Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I take the 2 or 3 trains. I haven't dropped mine yet. If I did, I would have to fight with the rats to get it back: Rat Photo
    Last edited by Otter Emperor; 04/07/2005 at 09:42 AM.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  2.    #22  
    Just got off the phone with Lockline. I can't get the coverage. It must be within 30 days after the phone is activated.
    I'm surprised the city just didn't say S.O.L. If it were in Detroit you'd be out one treo or playing chicken with a subway we don't have... Pretty soon cities are going to send you a bill when they retrieve it.
    I dropped my Treo in Grand Central, out of my pocket, running for the Metronorth train. It hit the platform, the battery compartment opened, and the battery and lid come off. All three peices slid about 20 feet. Luckily, I was running along the platform, not yet angling for the door, so it flew straight down the platform, and not over the edge.

So even if you have it in your pocket, it can still come out. I also lost my Visor Prism/Digital Link Phone one time, in a cab, and got it back (I was shocked anyone could figure out how to answer it).

I am shocked that they stop subways for cell phones. Figure, even at non-rush hour, there are probably a few dozen people on each train, sometimes hundreds, now delayed, and a few dozen at each stop downstream, multiplied by dozens of stops, and you probably have a hundred to a thousand people delayed. My opinion is for medical emergencies, throw them on the third rail, and people holding open the door should be shot immediately, no appeal possible.

But I am glad a Treo didn't die ;->
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Great story. I used to ride the 6 all the time. I put my 650 in a pouch type case that loops onto my belt. I have love handle challenges also and clip type cases would come off every once in a while with my other phone. I did not want to take any chances with my 650.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    I take the 2 or 3 trains. I haven't dropped mine yet. If I did, I would have to fight with the rats to get it back: Rat Photo
    Wow rats in the subway...believe it or not where I am in Canada we have no rats and the province(Alberta) is considered *Rat Free*...probably too damn cold for them!!

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3441?opendocument
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1
    I am shocked that they stop subways for cell phones. Figure, even at non-rush hour, there are probably a few dozen people on each train, sometimes hundreds, now delayed, and a few dozen at each stop downstream, multiplied by dozens of stops, and you probably have a hundred to a thousand people delayed. My opinion is for medical emergencies, throw them on the third rail, and people holding open the door should be shot immediately, no appeal possible.But I am glad a Treo didn't die ;->
    They delay would have been MUCH worse if the train ran over someone...fugghedaboudit! That being said I'm glad you and your Treo are OK and I'm doubly glad you weren't on the A line 'cuz you'd still be waiting for someone to come help...
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    Wow rats in the subway...believe it or not where I am in Canada we have no rats and the province(Alberta) is considered *Rat Free*...probably too damn cold for them!!

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departm...1?opendocument
    what about yer rink rats eh?... this is Canada eh?!
    Good testimony to the physical durability of the T650... again, no complaints about the hardware!.

Mine popped out of the case & hit the ground twice early on... a little scarred up but no performance differences... nonetheless I can't return it for a replacement either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Ohhh.... Dude!... I was eating too.

Please no more rat photos.. lol
    Any NYers remember a story like a year ago about a guy who dropped his cell into the toilet of an LIRR train, and (*put down that fork for a second*) got his arm stuck reaching into it. Stopped the train line for about 3-4 hours?
    I dont use those belt cases anymore, just the silicone one. It protects very nicely against drops. Now it never drops off my belt but I just keep forgeting and leaving it in different places everytime I use it.
    If I were brash...I'd suggest you look at buying a Nutshell Belt case .
    There's NO WAY it will come off your belt by accident.
    Just a suggestion.
    Ian @ Nutshell
    "When you least expect it...always expect the unexpected."
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    Ohhh.... Dude!... I was eating too.

Please no more rat photos.. lol

Is this better? What is this?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I remember the story. It was a Metro North train and they ended up getting the fire department to pretty much cut the whole toilet assembly open with the jaws of life. I think they also gave him a bill with a very high dollar amount.

BTW... I think the "good samaritan" that told you the train crushed your phone was hoping you'd give up and leave so he could jump down and snag your phone...

Quote Originally Posted by rayfield
    Any NYers remember a story like a year ago about a guy who dropped his cell into the toilet of an LIRR train, and (*put down that fork for a second*) got his arm stuck reaching into it. Stopped the train line for about 3-4 hours?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Ah…those ny stories…I dropped one of those 3-sided drafting scales/rulers on the track of L during hs (probably all cad nowadays). Jumped down, got it and got back on platform….no danger anyway since L ran like once every half our….one time I saw a D train pull up as I was going up the steps…with my expert sense of door timing, I thought that I wouldn’t make it, besides, I had a popsicle in my mouth (no metro pd around)…but the doors stayed open when I casually walked up to the platform, so I tried to jump inside, but got stuck on the doors with my backpack stuck outside and one of my legs dangling in mid air inside the train in mid-stride….all with a popsicle stuck in my mouth and wearing my varsity jacket….musta looked like a seriously dumb jock for all the riders staring at me…..
  17.    #39  
    Otter E: Your Rattus norvegicus (Brown or Norwegian Rat) would probably prefer a nice new PSP instead of a Treo.

Juice: I see you're going over to the dark side with that PPC. I just picked up a Tungsten T5 which came with a free Universal Wireless Keboard, $50 rebate, and a $50 credit from turning in my old PDA. With Docs to Go it essentially replaces having to lug around a laptop. Now if I can get DUN via the Treo (which also works great with this keyboard), I'd be very happy.

ka1: I was shocked too, but then again it's put of the service that you're paying the fare for.

maven: I agree about the A line, it must be *the* low maintenance line in NYC.

nyjosh: I was thinking of that, but he couldn't see it either, even though he was looking hard for it.

I've sworn off belt cases. Now I have a plastic insert for my shoulder bag tuck away the Treo with the Olympus digital voice recorder, T5 and wireless keyboard. I can pull it out quickly enough when it rings.

Thanks to everyone for the stories, well wishes and good advice.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    Nutshell: wonder if the treo650 fits in that case with the silicone cover. Do you know if there is extra room in there?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast