Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi

Would be good if people reply to this to make it a sticky! ;-)

OK so I have just bought my first PDA phone from using a standard phone! and a seperate Palm ... today I got a 650 (GSM) unlocked! - and liking it big style!

I am not trying to be lazy - but having a hunt around on here it seems SOO much information about various addons, tips, tricks, downloads So I thought I would ask what are the top 10+ things I should download and install ? be that utils, games etc - what can people not live without? also your top 10 tricks or cool features I should be aware of ?

The two questions I persaonlly have are. Is there anyway to access my SD card using my data cable and treo plugged in or do I need a SD card reader ?
    Also I seem to have firmware version 1.14 and soft 1.05 ROW and people here are talking about 1.08 and 1.15! - can I download these and hotsync them ?

Thanks

LaptopSurfer
    Watch your back. Here they come.
    he's lucky so far....

Quote Originally Posted by treosome
    Watch your back. Here they come.
    michael [TX76Mike]
    BB Tour (Verizon) ∙ 16GB iPhone 3GS (AT&T) ∙ Palm Pre (Cricket)
    Follow me on twitter
    You're very lucky. "They" must be asleep now. Sleep well tonight laptopsurfer because in the morning you will get yours.
  5.    #5  
    have I upset the treo gods ? :-( ... was my request considered to be a newbie too arsed to work it out for himself ? or that i will be flooded with a million suggestions :-( ... i am sure there are lots of us out there just getting into the world of Treo - I might even start my own Treo blog as a way to go though my experiences! :-)

LaptopSurfer
    Still another 12 hours until bed time! :-)
    Welcome to TC!

To understand what treosome and TX76Mike are talking about, look at the following thread from 3 days ago:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=80178

I'll answer your other questions for you however:

[quote]The two questions I persaonlly have are. Is there anyway to access my SD card using my data cable and treo plugged in or do I need a SD card reader ?[\quote]

Search for CardExport here to learn more or find it on Palmgear.com

[quote]Also I seem to have firmware version 1.14 and soft 1.05 ROW and people here are talking about 1.08 and 1.15! - can I download these and hotsync them ?[\quote]

1.08 is for Sprint, so not for you
    1.15 is for Cingular/AT&T customers only as far as I know to fix a voicemail issue but that's it.

Hope that helps.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    LTS, I think you have to find your own way of working with the device. Personally, when I'm in the office, I like to use it as a desktop calendar/address book, so there's a tiny app called "oncradleon" which is invaluable (disables auto-off while in the cradle). I also like TreoGuard for the extra customisation it allows (and it's only $9).

I find ZLauncher excellent for managing memory issues & the SD card, although as many people have commented it is pretty bloated itself.

For transferring data, filepc2pda works well, although it uses it's own explorer util at the PC end.

I wouldn't try and download any of the firmware updates currently available - they're USA carrier-specific. There are rumours of a GSM update soon, though.
    Gav
    -------
    Palm V -> Vx -> Tungsten|T -> Treo650
    Looks like you didn't get it too bad for not extensively using the search feature, and trying all the search strings that the "mighty ones" here at TC would have used.

I've only tried the card export, which worked ok, but since I have a card reader I didn't really need it.

As for tips and cool tricks, definitely take the time to read through your manual. Also, just play around with your Treo enough and you'll be able to tailor buttons and shortcuts to your needs.

Here's a few programs you can look up, that I happen to find indispensible:

PowerRun (run programs from the SD card, but without all the skins and clutter that ZLauncher and LaucherX put on there)
    Directory Assist (freeware 411 software)
    Adobe Reader
    Pocket Tunes Deluxe
    VideoList (since I have a pretty extensive DVD collection, this helps me out when I'm in the store and can't remember if I won the DVD already!)

Enjoy your new toy
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    I don't know how to add links to posts and since I spend hours searching, I'm too tired to learn.

There is a thread on "cool things"? your Treo does that you didn't know. I found a lot of hard button shortcuts I didn't know about...and the Easter Egg.

There is a thread on "compatible software" that is a sticky, I think. I usually find software I'm curious about, search and then read every post about it to make sure I can safely put it on the 650. Definitely stay with apps that are 650 specific.

For me, MUST haves are:
    Uninstall Manager (install before any other apps)
    Cleanup
    PowerRun
    FileZ
    BackupMan (your pref, but vital)
    Directory Assistant

Launchers are depending on your preferences. I use default.

Fun things:
    The Matrix screensaver
    Hal9000
    Thumbscan

I have 62 programs installed, no random resets. I downloaded all free ones from mytreo.net. MIDI ringtones from TreoTones and TreoBits.
    Last edited by Christinac130; 04/05/2005 at 10:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosome
    You're very lucky. "They" must be asleep now. Sleep well tonight laptopsurfer because in the morning you will get yours.
    Halarious!!! I love when "they" descend on these threads...I know I'm going to get good giggle! Though, Dutch seems to be taming lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipe
    Looks like you didn't get it too bad for not extensively using the search feature, and trying all the search strings that the "mighty ones" here at TC would have used.

I've only tried the card export, which worked ok, but since I have a card reader I didn't really need it.

As for tips and cool tricks, definitely take the time to read through your manual. Also, just play around with your Treo enough and you'll be able to tailor buttons and shortcuts to your needs.

Here's a few programs you can look up, that I happen to find indispensible:

PowerRun (run programs from the SD card, but without all the skins and clutter that ZLauncher and LaucherX put on there)
    Directory Assist (freeware 411 software)
    Adobe Reader
    Pocket Tunes Deluxe
    VideoList (since I have a pretty extensive DVD collection, this helps me out when I'm in the store and can't remember if I won the DVD already!)

Enjoy your new toy
    dcsipe,

where can i find the Directory Assist program?

Thanks,

Rob
  12.    #12  
    thanks for all the great comments! - plenty to get me started!

Laptopsurfer
    laptopsuffer - the Gods are with you...

FileZ
    BackupMan
    Both very usefull

An Instant message program
    Verichat, AIM, etc

PTunes ( for Mp3s since most do not like real player)

Treo Butler or another similar program for Alerts (I do not part take in this program but see it constantly in threads)

that's it - to lazy to type any more - hit the search feature. You'll find a many more threads like "what is on your treo"
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    do a search for each app to find links or goto palmgear.com

My list of essentials are:
    Butler
    AvantGo (use it to read the forums quickly without pulling each page separately)
    Verichat (like free SMS!)
    LEDoff
    Eric's Solitaire
    Bejeweled
    Snappermail
    card export
    filez
    documents to go (gotta write english papers quick? also great for excel and powerpoint.)
    HandZipper pro
    As you may have inferred, this info exists in at least a dozen threads. Type "Top Six" or what that "top 6", "Top Ten" (Top 10) "Must Have" in a "Search Titles Only" search and you'll come up with lots of them and thereby . To save my fingers from retyping I have attached a PDF fil containing a spreadsheet of programs I have looked at, installed or considered....Bold stuff was installed.
    The first thing you should install is a screen protector
    Treo central photo challenge #1 - http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=623994
    The first thing I would do is learn how to use the search feature. I know at first it can appear daunting but you would be amazed how much information you are able to find without having to clutter this forum with the same questions asked over and over by people to lazy to seach. I find it quite unacceptable that the first post you make out of the gates after getting your Treo 650 is for a hand-holding exercise where the forum members are somehow responsible for training you on your Treo 650 and ingurgating you with an influx of information because you are too sorry of a person to use the existing tools to find the answers to your questions.

We've re-hashed these threads over 100 times, with Type-A Sale-Rep fools who decided they needed a Treo 650 to help their E-***** grow 12 inches.

Please return your Treo 650 immediately. If you can't master the basic search feature or know how to access the wealth and plethora of information that already exists you have no hope.

I eagerly await your next 5 threads bashing PalmOne because they forgot to activate your camera mirror or why this application reboots the phone.

I don't know what the heck you searched on but you are pretty lazy to create a thread asking for others to spoon-fed you the information.

I gnash my teeth and shake my fists at you.

http://www.geocities.com/cools367/asshat.jpg
    And it has begun...
    WOW...I know everyone has to start somewhere. I remember my first thread after I had been here awhile. I searched and searched, so nervous that my question had already been answered. So eager to please gfunk and the rest of the elders with my clever observation that no one had noticed before.

Of course, that was before the dark times. It was a time when techno-strong warriors wandered freely amongst the boards, boldy displying avatars of scantily-clad co-eds. An age of peace and justice where the non-searchers were all but extinct.
    my very first thread
    Now dutch, lets be fair. He did say he searched, but that was as far as he made it. We've not actually asked the lusers to click on the returned results. Looks like he saw some results from all the threads with the same topics and then started a new thread. Smart thinking! Hell, I'm sure all those other threads didn't have the information he was searching for.

Anyone know what programs will work correctly in ROM?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast