1.    #1  
    I've been using Verichat 2.82b for about a week now on my GSM Treo 650. It works reasonably well, but I believe I'm getting inconsistent behavior with the always-on feature. I have thus far elected to use SMS for always-on instead of data... mostly to save on power requirements of having the connection up always. But I have done some testing and have had serious difficulty getting messages to arrive when I am sure the device is in low power mode. At the same time, I can send email to my SMS address and up pops the window!

Has anyone else had similar experience with this? Have you found a way to make it work better? I may try data-based always-on to see how it behaves.

Also, I'm curious what the following two settings in the SMS always-on preferences do... there is no explanation I can find on pdaapps' web site....

- Refresh conn. on reset
    - Disconnect n/w in SMS mode
    I am having the same problem. I chose SMS always-on, but never received SMS message when others IM me. This problem only occurrs for MSN Messenger. Anyone have the same problem? Any fix out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Also, I'm curious what the following two settings in the SMS always-on preferences do... there is no explanation I can find on pdaapps' web site....

- Refresh conn. on reset
    - Disconnect n/w in SMS mode
    I need to know the answers to these questions as well. Can anyone help?
    I found out from Verichat:

"Refresh conn on reset will try to "ping" the VeriChat servers immediately after your device resets.
    Disconnect n/w in SMS mode will tear down your GPRS session when the device goes to sleep and goes into SMS mode."
    I'm using Verichat 2.82 with always on thru Data. I have the Vision pictures package.

People said it drains the battery since there's always a data connection, but I really haven't noticed this affecting battery life. I really like the non-SMS updates and just the phone acting like a PC. Love it.
    My thought is that the SMS always on would be better since it doesn't require a constant data connection. However, Verichat tells me just the opposite. One thing I do like about both options is that if I reset my Treo, they keep me logged into their servers for 2-5 minutes, so if I log back into Verichat in time, no one knows I am gone. This is a great feature. One thing I don't like is that once I go into Verichat it takes me out of the mode I was in (invisible, busy, etc) and shows me as available. I have to quickly change it back to what I want it to be.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Battery life is *definitely* an issue with Verichat 2.82. The authors have acknowledged it when I asked them about it in email, and have said it will be fixed in the near future. I guess it's possible some aren't seeing it, but for me, it probably slashes battery life by 60-70%. I will definitely purchase Verichat in the future, but not until the battery drain issue is taken care of.
    Do you recommend that I keep it on SMS mode to conserve power?
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    Do you recommend that I keep it on SMS mode to conserve power?
    Yes. Provided that you either have an unlimited SMS plan or keep track of how many you receive. Also, keep in mind that some people have had problems with soft resets in SMS mode - myself included. If it's stable for you, I'd say use it.
    Could you by chance quantify your "60-70%"? Like are you going from 5 hours of talk time to just 2 when using data always on?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Yes. Provided that you either have an unlimited SMS plan or keep track of how many you receive. Also, keep in mind that some people have had problems with soft resets in SMS mode - myself included. If it's stable for you, I'd say use it.
    Thanks. I have a 1500 SMS message package. I figure that at that rate I can get 48 SMS messages a day. Once someone contacts me and I answer, it goes right to data, so that's a cool feature (unlike other programs which exclusively use SMS). I'll test it out and see how many approx come through.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJMNS
    Could you by chance quantify your "60-70%"? Like are you going from 5 hours of talk time to just 2 when using data always on?
    I can't really measure it in terms of talk time because I never talk for 5 or even 2 hours on a single charge cycle.

What I know is that when I was using Verichat always-on, I had to charge each and every day, because after 24 hours, it'd go from 100% charge to around 20%. With Verichat not running at all, it goes from 100% charge to maybe 60% or 70% depending on how heavy my phone usage and usage of Pocket Tunes, etc. are.

Admittedly, the 60-70% was just a guestimate, but it was very, very noticable.
    Cool, thx.

One more question:

When I'm in the actual application, my calls go straight to voicemail. If I'm not in Verichat, then the phone actually does ring through.

I'm always-on through data. Sprint PCS.

Is the above normal practice?
    I have a quick question. I am currently using the T-Mobile sidekick 2. I bought it because I use AOL AIM all day for business and such. I was thinking about switching to verizon trea 650 when it comes out. My question is, is that with verichat, can I always be on even on stand by? Cause with my sidekick, i am logged on all the time and I want to make sure that when I do make the switch, it works just as well. thank you, your help is appreciated.
    Yes, some have reported to be online for up to a week with only one or two hiccups. What happens is that you are actually online on the Verichat servers. Even if your Treo resets, your buddy's wont see a change in your statue if you're back online within 2-5 minutes. I would recommend the SMS Always On option. This keeps battery life low, and once you make a chat connection with a friend, it swiches over to data, so you aren't consuming a whole bunch of SMS messages as you would with other applications that charge you one SMS message for every reply you receive (which is nuts in my opinion).
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    I found out from Verichat:

"Refresh conn on reset will try to "ping" the VeriChat servers immediately after your device resets.
    Disconnect n/w in SMS mode will tear down your GPRS session when the device goes to sleep and goes into SMS mode."
    Can you provide more detail on these two? Sorry for my ignorance - I am not sure what "tear down your GPRS session" means.

Also, I'm not sure if you mean that:

1. Disconnect n/w in SMS mode will tear down your GPRS session when the device goes to sleep and it will then go into SMS mode

or

2. Disconnect n/w in SMS will tear down your GPRS session when your device goes to sleep and also when your device goes into SMS mode.

I'm sure my confusion stems from not understanding what's going on. Help?

Thank you; I appreciate your time and consideration.
    Tibby.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I use sms mode on sprint...
    anyone currently having connection issues with Verichat? I can't connect, but when I try to log onto the same accounts using Causerie, it connects just fine...

mG
    OK - final clarification, T\C'ers...

I have:

*Treo 650 (it will not be my primary PHONE, popping in seperate SIM and leaving it on 24/7 on AIM/Y!/MSN....)
    *Pay Per Use MEdiaNet (deducts from voice minutes)
    *Verichat 2.82b

I can keep this on 24/7 with no hiccups?

Thanks.

-TreoOreo