1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of a way to change the hardware keyboard layout? For example make it produce characters from the upper 128 region of the table?

I have created my own (localized) fonts and can read stuff but it would be great if I could type that way as well.
    that's interesting. I am using (at least evaluating) Piloc for Turkish localization and I would also like to change keyboard layout.
    Is there a software to do this ?
  3.    #3  
    I used to use PiLoc as well but didn't like the crappy system fonds so I made my own localized ones (maller and much more readable) and use them instead. So now we need some hack to change the keyboard mapping - this should be possible but I haven't found anything so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladchuk
    I used to use PiLoc as well but didn't like the crappy system fonds so I made my own localized ones (maller and much more readable) and use them instead. So now we need some hack to change the keyboard mapping - this should be possible but I haven't found anything so far.
    did you find anything yet ?
    btw, for which language did you create new fonts ?
    Does anyone know of a way to change the hardware keyboard layout? For example make it produce characters from the upper 128 region of the table?

I have created my own (localized) fonts and can read stuff but it would be great if I could type that way as well.
    I've found some months ago an "unofficial" way to modify the keyboard layout (at that time I was thinking about a solution to replace a broken key). If the demand is big enough I can do something...

Jean-Francois.
    that would be nice... please share this unofficial way with us...
  7.    #7  
    My fonts are "cyrillized".

JFMw, that would be great if you could share. I'm not exactly sure what you discoverd but one thing to keep in mind is that the alternative mapping should be switchable - a hot key combo or some such. I am not about permanently to give up the standard ASCII layout for anything else!

JFMw, that would be great if you could share. I'm not exactly sure what you discoverd but one thing to keep in mind is that the alternative mapping should be switchable - a hot key combo or some such. I am not about permanently to give up the standard ASCII layout for anything else!
    absolutely !
  9.    #9  
    Surprisingly low interest in this thread - I thought there were quite a few "non-natives" in
    this forum who would be interested in localizing their Treo's...
    Well, it's quite simple: creating a keyboard layout that will act as an "overlay" for the standard behaviours. 4 layouts are defined: 1 for real ASCII chars, 3 for virtual chars (normal, shift and option). You can do almost what you want: it is possible to affect any char/vchar to any key, it's also possible to handle any key event... Main problems are: (1) this overlay is not described anywhere, and it will require a little time to understand where each key can be found in the database (2) create an interface that would let users define their own layout and switch between layouts (3) I don't know anything about localized fonts... how is it handled by your applications on your Treo, is it a special ASCII char to print, several chars (like unicode)?

Cheers, Jean-Francois.
  11.    #11  
    For localized fonts I am using Font4OS5 (FontHackV can be used as well). You just create a font (a keycode - glyph table) and use some app that substitutes you fonts for system fonts. No magic here.

So, generally speaking, this problem is not strictly the one of localization. The solution could be used, for example, to use dvorak instead of querty. I don't know how much sense this makes on the keyboard this small - you can't touch type anyway - but that is beside the point.

So this program/module we are after should be able to:
    1. Use a predefined mapping table to generate alternative keycodes. What actually gets displayed when such such key presses are finally processed by the OS is defined by the current system font.
    2. Somehow be resident at all times and provide a switch to change the mapping on the fly either via hot key combo or onsceen icon.
    3. Desirable, but not strictly necessary - privide the ability to create such mappings right on the device.

I hope this helps.
    I am using Piloc (a localization software from www.penreader.com)
    and the keyboard is set to Turkish characters. But I don't know the layout.
    There are still some characters I don't know by which key to write.

How can I learn the current keyboard layout ?
  13.    #13  
    I have never been able to get PiLoc to cahnge the keyboard mapping. I think that option is for external keyboard only. Do you see the "turkish" characters displayed? I bet they are all plain ASCII and since Turkish is based on Latin you can kind of get by. I am afraid you will never be able to produce real Turkish with it, at least in that version...
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    I am using Piloc (a localization software from www.penreader.com)
    and the keyboard is set to Turkish characters. But I don't know the layout.
    There are still some characters I don't know by which key to write.

How can I learn the current keyboard layout ?
    It should be documented in piloc's documentation (at least it was with mine version). Piloc is pretty straightforward in translating keycodes, and you can easily extract the map (and even change it to anything you want, both for hardware and onscreen keybds). Everything you need is a prc viewer tool (look at shadowmite's site)

Look into file turkish.prc (or whatever), and locate section hwkb. Find the the string q.w.e.r.t.y...., where . are *some* characters. It's what you need - hardware keycode mapper. Piloc simply replaces pressed key by the next character. So, if you see the string 'qawzeerrttyy' there, q will be replaced by a, w by z and so on, ie english keyboard will be remapped to the french one.

Alt mappings (ie $->EURO and such stuff) are also described in some section of the file and can be easily discovered too.

HTH.
    Thanks elidocorc,
    That's a nice information. I'll check the Turkish.prc with a PRC wiever as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by elidocorc
    It should be documented in piloc's documentation (at least it was with mine version).
    Turkish keyboard layout is not in the documentation and I've asked Penreader support (they ignored my question because I'm not a customer yet)
    In which part of the documentation you found the keyboard layout ?
    I have never been able to get PiLoc to cahnge the keyboard mapping. I think that option is for external keyboard only. Do you see the "turkish" characters displayed? I bet they are all plain ASCII and since Turkish is based on Latin you can kind of get by. I am afraid you will never be able to produce real Turkish with it, at least in that version...
    My on-board keyboard mapping is changed...
    I see the Turkish characters displayed. I can produce real Turkish...
    What's the difference ?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    My on-board keyboard mapping is changed...
    I see the Turkish characters displayed. I can produce real Turkish...
    What's the difference ?
    I was mistaken, then. However, I have never seen anything but ASCII
    using Russian or Ukrainian PiLoc.
    elidocorc ,

I've edited hwkb in the language file of Piloc.
    Now I have what I want in place. I just wonder if it's somehow possible to add characters to function+button or Alt+button ?
    by this way can we add new characters ?
    maybe I couldn't express it right...

I mean, as in normal keyboard layot when you press "." and then ALT button, a small popup comes and you can select among (.,?,!,...)
    Is it possible to add some characters to ALT of some buttons (in Piloc's keyboard layout)