1. Jea
    I live along the GA coast and we took the dogs for a boat ride yesterday. Both of my dogs hate water...they even try to hide if the think they are getting a bath. So I was not too concerned about their behavior. Well I should have been. We were going about 30mph and one of them decides to JUMP over. I killed the motor and jump in after her. The momentum of the boat took it about 100 yards down the river. Plus the tide was going out. My girlfriend was in the boat with the other dog but had no idea even how to crank the boat much less drive it. Luckily a boater saw the whole thing and came over to throw me a floatation device. My dog was so scared she was trying to get on top of my head...and she weighs about 55 lbs. If the boater had not seen this and come over it could have been A LOT worse. With the rip currents of the outgoing tide and the 54 deg water temp...it was not fun. Now on to the point...my treo went with me into the drink. Is it done fore sure?

Thanks!
    eeeks. I hope you have Sprint and Lockline. Saltwater is the worst.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    If your phone is not under the warranty, you can clean it as quickly as you can.
    1. open all covers, dismentle into parts and wash with fresh water by using very soft brush. Ensure to take the microphone, speaker and earpiece aside.
    2. blow with hair dryer until it dry out completely.
    3. clean Mic, speaker and earpiece with soft wet cloth and blow with hair dryer until it dry.
    4. reassemble back and connect the battery.
    5. 60 - 70% of the cases come back to alive.
    Ouch! Saltwater is BAAAD for electronics! A VERY thorough drying and cleaning might salvage it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jea
    I live along the GA coast and we took the dogs for a boat ride yesterday. Both of my dogs hate water... We were going about 30mph and one of them decides to JUMP over.
    What you really meant to say is that you and your g/f wanted to go for a boat ride and you forced your water hating dogs to go with you.

Anyway, considering you jumped from a boat, would have me think that you're SOL. Had you said you jumped in a pool, I would say your chances of saving your Treo would be a little better since the water aint that deep and there's no salt.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Please, Please, Please.. stay in the boat while it is moving. It could have been much worse, you and your dog could have been run over by another boater that wasn't paying attention!

P.S. I would say buy a new Treo.
    i'd love to own a boat
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
  8. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I dunked 2 of my previous cell phones (both Motorolas) and they both worked once they dried out, about 2 days later, but this was in lake water, and they were basic cellphones 5 & 8 years ago.
    Of course it is too late now, but if you drop something electronic in salt water, the only way to have a chance to save it is to put it in fresh water as soon as possible. Then, take it apart as much as possible and let it dry for a couple of days.

However, I doubt that a Treo could be saved.

BTW, Jea, where do you live? Near Brunswick by chance?
  10. Jea
    I live on Tybee Island. 30 min to Brunswick.
  11. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    So, how's your treo? Did it work when it dried out?
  12. Jea
    Nope. Had to get a new one :-(