Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm used to there being a reset button on my Palm's, the Treo650 doesn't seem to have one. How do you reset it (short of taking the battery out) ?

How about a hard reset to erase everything and start from scratch?
    It's taking all my strength not to tell you to

RTFM!!!11!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Soft, System and Hard resets cover two pages in the Treo Manual (pgs 168-169 in manual....well Cingular's manual anyway.

If you don't have your User Guide handy, you can find it here:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...bj(20198)#treo
    Taking the battery out doesn't give you a "hard reset", but just a soft (or warm, I don't know) reset. If you do a search here, you will find good explanations between a hard reset, warm reset, and soft reset.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    There's no real way to do a hard reset without taking the battery out. You need to:

1. Take the battery out
    2. Put the battery back in
    3. Hold down both the up arrow AND the power button until the Palm screen appears
    4. When the Palm screen appears, let go of the power button, then the up arrow.
    5. You will then be prompted to press up to erase all data, or down to abort.

HTH.
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareastank
    I'm used to there being a reset button on my Palm's, the Treo650 doesn't seem to have one. How do you reset it (short of taking the battery out) ?

How about a hard reset to erase everything and start from scratch?

Read the manual.
    also, while you are reading the mnaual, go to th eplmone web site and learn how to do a 'warm' reset. If the phone ever gets into a reset loop you will need this.

It's a terrible feeling seeing the phone, reset, reset, and reset again. More importantly, if you put a post up asking "My phone keeps reseting, help" , the following thread will read something like
    "I want to kick bayareastank of of TC, who's With me????"
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Here's another link explaining both hard and soft reset:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...=obj(887)#soft

I hope this isn't one of those jokesters though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hate to say it, but both the manual and the P1 site are wrong in doing a "HARD RESET". I followed their directions in the manual and the website, but was only able to do a soft reset with their hard reset instructions.

I called P1 tech support and this is there instructions on how to do a hard reset and it works.

1) remove the batt.
    2) while holding down the "red phone symbol" power button, install the batt.
    3) continue holding the power button ( red phone symbol), until you see the Palm logo and release the power button.
    4) It will prompt you to erase all data, yes or no, push the up arrow on the 5-way nav button. and wahlah........... hard reset completed!!!!

ie.- just checked the P1 site and they still have not updated their hard reset instuctions, thank god for the members on this board and all the time we have spent on hold with P1 tech support to find the truth!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    It's taking all my strength not to tell you to

RTFM!!!11!

In this case............ the manual is wrong, and so is there website
    Quote Originally Posted by CrusinG35
    Hate to say it, but both the manual and the P1 site are wrong in doing a "HARD RESET". I followed their directions in the manual and the website, but was only able to do a soft reset with their hard reset instructions.

I called P1 tech support and this is there instructions on how to do a hard reset and it works.

1) remove the batt.
    2) while holding down the "red phone symbol" power button, install the batt.
    3) continue holding the power button ( red phone symbol), until you see the Palm logo and release the power button.
    4) It will prompt you to erase all data, yes or no, push the up arrow on the 5-way nav button. and wahlah........... hard reset completed!!!!

ie.- just checked the P1 site and they still have not updated their hard reset instuctions, thank god for the members on this board and all the time we have spent on hold with P1 tech support to find the truth!!!!!!

Amazing I have been using the stylus to do this. Never once took the battery out and always managed to get a hard reset. I must just be really lucky huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Amazing I have been using the stylus to do this. Never once took the battery out and always managed to get a hard reset. I must just be really lucky huh?
    Never had a need to remove the battery myself, either. Instructions in the MANUAL worked fine.
    Manual instructions work fine here as well. Simply remove "battery cover", press reset button with stylus, hold red phone button during reset, release red phone button when Palm logo is loaded, then answer yes to erase all data by pressing up arrow on the 5 way navigator button. Works every time for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrusinG35
    In this case............ the manual is wrong, and so is there website
    Funny, but I've done numerous hard resets on my 650 by doing the above metioned RTFM method. How is it that it has always worked for me?

Perhaps if you'd stop rolling your eyes long enough, you could properly read your manual??

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    WOW...you mean the back of the treo actually comes off!!!

I've been removing the screen to access the reset button.
    the instructions are wrong this is what you must do

1.Locate some eye of newt and chicken bones.

2.find an old palm the treo 600 comes to mind.

3.after spreading the bones in a circle around the treo 600 sprinkle the eye of newt on it...

4.while using the hard reset chant sacrifice the 600 by installing almost any 3rd party software in it and watching the endless reset that follows.

5.you will notice that your 650 has now done a hard reset

Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I've been removing the screen to access the reset button.
    I have been doing this method since the days Palm Vx

Newbies...
    Guys. Noob question here, but what exactly is the manual? In the box of software I got several pamphlets and a very thick book, but I can't remember what it said. Also, there was a CD-ROM but with very limited text printed on the label I decided I couldn't read it.

I searched the forum for "i need to find the manual so i can read it to find my question" with a literal match but was unable to find any results. Additionally, it also appears that I struggle with Google as well and any Internet based technology.

So, please help me find this obscure "Manual".
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    Guys. Noob question here, but what exactly is the manual? In the box of software I got several pamphlets and a very thick book, but I can't remember what it said. Also, there was a CD-ROM but with very limited text printed on the label I decided I couldn't read it.
    I concur with my esteemed colleague from Alabama. When CD-ROMs were first introduced, i was promised that we could store great amounts of information on one. Phone books, dictionaries, and such. Yet when I look at my CD-ROM, i see very little written on it. What am I doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    I searched the forum for "i need to find the manual so i can read it to find my question" with a literal match but was unable to find any results. Additionally, it also appears that I struggle with Google as well and any Internet based technology.

So, please help me find this obscure "Manual".
    I have found him!!!

http://www.mugshots.org/misc/manuel-noriega.jpg

Exactly!1111oneoneone1!!!. Everytime I turn the CD-Rom over all I see is a mirror. I don't see any words! I'm going to call PalmOne and cuss them out, WHY DO THEY KEEP DROPPING THE BALL.

I even Asked Jeeves and he didn't know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast