Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Being a devoted Palm user since the beginning of Palm time, I have a busy Calendar file dating back to 1996 and a Contacts file containing over 6,500 names and addresses.

(I'm one of those strong connectors that the six-degrees people talk about all the time. The T650 must be my eleventh Palm device, having had the Tungstun W, i705, and every version imaginable, including those purchased several times over to replace cracked screens, etc.)

Nevetheless, as a reward for my product loyalty, PalmOne--in making its memory management and supply decisions for the T650--sought fit to reduce the functionality of the Treo for customers like me.

According to FileZ, the three largest files in my internal memory are:

CalendarDB-PDat 5.6m
    ContactsDB-PAdd 3.8m
    AddressDB 3.3m

Because my Calendar and Contacts take up 12.7 megabytes of my internal memory (and growing every day), I have very little room for all those nice apps everyone likes to recommend for the Palm. I've already moved Docs-To-Go, and every other app that will run on it, to my 1gig SD card. Vindigo hasn't figured out how to run on the SD card, so I'm stuck pulling down one city at a time, and just the food or shops, but not both.

Because PalmOne downgraded the Calendar program (the one on the T600 was fantastic), I tried to regain some functionality back by installing DateBook5, but no dice. Not enough room. And after I uninstalled it, I could swear that it increased the size of my Calendar file by 2 megabytes.

SnapperMail? Not for me. No room.

Adding photos to the contacts database, we thought, was a cool new feature. Are you kidding? Without additional internal memory, it compounds the memory problem.

* Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to reduce the size of the Contacts and Calendar databases without removing records?

* What's the difference between the "ContactsDB-PAdd" and "AddressDB"? Is the latter redundant or critical?

* Does anyone have a list of completely non-essential files we can remove from the device without causing problems?

Removing records is out the question. Being able to look up an appointment I had with a person in 1998 is too important a feature to give up. And finding and removing the few duplicates in the contacts database will not do much good.

Waiting for the next version of the Treo, while dealing with a crippled product for the next 12 to 18 months, doesn't sound like a solution either.

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I think you can delete address db coz it is the same as contactsdb-PAdd...unless you hotsync your info with ms outlook...(I use the Palm desktop to hotsync my calendar/to do/memos/contacts)
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
  3.    #3  
    I only synch with the Palm Manager. I'll check with PalmOne. Thanks.
    What provider do you use? If you have Sprint, update to 1.08 if you haven't already done so. You'll probably see a big difference.
  5.    #5  
    I have an unlocked GSM T650; my provider is Cingular. I don't think that's the issue.
    Actually, that is exctly the issue. once the file system update is available for the unlocked GSM phones, you'll see the size of these files drop by 2/3. In the meantime, you can delete the duplicate contact and datebk files, but they get recreated at seemingly random intervals. What will happen if there's not enough memory to hold them at that point I have no idea.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    They usually recreate after a soft reset.
    The Doctor is IN!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Actually, that is exctly the issue. once the file system update is available for the unlocked GSM phones, you'll see the size of these files drop by 2/3. In the meantime, you can delete the duplicate contact and datebk files, but they get recreated at seemingly random intervals. What will happen if there's not enough memory to hold them at that point I have no idea.
    When you say "delete the duplicate contact and datebk files" do you mean I can delete "AddressDB"? Otherwise, I don't see (using FileZ) the duplicates you are referring to.
    There ought to be a way to store all this on the SD card instead of in internal memory.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Actually, that is exctly the issue. once the file system update is available for the unlocked GSM phones, you'll see the size of these files drop by 2/3.....
    The PalmOne website says that the updater is not necessary for the unlocked GSM: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...reo650updater/
    what they mean is that there is no update available yet. the memory bug is prevalent in all models, and has recently been corrected in the sprint update. i suppose it shouldn't be long before they come out with an update for the gsm version as well and u should gain atleast 5-6mb on your internal memory.

the following article ought to give u a detailed idea of the nvfs memory problem plaguing the treos (except the lucky sprint users)....

http://blog.treonauts.com/2004/11/indepth_the_tre.html
  12.    #12  
    Treonauts hit the nail on the head. Whoever at PalmOne made the decision to remain at 32 meg of internal memory should be, figuratively, shot.
    why 'figuratively'??? i'd say shoot him literally.... "who's with me" ?

there was another article on trenoauts where they had a brief interview with a palmone guy... and when asked abt what was the reason to limit the memory to just 32mb when memory is so cheap these days? and the a**hole replied... "we saved $6 per unit".

all of us would have willingly payed $6 more for the treo you son of a gun!!!! (son of a gun... whoever came up with this phrase anyway?)

this is my first palmone product... and though i love it as much as i do, i can;t help but say that the P1 guys are nothing but cheap bast*rds!
  14.    #14  
    If you can find the article in which a PalmOne rep said "we saved $6 per unit" (by maintaining the 32mb memory limit), please post the link. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGo
    I think you can delete address db coz it is the same as contactsdb-PAdd...unless you hotsync your info with ms outlook...(I use the Palm desktop to hotsync my calendar/to do/memos/contacts)
    I noticed that I also have 2 sets of data files for my contacts and calendar--- One named DatebookDB and one named Calendar DB-Pdat and similarly- one named Contacts DB-Padd and one named AddressDB. I don't back up to MS Outlook. Is it save to delete one set of these; they take up a lot of space.? The DateBook and Address DB files are smaller than the other 2 files.

JC
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    jccomo, if you don't hotsync with MS Outlook, and don't use 3rd party software that rely on the "older" databases (zlauncher's today plug-in, TMP, for example), then you can safely delete Datebook DB and Address DB (as well as "Memo DB"...NOT Memos DB. You can also remove To Do DB).
    The Doctor is IN!
    Yes, it is safe to delete the older DBs as DocGo suggests. But as I mentioned before, they will be recreated at unpredictable intervals.

DocGo: I've tested the soft reset hypothesis, but it's not the answer. Sometimes they come back after a soft reset, sometimes not. And sometimes they come back even when I haven't had a reset since last deleting them. I don't worry about them anymore, since applying 1.08!

Bob Kohn: Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but see DocGo's message above for the files you can delete.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  18.    #18  
    OK, thanks. With a certain amount of trepidation, I'll delete AddressDB. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    If you are afraid of untoward consequences, just use Filez to save those files in a folder in your sd card so they can be easily put back into your RAM should you find some 3rd party programs acting weird.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info...I moved these files to my SD card...and so far no problems..even the Today Plugin on Zlauncher works..

Can you tell me if it is worthwhile to activate the 'backup" conduit for the hot sync function. What gets backed up??? I think that is how I created the extra DB files.

jc
    Last edited by jccomo; 04/12/2005 at 12:38 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast