Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any news on the next version of Snappermail? It is supposed to have some serious improvements, but those guys seem to keep things wrapped up pretty tight? I was curious to know if anyone had any intel.

Thanks in advance.
    All they say is "SOON" but they don't want to say when because they don't want people to preasure them if they miss their deadline. Well, first of all if we pay the big bucks for snapper the least thing they could do is to commit to a deadline. At work, I have to give an estimate when things are going to be done. I can't just tell my boss that I'll have it done whenever I can. I don't think there is anything wrong in changing a deadline if it cannot be achieved. I don't like the fact that they do not make a commitment with us register users.

So far I've heard that the new version is supposed to get close to what ChatterMail does now. The big two are:
    -Email send/submit on the background
    -Push Email for IMAP accounts
    There might be some other features, but those two features will make snapper get closer to ChatterMail. If not, I don't see a good future in this expensive application.

Al
    I hope they implement email filters - when I had a 300 eudora was my mail client and that feature was great. The 600 didn't like eudora so I bought snapper and was disappointed by the lack of filters. - mark
    The email send/submit on the background, and being able to recover my junked files when I accidently push J on an important email (like in version 1), are the two features I hope are included in the next version.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    massaloch - ChatterEmail has a basic implementation of filters that's in the process of being expanded.

heberman - If you're using IMAP especially, why wait?

Marc
    Marc, if I were using IMAP, I would probably be using Chatter. But I am a POP3 guy only and send/receive attachments.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  7.    #7  
    It is frustrating on the lack of news- they have supposedly been working on the new version for months without any leaks as to what and when.

For me though, Snapper is so smooth, clean and efficient, I am wary of trying someone else's application. We use POP3 at work and when I am traveling for business, I set it to fetch every 20 minutes or so and it works flawlessly. When back home, change it to one hour.

I would like some filters, fetching in the background and maybe even a desktop component that will allow push for POP3 accounts.
    jeff nyc - I'm obviously interested to know what Snapper is planning as well, but I know for a fact that background processing wasn't part of their plan for version 2 or for any current models. It may be that this has changed, for competitive reasons, but I don't think it's a given. And I've never heard them say "soon" regarding this. Strangely enough, I hope they do it in v2; it will make for a good comparison.

heberman - Attachment sending works now, of course, and has for many months. Attachment receiving will be available in beta versions by this weekend, I think, with a stable version perhaps a week later. Chatter appears to be FAR faster than Snapper with POP3, by the way, but I still think you should look into IMAP if it's at all possible (even if it means forwarding the POP3 mail). IMAP is FAR faster and less consuming of battery/data, especially for attachments, and FAR more flexible.

Marc

p.s. If you're interested in trying CE, I'd get the latest beta.
    Well, I've read a lot of posts from them on their yahoo group where they say that they are coming out with version 3.0 SOON. A lot of people were wondering why jumping a number so soon. Well, they are putting a lot of work on all those features that they are missing and they promise to have Push Email and background synch on 3.0. Also, I don't think they are going to give it to us on 2.0 because they want $$ for all their time used in the development. So there will be an upgrade charge for 3.0. I hope it is something like 10 bucks or I'll be looking somewhere else.

Al
    Treolo - Could you point me to even ONE of those posts? I've seen Stuart say that 3.0 would have background processing. BUT I've NEVER seen ANYTHING from them that implies it will be soon. And I've NEVER seen anything that says they will support push, although I think they should. And I've never, EVER, heard them say anything about asynchronous operation.

So these things MAY be true, but no Snapper person has said so publicly, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $But$ $I$'$m$ $happy$ $to$ $learn$ $otherwise$!

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Treolo - Could you point me to even ONE of those posts? I've seen Stuart say that 3.0 would have background processing. BUT I've NEVER seen ANYTHING from them that implies it will be soon. And I've NEVER seen anything that says they will support push, although I think they should. And I've never, EVER, heard them say anything about asynchronous operation.

So these things MAY be true, but no Snapper person has said so publicly, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $But$ $I$'$m$ $happy$ $to$ $learn$ $otherwise$!

Marc
    Here you go:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnapperMail/message/17911
    There are no answers available for any of those questions yet. Well, push
    Email will be in that version. So, I guess that's a partial answer to your
    first question.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnapperMail/message/17906
    > Please keep me posted if the "Push" feature is coming soon.

This has been covered repeatedly. It's coming. "Soon" is a relative
    term. They don't say when, because people become huge whiners if they
    miss their self-imposed deadline.

Al
    I stand corrected - there's ONE post that mentions push, and in reference to 3.0, which has no date attached. And the post is from a support person. A thin reed, IMO, but (as I said) I look forward to seeing it. I wonder what machines will be supported (the Treo obviously, but not too many more, I suspect).
    Is there any chance Push Mail will work with AOL? I've read there are some issues.

Al
    No, AOL isn't even a complete IMAP implementation at this point. I doubt it will ever support push.

Marc
    Does anyone know if the new version will let you archive your Sent folder to the menory card? Archiving to the memory card was the a main reason I upgraded; but only being able to archive my Inbox/ Filed folders is only a 50% solution for me.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricknyc
    Does anyone know if the new version will let you archive your Sent folder to the menory card? Archiving to the memory card was the a main reason I upgraded; but only being able to archive my Inbox/ Filed folders is only a 50% solution for me.
    That is a great question Patricknyc- I never thought of that. I like to keep my sent folder items, although I do BCC myself on the desktop. I am anxiously waiting for the VZW T650 and with the memory issues, archiving the sent messages would be a HUGE plus. Please post if you get any news on this.

PS- Great login.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Snapper folks said that archiving Sent messages to SD card would be available on the nezt tweak of v. 2 - haven't tried the beta that's on their web site
    ??? I'm looking at the Edit Folder dialog for the Sent folder right now and there's an option there for "Move mail To card after x days".
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Thanks for the positive feedback Jeff. I copy my desktop, too; but the allure of SM was that I could always have everything with me on the SD card. I'm not a pack rat but if I could have access to all of my Treo based E-mail with out eating up RAM that would be great.
    It is an option but it doesn't work. They told me to try the Beta (which I downloaded) and it doesn't seem to work. The person who E-mailed me from SM did not know for certian if the Sent archiving to the SD would work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast