is appended to the 'Path' variable in the system environment. Later BizCon will check for the
    Notes.ini file in the path retrieved from the registry.

So if your user is advising the incorrect notes.ini is being read then I would suggest what configuration information they have in their registry for their Notes installation and make sure 'Path' is pointing to the correct location where the notes.ini is located. If the path is correct but the notes.ini file is elsewhere I would then suggest they copy to the notes.ini file to the location specified for the path.

Once Bizcon finds the Notes.ini file it is copied it to a temporary location and PE uses the copy instead of the original one.

So with all this said the first thing to check is those registry keys to see where it thinks the file is located. I'm also thinking that if the registry keys are correct maybe all you need to do is rename your old notes.ini in the Sprint directory to something else and then restart PE. It may end up copying the new one in there correctly if the registry has the location of where the corrected one for 6.0 is located.

Check that out and we'll go from there.
    I use MNotes with Lotus Notes and really like it. It installs onto the Domino Server and you can wirelessly sync your email, address book, to do list, contacts and free time. They have a push feature that has not worked on the 650. I just spoke to a tech support guy and they released a patch for the 650. I will try it in about 20 minutes. If it works like it worked on my HP IPAQ 6350, it will push mail as it arrives in Domino.

I will let you know. The MNotes solution is less than $100!
    Bob
    Thanks jet/Mobile. Before jumping into my registry, I used the general message of your posts and just RENAMED the old notes.ini, that was incorrectly being referenced, to notes_x.ini. After I did that, bizcon automatically went to the other notes.ini file (the correct one in my C: drive), so now the Sprint folder in my C: points to the correct .ini file, and bizcon works. wow, that simple. push is a little hit and miss though - sometimes i have to sync in order to get a mail I know has been sent several minutes ago.

Not a bad solution though.

tlc - how is mnotes (not free) better bizcon PE (free). All i care about is email.
    Yay! Glad you got it working.

The immediate push thing may be a limitation of the Domino server - I know there is sometimes a short lag between when a new message appears in my Notes inbox, and when it becomes available via IMAP on that same server. If the IMAP process uses the same API, that might explain the delay. The lag is noticeably shorter on my lightly-loaded home server than on the heavily-laden box at work.
    Great! It works now. So it seems the bug is that BizCon is not refreshing that notes.ini if it already exists. I'll feed that back to my friends at SEVEN so they can take a look.

As for Pushing email the push is not immediate and typically the best case is about 5 minutes with more usual times around 7-10 minutes depending on load on your mail server and load on the Sprint network. The Push mechanism they use is not a true IP Push but a triggerred pull which means that an SMS message is sent to your device when it detects new email to let it know it needs to initiate a sync back to the server. This SMS is silent to your device as the BC app recognizes and processes upon receipt. Back at your desktop is where the algorithm for checking email exists to occassionally poll your email server. Any breaks along the way, mail server, SMS, network, server infrastructure at Sprint can contribute to delays. Also if your device is not in contact then after 4 unsuccessful SMS attempts by the Bizocon Server software then it will mark your device as "suppressed" and will not send another Push SMS until you manually sync. I've probably discussed this in some of my other posts as this is a common question people wonder why their push is not working. So when in doubt do a manual sync which resets the suppression or set your device to scheduled sync which will gather the emails on a scheduled basis.

Nice Avatar jetkins!
    Hey photoduck or jetkins!

Can either of you give more explanation on how to find the IMAP address of the notes email file? I tried to do as stated in his post:
    "If your Notes admins won't give you the IMAP server information, you should be able to determine it yourself: Open your Domain Address Book on your home server, and look at the Server document for each server. On the Ports/Notes Network Ports tab, you'll find the IP address, and on the Ports/Internet Ports/Mail tab, you will see whether it has IMAP and/or POP3 enabled."
    But I can't seem to find the Domain Address Book. I'm sorry but I can't find anything like that. I'm on Notes 6.0.2CF2.
    Thanks for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi
    I'm participating on a pilot using Software called:

Onebridge
    Mail Plus

both provided by "Extended Systems."

Onebridge handles the pushing on the treo (using a 600, not 650) and Mailplus reads the mail.

The wireless calendar sync works great, but the wireless email push doesn't work. I have to manually synch the client to get my new emails. Very weird.

We are using Notes 5.0. I have a Treo 600 on Tmobile service.
    I used it on a 600 and currently on a 650. Onebridge does not push, calendar syncs nice.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12