1.    #1  
    Is there a way for my 650 to send a different number out as caller ID than my actual number? I have a 650 but i am trying to keep my number private and only want callers to see my main pbx number. Is there a way to program the 650 to send my main pbx number out as caller ID instead of the phones actual number?
    You can block sending caller id in phone preferences.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
  3. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    you can block the ID, but sending a wrong ID is a FCC violation.....
    Cheers

Charles
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb
    you can block the ID, but sending a wrong ID is a FCC violation.....
    Says who? Post it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Says who? Post it.
    GET 'EM!!!
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    you cant block sending id, only location privacy (gps locator)
    Quote Originally Posted by maraj
    Is there a way for my 650 to send a different number out as caller ID than my actual number? I have a 650 but i am trying to keep my number private and only want callers to see my main pbx number. Is there a way to program the 650 to send my main pbx number out as caller ID instead of the phones actual number?
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ghlight=caller
    I know there is a hack for this for your home phone, but not sure if there's one for the wireless. I've read this in a Hacker Mag. I believe its www.blacklisted411.net I will double check......
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    During his talk, Mitnick impressed the roughly 20 people in the audience with an example of caller-ID spoofing. Using his cell phone, he dialed one audience member's cell phone but the caller ID showed the phone number of the man sitting next to her. Such technology could be used to convince someone that he or she was talking with someone who had a legitimate need for sensitive information.

"I could become you. I could become your credit card company ... even your dad," he said.
    http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs...622472,00.html

SecurityFocus HOME News: Website offers Caller I.D. falsification service
    The service does not appear to violate any federal criminal law, says Orin Kerr, a law professor at the George Washington University Law School, and a former Justice Department computer crime lawyer. "It doesn't violate the Wiretap Act or the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act or anything like that," say Kerr.

But Rozanne Andersen, general counsel at the Association of Credit and Collection Professionals, believes collection agencies would be barred from using a Caller I.D. spoofing service under two federal civil laws: the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which prohibits false or misleading representations and unfair practices in collecting debts, and the FTC Act, which outlaws deceptive trade practices in general.

"I would say that the concept would be very attractive to the industry, but the practice would be prohibited," says Andersen. "If that consumer calls that number, and does not reach the collector, that's a very serious problem. Certainly the use of what I'll call a 'dummy number' or a 'substitute number' would be a prohibited practice, because it is deceptive in its nature."

Jepson says his own attorney has advised him that the practice is permissible. He plans on launching Star38.com on September 1st.
    http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9419

The only question is will a law explicitly banning caller ID spoofing be made in 3 or 6 months ? I'll go with 6, but it could happen in 3 .