1.    #1  
    Yes, I know that this has been discussed at legnth. However I am still not sure if any conclusions have been made regarding a possible fix.

My biggest pet peeve HAS to be the low ringer volume. It makes using MP3 ring tones difficult to say the least (I use Ringo Pro BTW). I have found that I have to use software, prior to transfering the MP3 to the Treo, to CRANK the volume up in the MP3. This always causes distortion, to some extent, and even then the volume is only marginal. I frequently miss calls in noisy envirnments.

My question is: has it been determined if the problem is hardware or software? Also, does anyone have a better (than discribed above) method of getting acceptable MP3 ring tone volume levels?

Thank you,
    E44
    did you try changing the volume in PTunes ?
    ringo doesn't require ptunes so I don't think that will help at all.. the 650s speaker is just really low.. sad but true....
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    did you try changing the volume in PTunes ?
    Yes, it had no effect. I tried changing the PT volume while ringo was playing the MP3. No effect.

Quote Originally Posted by donric609
    ringo doesn't require ptunes so I don't think that will help at all.. the 650s speaker is just really low.. sad but true....
    Do you mean that the speaker cant produce louder sound or that the software (Treo OS software) driving the speaker is set too low?

I can get the speaker to produce sound at what seems to be an acceptable level. But to do that I have to pull the MP3 into some desktop software and change its volume level. The problem is that when I do this I end up with distortion (crackeling sound mostly) in the MP3. And it sounds like the speaker is about to blow when played on the treo. But I am convenced that that "speaker is about to blow" sound is from the MP3 distortion rather than any limitations of the speaker.

A good workaround would be some software that can change the volume of an MP3 to VERY LOUD without causing distorion. Are there any sound experts out there who know of such a program or a process to do this (maybe convert the song from the CD to WAV then change the volume in WAV and convert to MP3??) preferably freeware or shareware? I dont mind paying for it if it meets my needs but I would rather not pay for a progam that will not meet my needs.

Thanks,
    E44
    maybe it is the quality of the mp3, as I have no problems with Ringo Pro and my MP3 ringtones. As a matter of fact I think my mp3 ringtones are too loud.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by shanta
    maybe it is the quality of the mp3, as I have no problems with Ringo Pro and my MP3 ringtones. As a matter of fact I think my mp3 ringtones are too loud.
    I created the MP3 using the highest quality possible in AudioGrabber 1.83. They are 320kb/s constant bit rate, joint stereo, with quality set to high. I use a normalization setting of 99% (under 98%, over 99%). I tried a couple without the normalize and the volume was lower. I then move them into MP Trim 2.0 (another freeware app) to cut the MP3 down to the sample that I want to use as a ring tone. I also use MP Trim to increase the volume as needed.

How would you feel about swaping a couple of MP3 ring tones as a test? I could send you a couple of the smaller ones and we could compare notes?

If you are ok with this, let me know and I will PM you with my email address.

(edited)

I also have Pocket Tunes installed as well. It is still the eval verson, I dont know if that matters. What version of Ringo Pro are you using? I am using 4.33.

Some of the MP3s sound loud when I am in a quiet envirnment and the phone is out in the open. The problem is when the phone is in my pocket and I am either in the car (its a bit noisy), walking on the street, or in some noisy envirnment. I went as far as to "modify" the B650 book case (I cut a small hole in the case to expose the speaker). This helped quite a bit but still, even out of the case, the majority of the MP3s are just way to low.

Thanks,
    E44
    Last edited by Enzo44; 04/08/2005 at 05:12 PM.
    I am running Ringo Pro 4.35 we can swap a tone for test. I can send you one that is loud to me.