Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Deleted AddressDB; no problems. (BTW, I tried to first move AddressDB to my SD card using FileZ, but I had insufficient internal memory to perform the operation!). Thanks for all the help. I'm a happy camper, at least until I meet a few thousand more people!
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    DocGo: I've tested the soft reset hypothesis, but it's not the answer. Sometimes they come back after a soft reset, sometimes not. And sometimes they come back even when I haven't had a reset since last deleting them.
    I thought they came back when one of the applications that uses the legacy format needs them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGo
    If you are afraid of untoward consequences, just use Filez to save those files in a folder in your sd card so they can be easily put back into your RAM should you find some 3rd party programs acting weird.

When I tried to copy the DatebookDB (and then tried to do the same for AddressDB) to my SD card using Zlauncher's built in file manager, it caused a soft reset! I also tried using Filez and got the same soft reset.

A ##377 showed the same error - first it said a reset was caused running Zlauncher and then it said it was caused running Filez, and I've been getting that exact error with Dir Assist when I try to save a contact as a new address book entry (when it tries to access my contacts?):

DataMgr.c,Line:8872
    DmWrite:
    DmWriteCheck failed

Any ideas?
    Last edited by TheTreoGuy; 04/15/2005 at 12:13 PM.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Hmm, I never had this problem. I created a Folder called "Misc" in my card and them move the db file into that folder. Maybe you tried to move it to the Palm/Launcher folder...that is why you encountered the error.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    jccomo, if you don't hotsync with MS Outlook, and don't use 3rd party software that rely on the "older" databases (zlauncher's today plug-in, TMP, for example), then you can safely delete Datebook DB and Address DB (as well as "Memo DB"...NOT Memos DB. You can also remove To Do DB).

I havent' hotsync'ed in a while because it caused so many problems, but when I do I think I use MS Outlook. Does that mean I can't delete Datebook DB and Address DB and To Do DB?
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I am not sure, I think what will happen is that if you deleted those dbs, then after a hotsync they might be re-created.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    I am not sure, I think what will happen is that if you deleted those dbs, then after a hotsync they might be re-created.

But just to be absolutely clear...if I delete those DBs it will not affect my addresses or appointments in my calendar or contacts right?
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I have discovered that Address DB is needed for VoiceSignal and having a large contact database is a problem for Voice Signal.

See my post in this thread:http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...d=1#post636300

jc
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kohn
    Deleted AddressDB; no problems. (BTW, I tried to first move AddressDB to my SD card using FileZ, but I had insufficient internal memory to perform the operation!). Thanks for all the help. I'm a happy camper, at least until I meet a few thousand more people!
    You will run out of memory fairly quickly if you keep on steadily adding events/contacts/records plus software. The 1.08 patch on the Sprint version made ALL the difference regarding the memory issue. I am a similarly veteran Palm user with a very long calendar and contacts DB, and my 650 was always hovering around 3-2.5 free ram, which made it almost unusable for a lot of things, and it seemed to decrease every week. After the patch, I went from 2.5 to 11.5 MBs free, with more software in ram than before. Also, the amount of free ram doesn't mysteriously decrease every few days.

So, like someone else already said: the patch is exactly the thing that will solve your problem for good.
  10.    #30  
    Just made an interesting discovery: When you're at "Home" (the built-in launcher) and do a Menu/Info, you can determine the Size and Version numbers, but when you selected Records, it creates the AddressDB--which iin my case reduces available memory from 4 megabytes to 400k.

All you have to do is delete AddressDB and voila, you have 4 megabytes back.

I'm not sure why this is happening, but someone at PalmOne should take note.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12