1. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Gadgetitis:

Yeah, I apparently have it bad and the progression of Treos and Treo accessories I've owned illustrates the numbing affect Gadgetitis has on rational thought. With my Treo 300 and 600 it was cases, cradles, software, car kits, and every new wired headset that looked like it might be better than what I already had. Now I have a Treo 650 which, of course, requires a whole new suite of cases, cradles, software, and car kits and it ALSO supports that amazingly frustrating technology called Bluetooth.

>> SIGH <<

I bought a Jabra BT250, determined that it would never fit my ear, and returned it before my Treo 650 even arrived. That was followed by a Plantronics M3000, a Logitech Mobile Pro, and a Motorola HS850 which were all returned because I couldn't hear them, they were painful to wear, they only offered bare-bones functionality with the Treo, or all of the above. I finally settled on a Logitech Mobile Freedom Headset which is plenty loud, somewhat comfortable, and is reasonably compatible with the Treo 650.

But it's not compatible with Treo Voice Dialing.

And of course I had to have a Bluetooth dongle for my desktop computer. After all, I could HotSync the Treo 650 wirelessly. And I was actually able to make it work after a week-long ordeal of trial and error.

But I have to do a soft reset after every Bluetooth HotSync or things just don't work right.

These days my Mobile Freedom Headset stays in my desk drawer right next to the Bluetooth dongle. If I'm afoot or driving my Pontiac you'll typically find my trusty Plantronics MX-153 hanging from my ear. If I'm driving my noisy old Ford Econoline Pickup or riding my motorcycle you'll find an Etymotic ETY•COM plugged into my ear.

Yeah, they both have wires.

And when I want to HotSync my Treo, I just push the button on my charging cradle while the Treo is charging.

The cradle has a wire too.

So why would I revert to such primitive technology? Well the MX-135 is lighter, less obtrusive, and far more comfortable than any Bluetooth headset I've tried and it works flawlessly with Treo Voice Dialing. The ETY•COM has the best noise isolation of any headset earphone and best noise rejection of any headset microphone on the market so no matter how loud my surroundings are, I don't need to turn up the volume or raise my voice. These are not attributes that Bluetooth headsets are known for.

And I can't charge my Treo wirelessly. It's going in the cradle anyway so why do I need to HotSync wirelessly? If I want to HotSync with my laptop, the built-in IR ports work seamlessly.

Oh I'll be using the Mobile Freedom Headset on occasion. Truth be known, I'm a shameless showoff when I'm around friends and family and a BT headset has a definite techno-bling-bling factor that a wired headset just can't touch. But for my all day everyday needs, I'll be wired until Bluetooth devices catch up with the comfort and functionality of their wired counterparts.

Pete
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Handspring Visor > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Pro > Pre (in November) ... Evolution, or more money than sense?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Cardo Systems, maker of the Scala 500 has a new product, the ScalaRider, a helmet mounted bluetooth adapter that allows phone and music use. Could be interesting!

www.cardowireless.com/scala_rider/
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  3. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    It will be a lot more interesting to Treo owners if P1 can sort out the voice dialing / BT issue. In my case, a Bluetooth headset is probably least important when I'm riding. I wear my cell phone on my body when I'm riding because my body is an excellent vibration dampener and there are no wires to unplug when I dismount.

What matters most is being able to hear and be heard and I can't imagine how anything could meet that criteria as well as the Etymotic Research ETY•COM does. I can easily yak away in L.A. freeway commute traffic without raising my voice and with the volume set at 3 bars. I have a Shoei RF-1000 helmet with a high-end speaker-microphone system (wired) built in and it works about 1/2 as good.

Pete
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Handspring Visor > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Pro > Pre (in November) ... Evolution, or more money than sense?