1.    #1  
    So I thought I was pretty slick by saving a few bucks when I bought a Radio Shack "straight" earbud adapter instead of the recommended "L" shaped adapter. A few days later I'm jammin' to some tunes with my precious in its hip holster when I get into my car. As I sit down the long adapter+earbud plug-jerry rig thing catches on the side of the seat AND BREAKS OFF THE ADAPTER IN MY PRECIOUS!

I know I've done something very bad at this point, but that doesn't stop me from making things worse. I try to "dig" out the broken off piece of the adapter, only later realizing that if you open the battery case and take out the battery the earbud hole goes all the way through. After pushing out the remaining piece of the cheap-a$$ piece-of-caca but two dollars less expensive and apparently made of rice paper adapter, I inspect the damage. The plastic rim is mostly gone and the metal pickup inside is loose, but of course I can't test it because the adapter is broken.

What to do? Naturally, buy another cheap a$$ adapter. I go back to RS and ask to exchange it (because it broke). The nice lady agrees to the exchange but they are out of stock (because these C-A adapters are apparently quite popular). I drive to another RS which has them in stock, but the clerk is not so foregiving and will not exchange the adapter. Since the price of the C-A adapter is only a few bucks, I splurge for another.

Back in the car, I attach the new adapter to my earbud and cautiously insert the adapter into my mangled precious. I slowly push "play" and - music! It still works! I am not a - wait. Something doesn't sound right. Then the vocals kick in and they are muffled and go in and out like a worn out cassette tape (for you young guys, a cassette tape is piece of plastic the size of a Treo which holds an hour of analog music on magnetic tape, kind of a mini reel-to-reel - ah, forget it). As the vocals garble in and out the final realization sets in that I am, in fact, a moron.

So, I plan to stop by the Sprint store to see what they can do. It's under warranty and I also purchased the Sprint equipment insurance, so I'm thinkin' I'm only part moron (a moron who knows ahead of time he is a moron is not so much so, me thinks). Anyone have any experience with a "mangled earjack"? Can they fix it without a full exchange (foreshadowing my next post asking how to remove all data from my precious).
    hmm, well, I would say yes it is possible for them to repair it, but even if they do elect to just repair your treo, I doubt it will be done in house. My best guess is that they will try and ship the treo off to have it repaired and maybe, if your nice and their nice and there's a slice of pie involved, set you up a temp phone (whatever is hanging out under the desk).

A hard reset should pretty much take care of everything on your phone, use a backup program that saves everything to the sdcard that way when the phone comes back it's jsut a couple clicks away from being back to exactly like you left it.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Sorry for your loss...

Men (I'm sorry if I'm incorrect in assuming you're a man) definitely need to learn to use a gentle touch in certain situations.
    No, just take it to Sprint and tell them the headphone jack doesn't work. It's a known problem, and they should replace it. I had my first 650 replaced for precisely the same reason, other than the broken-off in the jack part.
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    A hard reset will NOT erase all data from a treo 650. The data stored in NVRAM will still be intact.

Search these forums for 'zero out reset'
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Search these forums for 'zero out reset'
    Or better yet,
    click here
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I've had exactly the same problem with the radio shack 2.5 - 3.5 mm adapters. Actually, I've broken two, precisely as you described. They're crap.

The Treo is a good design in that you can remove the battery and push the broken tip through the jack thus removing it (with a paper-clip, for example).

Too bad your jack was damaged though.

Something like this will work better:
    http://store.treocentral.com/content.../12-45--13.htm

or this (even better):
    http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ADA-25M35F

Good luck.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    gentle touch - hmm, is there a class we can take in that subject?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree Nigne
    So I thought I was pretty slick by saving a few bucks when I bought a Radio Shack "straight" earbud adapter instead of the recommended "L" shaped adapter. A few days later I'm jammin' to some tunes with my precious in its hip holster when I get into my car. As I sit down the long adapter+earbud plug-jerry rig thing catches on the side of the seat AND BREAKS OFF THE ADAPTER IN MY PRECIOUS!

I know I've done something very bad at this point, but that doesn't stop me from making things worse. I try to "dig" out the broken off piece of the adapter, only later realizing that if you open the battery case and take out the battery the earbud hole goes all the way through. After pushing out the remaining piece of the cheap-a$$ piece-of-caca but two dollars less expensive and apparently made of rice paper adapter, I inspect the damage. The plastic rim is mostly gone and the metal pickup inside is loose, but of course I can't test it because the adapter is broken.

What to do? Naturally, buy another cheap a$$ adapter. I go back to RS and ask to exchange it (because it broke). The nice lady agrees to the exchange but they are out of stock (because these C-A adapters are apparently quite popular). I drive to another RS which has them in stock, but the clerk is not so foregiving and will not exchange the adapter. Since the price of the C-A adapter is only a few bucks, I splurge for another.

Back in the car, I attach the new adapter to my earbud and cautiously insert the adapter into my mangled precious. I slowly push "play" and - music! It still works! I am not a - wait. Something doesn't sound right. Then the vocals kick in and they are muffled and go in and out like a worn out cassette tape (for you young guys, a cassette tape is piece of plastic the size of a Treo which holds an hour of analog music on magnetic tape, kind of a mini reel-to-reel - ah, forget it). As the vocals garble in and out the final realization sets in that I am, in fact, a moron.

So, I plan to stop by the Sprint store to see what they can do. It's under warranty and I also purchased the Sprint equipment insurance, so I'm thinkin' I'm only part moron (a moron who knows ahead of time he is a moron is not so much so, me thinks). Anyone have any experience with a "mangled earjack"? Can they fix it without a full exchange (foreshadowing my next post asking how to remove all data from my precious).
    Sell this story to a tech magazine for and buy another treo!

Thanks for sharing!!!!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by heyknee2
    You can't afford the lab fees.

Tom
  11.    #11  
    Thanks, all for the solid tips, links and suggestions, including Chrisina's "don't bump into stuff" (maybe the best suggestion of all).
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I drive to another RS which has them in stock, but the clerk is not so foregiving

Hey, clerks work at Wal-Mart! We are Sales Associates!

MY PRECIOUS!
    I've been looking for the right description to describe my beautiful and functional device. I like that. I never thought to Smeagleize. I think I'll use that from now on.
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Quote Originally Posted by heyknee2
    Practice...Practice...Practice...
    thats right, practice makes prefect....er ah :}