1.    #1  
    I can get me email, but can't respond, reply, foward, or even edit any of the account setups with out the versamail crashing...

Sprint told me to call Tier 2 service, which I did. This wasted about 2 hours of my time.

Can anyone here help me out, maybe?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Delete all versamail files using "Filez" and re-setup from scratch. This problem means one of the databases got corrupted.

Seach the palmOne knowlege base for details, there's a support article there.
    I would suggest using ChatterEmail www.chatteremail.com

Versamail blows.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Versamail blows.
    I see this comment all the time, and it annoys me. I tried the demo versions of Chatter and Snapper both and was unimpressed. Yes, versamail has a few bugs, but I'm still using it quite happily.
    i find that if you delete your messages properly and check the mutimail attachment file size every once in a while (when mine grows to more than 10k i delete it , im using zlauncher.) everything runs good
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    I see this comment all the time, and it annoys me. I tried the demo versions of Chatter and Snapper both and was unimpressed. Yes, versamail has a few bugs, but I'm still using it quite happily.
    Well, I have used both Versamail and Chatter, and the one key difference is that Chatter doesn't reset my Treo every other time I check email. "Few" bugs? Besides resetting, not checking email on schedule, not deleting email from the server, corrupting its databases, choking on attachements.... Well, yeah, I guess, you could call that a "few" bugs.

Versamail is an application that COMES with the Treo. As such, it should have been developed and tested to a much higher standard. Imagine the built in calculator resetting every time you wanted to divide something. If Palm wanted to include and email client with its device, the LEAST it could have done is included one that works consistently. There are several 3rd party apps that, although "unimpressive", at the very least WORK consistently.

Cingular Treo 650
    Based on what I've read in... man... got to be several hundred posts on the net... my advice would be don't waste your time with versamail until there is a significant update.

But that depends on what you want out of the device and how much you depend on it, day to day...

I know this isn't useful technical advice but sometimes when you're new to a device, you're kind of blinded by love and will waste a huge amount of time with an app that ultimately you will set aside.. consider this... overall time saving advice I guess.

If you're not real happy about the overall performance with the 650 and think P1 could do better?... join our ranks at www.treo650update.com
    At the very least it's interesting to see who's writing us, where they're from and what they have to say...

Cheers.
    Last edited by tundycentral; 04/08/2005 at 01:55 PM.
    Tundy, if you are going to Troll on every thread that says something negative about the 650, you might as well spell the URL of your site correctly.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Chatter doesn't reset my Treo every other time I check email.
    Funny, when I tried the demo of chatter it was crash city for me. It got uninstalled quickly...

Besides resetting
    Versamail hasn't reset on me since the 1.08 ROM upgrade.
    not checking email on schedule
    I don't use that feature
    not deleting email from the server
    Works fine for me.
    corrupting its databases
    I haven't experienced that.
    choking on attachements
    I only had that problem once, and it turned out to be a corruption on my SD card.
    party apps that, although "unimpressive", at the very least WORK consistently.
    Not for me. Chattermail caused constant resets, and Snappermail couldn't even connect to my SSL-IMAP server. It just hung trying to download mail. I tried it 5 times in a row, deleted it and went back to Versamail. It's not perfect, but it works for me.

Look, if you're happy with something else, I'm not here to start a "my mail client is better than yours" war.. just be considerate that there people who find Versamail satisfactory before yapping about how much it "blows".
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Ok, I have not had any problems with VersaMail. I don't like the way it handles signatures, but that's my only real gripe. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe I'm not doing a whole lot of intensive emailing (attachments and the like), but I wonder if people have programs on their phone that are affecting VersaMail...that's the only thing I can think of right now that is causing so much trouble for people. When I moved from my Treo 600 I did a completely fresh install with a new Hotsync username and all. I don't have the random freezing, resetting, or any of the other problems people are experiencing. Maybe the original poster could try this...

Also, I have tried SnapperMail and found that I don't like the interface very much at all. I actually found that after I intalled the trial version I was using VersaMail instead because it was easier, has a better UI, and I just prefer it...and it always gets my mail.
    I have had none of the listed problems with Versa Mail. Send. Recieve. Reply. Delete off server. Attachments (some up to 1mb.) I have 7 work and home accounts set up. My only initial glitch -- is I had to set my outgoing mail to be handled by the sprintpcs server. . . .

All is well here . . . . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    ...Look, if you're happy with something else, I'm not here to start a "my mail client is better than yours" war.. just be considerate that there people who find Versamail satisfactory before yapping about how much it "blows".
    Well, last time I checked expressing my opinion was an acceptable thing. Wait, let me check again...

Yup, still is.

If Versamail is crashing constantly for someone, and they ask for advice, some people will advise troubleshooting, others will advise a client switch.

And, oh, by the way, Versamail still blows.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I like the way VersaMail looks, but it won't SSL with my at&t worldnet SMTP server so I can't send - not good. Snapper 1.9something (I haven't purchased the 2.x upgrade yet) works fine for me though as long as I turn off keylock for automatice fetch. Wish it linked to the phone app, but maybe in 2.x. I'm still trying to decide between the 650, the SX66 or just keeping my 7135 a bit longer. If I go with the treo it looks like Snapper for me (never tried Chatter as I'm POP3+SSL and they say they don't do that too well).
    Tundy, if you are going to Troll on every thread that says something negative about the 650, you might as well spell the URL of your site correctly.
    Thank you.

I tyyyype fast, not accurately.
    Last edited by tundycentral; 04/08/2005 at 02:04 PM.
    Do you see what I mean about the randomness of issues on this device...

... I'm telling you, all these issues and the random appearance of them are rooted in the memory... it's becoming painfully obvious... when you eliminate all the usual items that cause problems... it comes back to the memory.

This would also explain why someone can feel that they've "lucked into getting a good unit" and then you see them begin posting 4-6 weeks later that strange unexplained anomalies are cropping up here and there.

Memory Memory Memory
    PalmOne needs to go back to the drawing board.

Personally, I think they should go back to the old system of memory management, put 128K or 256K in there, and get it all over with... there would be a whole lot of happy 3rd party software writers out there that would breathe a huge sigh of relief.
    Today, Versamail was resetting every time I would try to open my “Sent” folder on POP server. I could see the files with Explorer on the PC in file “Multimail_messages.pdb”. Tried various hotsync’s and finally recovered files I needed with PC and then using account setup on Versamail, I deleted the offending account. Then did a Hotsync to clear out the PC pdb file. Next, opened a new account and the resetting has stopped. Not sure how the file(s) in Sent got corrupted?

I have not yet upgraded to 1.08
    FastFrank