1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 650 with Cingular service. People I'm talking to can hear their voice echo. This doesn't happen on my end just the people I'm talking to. I've talked with Cingular numerous times without a resolution. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problems. I didn't have this problem on my Motorola phone.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I've had this on occasion...but I can hear the echo...doesnt happen all the time and not sure what is causing it. I find that a reset of the phone seems to help

rob
    I have this from time to time on Cingular, but more often I have just plain old dropped calls which is just pissing me off to no end because I have 3 bars when it drops!
  4.    #4  
    I'm also getting a lot of dropped calls. I'm beginning to think the 650 isn't such a great idea.
    I have the echo problem intermittently when I use the Treo 650 bluetooth headset. No idea what causes this. I also get the dropped calls. Seems like its a Cingular issue
    I get the echo with the Sony HBH-660. Turning the volume down seems to help but it has to be WAY down. To the point that it is either they put up with echo or I dont get to hear them speak. I have a theory that the mic is picking up sound coming from the speaker. I dont know if it is internal to the unit or external. In any case it has gotten to the point where I will most likely try another headset, even though I like the formfactor of the 660 and the other features.

I have not had the echo while on a call without the headset.

E44
    I've noticed the echoing as well. I just switched to Cingular and to a 650 and thought it was just a fluke, but it occurs quite frequently. Typically I hear my own voice echoing... it makes it hard to concentrate on my conversation - unless I'm trying to talk to myself...

I usually use it as a handset, only using a wired earbud when driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by netready
    I'm also getting a lot of dropped calls. I'm beginning to think the 650 isn't such a great idea.
    Nah, Cingular is a piece of garbage. I get dropped calls on ALL of my cingular lines. Cingular is just terrible. I can't believe that its just Atlanta that has this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by netready
    I have a Treo 650 with Cingular service. People I'm talking to can hear their voice echo. This doesn't happen on my end just the people I'm talking to. I've talked with Cingular numerous times without a resolution. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problems. I didn't have this problem on my Motorola phone.

My co-worker just called me from his Treo 650 on Cingular. The echo was very loud. I have never heard anyone complain about an echo with my Treo 600 on Sprint. Anyone else with a 650 have this problem? Anyone have a solution to the problem?
    Whn you think about it, an echo that only the caller to the Treo can here, the most obvious answer is....well....obvious. The speaker is too loud. With consumer demand requiring smaller and smaller form factors, the microphone and earpiece are getting closer ans closer together. My first car phone weighed about 10 pounds, the mouthpiece touched the corner of my mouth and the earpiece covered my ear....sounded good though.

When wearing a headset, think about what you are asking the mic to do. Pick up the sound of your voice coming from 3 -4 inches away from the mic and NOT pick up the sound coming from 1 inch away. Turn the volume down and the echo goes away. I have the volume on the second bar and I get no echo.
    First, as a side note....I've had 2 Sprint branded 650's through Sprint, and the both had speaker issues...a terrible hissing/static when on any call. I also tried 3 unlocked Sprint branded 650's with Verizon (the phone had been hacked), and they had awful reset problems and speaker problems. I've also had 2 Cingular branded 650's....both of them had the speaker echo problem, date bug reset issue, and terrible reset issues.

So I'm on my second unlocked GSM 650.
    The first one I had, the earpiece (built onto the phone, not the speakerphone speaker) was way too soft--you could barely hear the person you're talking to, even with the volume turned all the way up. And, for me, it didn't matter what level you had the volume set at--their voice was always at the same level...you could barely hear what they said. If they like almost screamed, you could hear them better, but something was obviously defective with the phone. But, if you did turn the volume level way up, or max, they would hear an echo with every word they said. Note they could hear me "crystal clear" as they described.

Now I have my second one. This one does not have the same volume issue, in that turning the volume level up or down DOES actually do something. However, if I turn the level to medium or higher, they complain of the same echo. So, I have to keep my volume level just below where it's comfortable to understand them (which is just below the middle level).

However, I figured out what's causing my echo--it's their voice coming through the earpiece and feeding back into the mic. I know this because, if I pressed the phone again my ear hard, as to like cradle the speaker in my ear, they would not hear an echo, even if I turned my volume all the way to max. So what I'm doing is, I make sure to have the screen of the phone flat against my face when I'm talking, and my volume level is about mid way--it's just right for understanding them well. That seems to all but completely eliminate the echo. The trick is holding the phone right....the sound is traveling down the phone and feeding back into the mic. Holding the phone at the proper position seems to fix the problem

And by the way, all this stupid BS about turning the Real Player volume level to max, etc. That's such horse ****. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad whoever posted the idea, but I'm directing my anger my towards PalmOne with this....I didn't pay 700 dollars for a phone so I would have to dig around through settings and half-way rig something up for the phone to work. Shame on you Palm, you sorry pricks.

Even though I am half way happy with this phone I have now (because the first one was such a POS), I'm 90% sure I'm going to return it and just get a refund before it's too late. The bottom line is, in my opinion, the 650 is just a worthless POS. I think you're better off using two tin cans with a piece of string between them.