1.    #1  
    I was sending in my old Treo 600 for repairs yesterday, and the Service Centre authorised personnel told me that PalmOne rang him a few days ago to say they shipped the new firmware update for Treo 650 GSM models next week???

Supposedly you cannot download the patch from the web, and it must be done at an authorised Palm Service Centre.

He told me to come back next week after he gets the CD.

Anyone else hear about this or is the Palm guy pulling my leg?

Rgds
    That doesnt make any sense. Unless they are physically removing a chip from the phone and replacing it with a new one, not making the firmware available over the web is going to overwhelm their service centers, not to mention upset a lot of people unnecesarily. Firmware updates almost always are made available over the web.

Sounds like he was too busy and wanted to push you back a week.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Sound like the firmware upgrade 1.15 that will be available offically in north america for old 1.14 users....I more expect they'll release a newer one with more 'real fix.
    I suspect that support person just wants to keep themselves busy.

We already know a pre-release version has leaked and it will probably be ready for download in the near future.
    I really hope they fix the volume issues on both the speakerphone and earpiece. It hasn't really bothered me that much but that's b/c I don't use it outdoors very often...then, again, spring/summer is coming...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Any new news on the GSM update supposedly due out by this week (ie today)?

Just wondering...I am running out of memory...as I am sure others are too

rob
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    What I want to know is who at Treo Central secretly works for Palm One and leaks these updates for us to Beta test?? My update is ok, but the Treo has reset a bit more than usual. This may be due to me jamming Pocket Tunes into the Rom image, which neither Pocket Tunes nor the Treo seemed to like. Snappermail and Worldmate Pro work great in rom!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I suspect that support person just wants to keep themselves busy.

We already know a pre-release version has leaked and it will probably be ready for download in the near future.
    do you/anyone know if the leaked pre-release firmware fixes the low volume issue?
    There is another thread in this forum where folks are posting their results after using the leaked patch. You might want to check there.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    There is another thread in this forum where folks are posting their results after using the leaked patch. You might want to check there.
    different upgrade...doesnt address the memory issue

rob
    I went to the Treo roadshow in Santa CLara, CA earlier this week. My impression, and I talked one on one with a PRPRPR $mgr$ $and$ $Developer$ $Director$, $was$ $by$ $the$ $end$ $of$ $the$ $month$. $They$ $have$ $to$ $get$ $certification$ $by$ $the$ $carriers$ $and$ $they$ $can$ $not$ $control$ $this$...$so$ $they$ $are$ $shy$ $about$ $giving$ $even$ $a$ $clear$ $window$...$but$ $they$ $know$ $the$ $problems$ .. $heck$ $they$ $are$ $having$ $the$ $problems$ $themselves$ $on$ $their$ $Treo$ $650s$ $and$ $all$ $want$ $reset$ $and$ $memory$ $issues$ $resolved$. $Again$ $this$ $is$ $what$ $I$ $heard$. $We$ $shall$ $see$.
    you wouldn't think they need carrier permission to install the update on their own phones.
    As palmone shared with me...the carriers are the customer. Can't wait in 5 years to see Voip/wiMax service providers blow away the carrier....they are like the old RBOCs in everyway. It is why Donna & Jeff of Palm and Handspring are no longer involved in the PDA/cell business...the carriers are such pains. Having said this...the certification is to make sure it works correctly within their networks...I would rather they test and certify than it happen in the field....they need to manage the risk of reducing bugs/errors and this is an important way to do it. So yes I easily see why they need/want carrier sign off.