1.    #1  
    I have yet to be able to take a clear video with good sound using the Treo 650 camcorder. I used to use the MovieRec program for the Treo 600 and it took much clearer and better sounding video (but of course it couldn't be viewed anywhere other than on the 600 with sound). Does everyone have this issue or is it possible I am doing something wrong or have a bum camcorder? I have it recording direct to the card (which is a 1 gig and not an ultra or especially fast card - a PQI). I tried using it last night at a concert at a small local club and it came out so garbled as to render the video useless. Any help is appreciated!
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I recorded footage of buddies of mine playing the guitar at work the video is 3 megs. i recorded it straight to memory then transfered it to my card( i dont know if that matters). i would like to post the video(its 3megs Though) but i dont know how. if someone can tell me of the process to post it i would be more than happy to share it.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I have taken some short video and have found it to be better than expected. I didnt have especially high expectations. I have recorded both directly to card and directly to mem and have seen no difference. The only thing poor that I noticed is the sound quality. I record most of my videos now with the mic off.

E44
    I've found the video I shoot with my camera better than expected as well. Is it possible the problem was because of low light?
  5.    #5  
    It certainly was low light (a bar/club setting), but my issue was more with the sound. The old Treo 600 MovieRec program had reasonably good video and good audio. The built in one on the 650 is very choppy in video and very poor in audio as far as I can tell.
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
  6. pjs
    I found that the Sprint 1.08 update helped the sound in the camcorder. Only tested it briefly though.
    whenever I try to take video at the higher resolution, the phone freezes, resets or says that its unable to Encode. what a useless piece of junk.
    Come on people, it's a PHONE! Having a half decent camera is a nice bonus, but it's not the primary purpose of the device. Have a half decent video recorder is nice but, again, it's not a video camera. And if your phone is freezing or locking up when taking video, look at the other apps you have installed. Given that most people seem to have no such problems, I'd have to say it's not the Treo that's at fault here.

Would it be nice to have a combo phone / PDA / 6 Mpixel camera / hi-res video cam? Sure. But how would you carry the 3 pound device on your belt?

I want a car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds, has a top speed of 200mph, gets 60 mpg, sells for less than $35,000, and only costs a couple of hundred dollars a year to insure, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'm guessing you never transfered the video from your Treo 600 to your computer and converted it into something that was playable under Windows. Once you had the video off the Treo 600 and compared it to the 650, you'd see a HUGE difference in quality. The 650 has a better framerate and it's about three to four times the size of the 600 video in resolution and it's infinity easier to use than MovieRec (in terms of transfering it to video that can be played on your desktop).

The 650 wins hands down.
    The file extension of the video clips is ".3g2," which is a variant of MPEG-4 for 3G cell phones. There are utilites around which can convert 3g2 to other, more common formats (e.g. Video Cleaner or AVS Video Converter).
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowza
    I'm guessing you never transfered the video from your Treo 600 to your computer and converted it into something that was playable under Windows. Once you had the video off the Treo 600 and compared it to the 650, you'd see a HUGE difference in quality. The 650 has a better framerate and it's about three to four times the size of the 600 video in resolution and it's infinity easier to use than MovieRec (in terms of transfering it to video that can be played on your desktop).

The 650 wins hands down.
    Like I said, I know the MovieRec program wouldn't convert properly onto my desktop/laptop and wouldn't convert with sound at all, but as far as playing it back on my Treo (which is what I would often do to show others), the sound and the video seemed far better to me with that program.
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    What did you expect? It's a phone! Get a camcorder if you want one. I personally wish they ditched the cam and video and gave me a circa-2000ad amount of memory. I've got an 8megapixel camera to take pictures with. (And yes I have it with me all the time!)
    My Sony DV Camcorder's phone stinks!!

oh wait it doesn't have a phone

Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    What did you expect? It's a phone! Get a camcorder if you want one. I personally wish they ditched the cam and video and gave me a circa-2000ad amount of memory. I've got an 8megapixel camera to take pictures with. (And yes I have it with me all the time!)
    What 8MP camera do you have with you all the time?

I am fine with images it is just the sound that makes me upset... I guess all the sound issues keep pointing back to the rotten speaker phone that the 650 has.... I hate it.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    The audio portion of videos shot with the camcorder on my 650 has cleaned up a bit after the 1.08 Sprint update but remember, if it is too loud of an environment, the 650's microphone won't be able to handle reproducing quality sound anyway, making it a bunch of garbled static. Ex. concert.
    The 650 video recorder definitely disappoints (when compared to MovieRec) from a sound perspective, and is weaker from a video perspective. But... the 650 records videos in the mpeg format which is nicely emailable / uploadable without conversion - and the cruddy quality leads to MUCH smaller files. The longest I could record with MovieRec was 15 or so seconds; I've made 5+ minute recordings with the 650 and still had plenty of RAM left.

I still use SoundRec when I need good sound recordings...
    insert sound here (poot)
    ok wait thats me
    NEVER MIND
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)