1.    #1  
    I'm looking for a very high quality bluetooth headset for a Treo 650. I prefer the kind that has a plug or fitting to go inside the ear.

Also, noise cancellation and a boom mike would be good, so the people I'm talking to can hear me better.

Does such a device exist?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Go to the bluetooth forum. 90% of it is talking about which headset is the best. Just do a search for headset adn you will be enriched with information.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! I'll repost there. I didn't even realize that there was a bluetooth forum.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    No problem.
    i don't think one exists. i'm still waiting. I currently use www.theboom.com but i wish i could find a bluetooth one with the same quality.
    Dont buy boom, its big. Instead try Shure "quiteSpot" headphones. Best wired headphone for any cel phone PERIOD. check it out at www.shure.com
  7. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    Instead try Shure "quiteSpot" headphones. Best wired headphone for any cel phone PERIOD.
    The folks at Etymotic would beg to differ.

Their ETY•COM Mobile Phone Headset is in a class of it's own. It boasts the best noise isolation of any headset earphone and the best noise rejection of any headset microphone on the market and the sound quality is outstanding both to the person wearing it and the person they're talking to.

'Course that shouldn't be surprising from a company who specializes in hearing aids and test equipment for hearing professionals.

I wear one while riding my motorcycle. I can easily have a phone conversation while in Los Angeles freeway commute traffic with the volume set at 3-bars and without raising my voice. Unless someone honks their horn right next to me, the person I'm talking to can't even tell I'm mobile.

I'm not saying that the Sure QuietSpot headsets aren't worth considering but they're certainly not the "Best wired headphone for any cel phone PERIOD."

Pete
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Handspring Visor > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Pro > Pre (in November) ... Evolution, or more money than sense?
    well, i have theboom and i've been under a rollercoaster at disneyland on a call, on the floor of comdex, at a bar, and everytime no one is the wiser.

as for the shure, I purchased the shure quietspot qsih3 for my wife. It's not the one with the boom mic but supposedly the same noise cancellation. It is a dangling microphone which I was skeptical. And it's ok, the noise cancellation isn't that good and it isn't that comfortable. I've tried all the earpieces it comes with. the jabra earwave that she lost was so much better.

How much is the etymotic? I was looking for a headset for my wife that can be bundled up in her purse. That's why I went with the shure with the dangling microphone.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    $69.00 on their website or $57.00 here
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    Check out the Bluespoon AX..or search my posts I wrote a review weeks ago..it fits inside the ear
  11. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    There are a couple of things to know about the ETY•COM Mobile Phone Headset:

First, it has no answer button but there are a couple of ways to overcome this: I installed my own. I used an inline button from a retired Nextel/Motorola over-the-head headset. The headset wasn't worth squat but the button is one of the best inline buttons I've ever used and it was held together with screws. The wire from the phone to the button even had the correct 3-ring connector on it and it already worked correctly with the Treo 650. I simply opened up the button housing. unsoldered the original headset wiring, and soldered my ETY•COM's wire in it's place. The whole operation took maybe 10 minutes and it looks like a factory installation.

For those of you who aren't quite so industrious, Etymotic will apparently install a customer's wire in one of their headsets for a nominal fee. Rumor has it that they're also looking at offering inline adapters with answer buttons but so far that's not an option.

Second, for the ETY•COM to work as advertized, you must obtain a good seal in the ear canal. It also must fit tight enough to keep the microphone boom from rotating away from the mouth during head movement. The headset comes with several different types and sizes of eartips and unless you have an abnormally large or small ear canal, chances are real good that you will find one that will work correctly and comfortably for you.

I did but I went the extra mile and was fitted for a custom molded eartip by a local hearing aid dealer. It cost an additional $50 for a couple of them but it was one of the best investments I ever made. I can wear my ETY•COM all day long with no discomfort whatsoever. I recently rode my motorcycle nearly 800 miles in a single day which basically took from first light to dark and I actually tried to take my pants off in the motel room with the phone in the belt holster and the headset in my ear. It's so comfortable and unobtrusive that I had completely forgotten that I was wearing it.

So what Bluetooth headset can you honestly say that about?

Please don't get me wrong: I'm a gadgeteer with a bad case of gadgetitis and I desperately want a BT headset. In fact, after buying and returning six of the latest, high end models, I now own a Logitech Mobile Freedom Headset which works the best for me but is still a study in compromise. I can hear it ok but it's big, ugly, and I can only wear it for an hour or so before I want to take it off and rub the pain out of my ear. And it's incompatible with Treo Voice Dialing which means I still have to handle the Treo to initiate a call.

The ONLY compromise with my ETY•COM is the wire. Otherwise, it's the perfect headset and I can live with the wire.

And no, I don't work for or own stock in Etymotic Research. I'm simply a completely satisfied customer.

Pete
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Handspring Visor > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Pro > Pre (in November) ... Evolution, or more money than sense?
  12. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exciter
    $69.00 on their website or $57.00 here {The Ear Plug Super Store}
    That's the place, Exciter! That's where I purchased my Etymotic Research ER-4P Isolation Earphones and I've been going nuts trying to find the link again (or even remember the company name ).

Unless they've changed dramatically, The Ear Plug Super Store is an excellent company that provides great customer service and has very competetive pricing; two attributes which are hard to find in one company.

FWIW, the ER-4 earphones are widely recognized as the finest earphones of any kind. They're not well known due to the $300+ suggested price tag but if you're an audiophile and music connoisseur like I am, it's money well spent. Etymotic employs the same driver technology, isolation, and quality in the ETY•COM which makes it a real bargain at $69 SRP. $57 makes it a better value yet.

It's interesting to note that palmOne is listed as one of the "Other Places To Buy" in the Etymotic website but I don't recall seeing their products in the palmOne website.

Pete