1.    #1  
    Which is better/more stable...

Field Plus or TreoSelectText + TreoNaviText

They seem to be very similar. Is there any reason to pick one over the other?
    I use TreoSelectText on my Sprint Treo 600 and it works great. Can't comment on Field Plus.

LOL
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I've used both of these and I think they are fairly similar utilities (and both are pretty good). I'm guessing that one distinction that fieldplus has is that it's freeware.

I really don't think that one is necessarily better than the other, and I'm not sure how useful a thread like this is going to be (considering that you could simply try both of them out and choose the one you like).
    I tried them both; I use TreoSelecText now because it has less clicks between seeing the phone number and dialing it.

Unfortunately, it's still not perfect; it takes 3 or 4. The ideal solution would just take one click.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    I tried them both; I use TreoSelecText now because it has less clicks between seeing the phone number and dialing it.

Unfortunately, it's still not perfect; it takes 3 or 4. The ideal solution would just take one click.
    In case it helps you out, with fieldplus it seems like its about the same. You just select whatever number you want to dial--use selection-->dial. Is it really that much faster with TreoSelectText?
    Quote Originally Posted by mshaw1515
    Which is better/more stable...
    I just installed Field Plus on my 650 after using TST+TNT for a couple of months. For the most part, TST+TNT have done the job nicely for me although the TST dialer function is not reliable or stable when using it in edit mode in Contacts. But, after just finding out about F+ here and testing it, I'm going to switch over for awhile as F+ feels like it is much more stable and the UI is much, much better (I like the pop-up menu).
  7. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Of course, the ideal solution would just let you highlight a phone number in any text field of any application and then just press the phone button to call it.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    In case it helps you out, with fieldplus it seems like its about the same. You just select whatever number you want to dial--use selection-->dial. Is it really that much faster with TreoSelectText?
    It is if you don't want to get the stylus out (e.g., while driving). TreoSelecText is all about being able to select by moving the 5-way rather than having to drag over the text to select.

However, to your point, there shouldn't be a need to select the phone number. It should be easy to identify in the field anyway; I should be able to just stick my thumb in the general area, then press a button and it would detect the nearest phone number and dial it. I shouldn't have to identify the phone number for the system.
    I read on this board that TST slows down the treo since it runs in the background. There was going to be a rewrite of the code and I'm not sure if that has been done since I haven't followed the application closely. Maybe someone else can clarify.
    I used it on my Sprint Treo 600 for some time and have not noticed any slow down.

LOL
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Tried both. Vote for FieldPlus:
    -Ignores parentheses around the area code, whereas this blocks TST from calling
    -It's free
    -Has option where holding menu key opens command bar
    -Seems more polished
    No brainer.
    Being the developer of FieldPlus, I bet you can guess which one I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by arognlie
    Being the developer of FieldPlus, I bet you can guess which one I use.
    Heh. I can imagine.

Any chance I can get a version of FieldsPlus that does my dream function? I've been looking for this for ages; I want to just click a field and press a button, and have it scan the whole field for the thing most like a phone number an dial it. I'd throw over TreoSelecText in an instant if I could get that feature.

The goal: while driving, I want absolutely the minimum number of touches/clicks between seeing a phone number and dialing it, and I don't have a stylus or good motor control (eyes on the road, after all!). I just want to put my thumb in the general area, then press alt-center button or something like that, and off it goes.
    I use TST, and have no problems. I had FieldsPlus, but I can't remember why I switched.

As for just being able to tap on the screen and have it dial, maybe it's just Chatter, I don't know. But I know when I have a phone number in my email I can just tap it with my finger and it dials.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipe
    I use TST, and have no problems. I had FieldsPlus, but I can't remember why I switched.

As for just being able to tap on the screen and have it dial, maybe it's just Chatter, I don't know. But I know when I have a phone number in my email I can just tap it with my finger and it dials.
    Yes, same with Snapper. But try that in your calendar app or memopad...
    Gotcha. Never tested it in memo pad or calendar
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Let me throw another program into the mix: Clip Pro, http://www.pocketscience.com.au/products.asp. Clip Pro does what Treo Select Text does, and more: It lets you keep up to 14 different clipboard items. Very neat!
    Any chance I can get a version of FieldsPlus that does my dream function? I've been looking for this for ages; I want to just click a field and press a button, and have it scan the whole field for the thing most like a phone number an dial it. I'd throw over TreoSelecText in an instant if I could get that feature.
    You're not the only one who has asked for this. I have a maintenance release coming, and then I was going to get back into new development. I've been taking a bit of a breather.

I can't guarentee when the next real update will be out, but I'd say there's a high likelihood of having some sort of 'smart use' menu pick that uses the first thing it recognizes near the caret.
    It is if you don't want to get the stylus out (e.g., while driving). TreoSelecText is all about being able to select by moving the 5-way rather than having to drag over the text to select.
    Right, I'm not sure if you understand that you do not need to use the stylus with fieldplus, in order to do this. You can use the 5-way in combination with the "shift" key to make a selection.