1.    #1  
    We know that some company is trying to produce a wifi sled for Treo 650, but that will make the Treo bigger in size, and most of us will not want to use it.

How's that for an idea:

A small wireless box that will be half size of the Treo and will have 2 wireless interfaces as:
    - Blueooth connection interface (to connect any PDA with BT like Treo 650)
    - Wifi interface (to connect to any WLAN)

It should have it's own battery and a small LCD to select wifi connection parameters.
    Treo 650 (or any other BT PDA) will connect to it with BT DUN.

Someone must have thought of it. This would be a multi-functional solution for PDAs or computers which has no wifi interface but only BT.

I would pay around 100$ for a box like this.
    BUT it should be half size of the Treo at most.

edit:
    I think something like this has been discussed here before.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/archi...p/t-59768.html
    However I couldn't find it with my Treocentral forum search before...
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Only solution I know of would be this one from D-link - Bluetooth-to-LAN Access Point

Pls let us know if anyone has tried this one on their Treo650 (or T5)
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    There was a rumor a year ago that Enfora (the same company producing the Wifi sled) was considering the exact product you just decribed. See here for details:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...+bridge&rnum=1

Maybe people should start contacting Enfora and telling them we'd like to see this idea resurrected.. they must have developed prototypes which could be expanded into a product if they thought there was enough demand, and being a smaller company they might actually listen.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I have something like this, the Anycom AP-2002. It is around $100. But.. it is just over twice the size of the Treo, uses 120v power and connects to ethernet instead of wifi directly. (You can use an ethernet to wifi converter with it). It is the smallest device like this I have seen. It's not without troubles, sometimes the Treo just won't connect. Also, even though Bluetooth is rated at 700kbps, the Treo maxes out at 115kbps! How sad, hot syncs via BT or BT over Ethernet aren't nearly as fast as I had hoped. If someone would make a tiny BT to wifi gateway, I'd probably buy one as well, but the technology is used so infrequently in this way that I don't think anyone will invest in the design.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Great idea, but only if they manage to make it the size of a small GPS or so.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    Maybe people should start contacting Enfora and telling them we'd like to see this idea resurrected.. they must have developed prototypes which could be expanded into a product if they thought there was enough demand, and being a smaller company they might actually listen.
    great !!!
    Let's do it !
    How ?
    Why would you limit yourself to BT speeds over wifi? The theoretical max for BT 1.1 is 723kbps, Wifi (802.11b) is 11 Mbps. So doing BT over wifi is extremely slow, and you still have to have an extra device, not to mention you now have BT and wifi competing in the same 2.4Ghz spectrum. Finally, now you have the battery drain, of not one, but 2 wireless devices (Treo's battery using BT, and the other device's using wifi). If I'm not mistaken, the enfora sled has a separate battery pack that doesn't drain the Treo's battery using wifi. Why not have just an 802.11b sled with a separate battery pack and skip the BT altogether?

P.S. I don't work for enfora, or own one of their sleds.
    Actually, this device already exists. It's called an ipaq.
    I think a decent battery life and the functionality being discussed are mutually exclusive. This is moreso the case if you use an IPAQ to do it.

Also - A wifi and BT enabled IPAQ for less than $100???
    Treo central photo challenge #1 - http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=623994
    Hahah, good point.
    What about this?
    http://www.bluetooth.com/products/pr...PID=1294&CAT=6

Or were you looking for something more portable?
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjphilpot
    Why would you limit yourself to BT speeds over wifi?
    Why ?
    Because ;
    1-
    I don't need I need Wifi speed higher than 512K. Most wifi hotspots doesn't provide internet access over 1M. 11Mbits is the speed of Wifi , not internet.

2-
    The real reason of all: Not to have a larger Treo with the sled...
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    We know that some company is trying to produce a wifi sled for Treo 650, but that will make the Treo bigger in size, and most of us will not want to use it.

How's that for an idea:

A small wireless box that will be half size of the Treo and will have 2 wireless interfaces as:
    - Blueooth connection interface (to connect any PDA with BT like Treo 650)
    - Wifi interface (to connect to any WLAN)

It should have it's own battery and a small LCD to select wifi connection parameters.
    Treo 650 (or any other BT PDA) will connect to it with BT DUN.

Someone must have thought of it. This would be a multi-functional solution for PDAs or computers which has no wifi interface but only BT.

I would pay around 100$ for a box like this.
    BUT it should be half size of the Treo at most.
    Well, would you pay 5 times that much and settle for something that is even bigger than the Treo?

I ask because this is what Palm will be offering their gateway/hub for. Something they have been working on for over a year now as evidenced by the presentation slide I talk about here.

It will probably be marketed mainly as a Treo companion (which is ridiculous sense people buy the Treo to get away from having to carry multiple devices). But you can tuck it away in your glove compartment, briefcase or backpack and have access to it's 4 GB of memory, wi-fi and streaming capabilities with your Treo 650. AND... when your Treo is low on power, just plug it into this new Tungsten to utilize the Life Drive's battery power with a USB 2.0 OTG transceiver charging on the go; a new Palm device with a hard "drive" that also gives battery "life". Get it!

I also talk about it here and a few other places. I'm surprized you haven't heard about this thing. It's been all over the web for the last week or two.
    I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I'm doing this now...sort of. With my Powerbook and Missing Sync, I connect to my Powerbook through bluetooth and then get online through WiFi. Of course, if you've got the laptop nearby you might as well use that instead, but it can be done...
    I use the Belkin Bluetooth LAN access point. I bought it on Amazon.com
    It works great for around the home or any place with an ethernet jack.
    While it's not really mobile or wireless, it's good for what it is. It could potentially be brough on any kind of trip and used in say a hotel room where there's an internet access ethernet jack.
    It could be used in conjunction with a wireless access point (just use an ethernet crossover cable.) but it's far from being mobile.

I've seen a lot of people ask why would anyone want to use this if you have an unlimited EDGE plan?
    The answer is simple. It's faster than the EDGE (although not by a huge amount,) less latency (no 3-4 second delay waiting for the page to start loading,) and most importantly it gives you data coverage inside a home/building where your GPRS/EDGE signal is poor or non-existant. I also like to use this to just reduce the amount of data usage I use on the Cingular network so when I teather my total MB used per month stays relatively low.
    But for on the road/portability, while strongly wish I had WiFi to use where it's available, the EDGE is more than adequate. There really is no need for a portable solution in this case with EDGE speeds.

Still if PalmOne was ever to give us a WiFi driver, I'd be the first to get a wifi card for the Treo. WiFi card is not a good 24/7 solution (sticking out of the top) but it would be great to pop in to use when sitting down in a coffee house (or any WiFi enabled place for that matter.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G