1.    #1  
    I've been waiting to get a smartphone and came here to learn some more about the 600 only to find that 650 was launched on at least a few providers. I am basically committed to Verizon for the time being due to coverage issues and most of my family is on Verizon hence unlimited in network calling. My new employer will now pay for my phone and data service so I'm migrating my old service to the firm account, but we have to buy our own hardware.

Anyway - I'd been tapping my toes waiting on Verizon to issue the 650 in case I am willing to pay extra for the additional benefits (which are seemingly somewhat limited) when I am really anxious to get a smartphone. however, the reports here of hard resets and firmware issues, etc... aren't exactly confidence inspiring and make me wonder if I should just go ahead and get a 600 - I do not want to have the unit reset multiple times/day or even per week.

Any thoughts on getting a 600 or waiting for the 650?
    At this point, I would wait for the T650. I really feel like it is going to be in our hands withink a month or so.
    The reset problems reported here are the exceptions rather than the rule. I have two Sprint Treo 650s in my hoursehold, and I have not had a reset in weeks. My wife's probably hasn't reseted in months.

If you intend to add lots of third-party apps, you will probably experience more resets than the norm.
    Last edited by Rome; 04/07/2005 at 05:27 PM.
    I'd stick it out for the 650. As for the publicized issues on this board - 1) remember that most of the folks that are having very limited/no problems with their Treo are not posting about it here; 2) many of the well known issues are either related to third party apps or the original firmware. With regards to number 2...be smart when installing third-party apps - anything that runs in the background may cause conflicts with the Treo or other third party apps. And as for the firmware, I'm betting the Verizon 650 comes with the latest firmware just released for Sprint (both are CDMA networks). The latest firmware has proven to resolve many of the issues you've been hearing about on this board.
  5.    #5  
    I've been using a Palm for about 8 years now (Palm III, Vx and TT) but other than Avantgo don't use any third party applications - and with the data plan and Blazer I shouldn't have to use Avantgo for anything either.

The firm uses the Goodlink server to push email and outlook info - anyone have experience good or bad with this setup (Treo plus Goodlink)?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74519

Nuff said.

And that poll was up well before the Sprint update was released.
    Quote Originally Posted by HesNot
    I've been using a Palm for about 8 years now (Palm III, Vx and TT) but other than Avantgo don't use any third party applications - and with the data plan and Blazer I shouldn't have to use Avantgo for anything either.

The firm uses the Goodlink server to push email and outlook info - anyone have experience good or bad with this setup (Treo plus Goodlink)?
    We have deployed many 650's here with GoodLink as well as literally thousands to our customers. There are some individual preferences when it comes to GoodLink, but if you read the recent review from PC Mag, one line should answer your question:

"With exceptionally wide support for devices and carriers, plus a very powerful and easy to use client, Good's end-to-end platform is still the most impressive wireless messaging solution we've seen"
    -PC Magazine
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1774932,00.asp
    Yes...not much is different. Some people do not like the new way that the favorites are done...I think it just takes some getting used to.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Wait for the dust to settle on the most recent 650 patch. From what I've read it's what the 650 should have been at release.

Also, there are rumors of new Treos coming out in July.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Wait for the dust to settle on the most recent 650 patch. From what I've read it's what the 650 should have been at release.

Also, there are rumors of new Treos coming out in July.
    New Treos in July? Do you have any more info on them? I've been holding out with my T600 for the next one after the T650....
    I think the new treo in July will be more of an entry leve model than anything else. It will not be a Treo 700. The model will most likey target the mass consumer market.

Just my $0.02.