Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 122
  1.    #1  
    I have had my 650 since January and travelby air 2-3 flights per week. Never had any issues about using the device (I always turn the phone off when the cabin door is shut). However, today a SWA male flight attnedant took a particularly snippy attitude and demanded I "power it down" because it had a phone integrated into it. I tried to explain the phone was powered off but he informed me "the law" stated the other functions could not be used because of the phone integration.

    Any comebacks I should have.

    thanks,
    Roger
  2. #2  
    might fly with someone else besides SW. according to the several existing threads on this SWA is the worst with this.
  3. #3  
    What is weird is their magazine says devices that have built in email functionality can be used as long as the radio portion is turned off. It sounds like a Blackberry can be used during flight. Don't understand why Blackberry can be used versus Treo650.
  4. #4  
    Ask the flight attendant if she wants to join the milehigh club.

    Worked for me, I was able to use my treo the whole time --- after they through me off the plane.
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  5. #5  
    On a serious note, this has been covered on a number of threads here,. While I realize you won't like this response, the best choice seemed to be "just put it away'. Considering you fly 2-3 times a week, consider how many times you have flown w/o an issue?

    (am I being to resonable?)
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  6. #6  
    Male flight attendant...pretty much explains it all.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  7. #7  
    put it away and when theyre gone start using it again, always works for me..
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Male flight attendant...pretty much explains it all.
    hahaha
  9. #9  
    I was on a SWA flight a few weeks ago and the flight was packed.....as I looked for an empty seat, I ended up finding one in between to VERY large VERY old women....nice and comfy....as I was playing with my Treo as we sat on the runway (after the "turn all electronics off notice"), granny on my left raised her hand and said....

    "I don't think everyone has their electronics off" and then looked at me! lol....

    I showed the flight attendant that it does NOT turn off, but the phone is off....she said she was aware, because her boyfriend had one as well.

    So I told granny to shove it and continued playing Super Mario Bros 2 on NesEm
  10. mgauss's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    #10  
    Do the iPod trick. Take a stereo iPod looking headset. That way you are "listening to tunes" and they'll leave you alone. If it looks like an iPod, it quacks like one too.
  11. #11  
    What I do is bring aboard a brown paper bag and a flashlight. When I want to use the Treo 650, I place the bag over my head and then use the flashlight (it is a large bag) to navigate the Treo which I also manipulate within the bag. Once or twice the excessive light glowing from the brown paper bag has caused some concern - especially if you have cut out holes for eyes or mouth in the bag, but other than that I find most people leave me alone once the bag is in place ....

    This also works if your fellow passenger is a talkative SOB..don the bag and he/she leaves you alone ..but hey..that is maybe for a different forum.
  12. #12  
    Lol!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  13. #13  
    I have to tell you that last post really did make me LOL! :-) Thanks for the laugh.
    ek
  14. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #14  
    I tend to hold the Treo in such a way that the antennae is covered so that they can't tell that it's a phone. Once the flight is underway and they have announced that you can use your laptop or whatever, they usually don't hassle people any more.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  15. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    I was on a SWA flight a few weeks ago and the flight was packed.....as I looked for an empty seat, I ended up finding one in between to VERY large VERY old women....nice and comfy....as I was playing with my Treo as we sat on the runway (after the "turn all electronics off notice"), granny on my left raised her hand and said....

    "I don't think everyone has their electronics off" and then looked at me! lol....
    Um, all electronics off means just that. You should have turned off the Treo. 10 minutes after takeoff you could start playing games again.
  16. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Consul
    What I do is bring aboard a brown paper bag and a flashlight. When I want to use the Treo 650, I place the bag over my head and then use the flashlight (it is a large bag) to navigate the Treo which I also manipulate within the bag. Once or twice the excessive light glowing from the brown paper bag has caused some concern - especially if you have cut out holes for eyes or mouth in the bag, but other than that I find most people leave me alone once the bag is in place ....

    This also works if your fellow passenger is a talkative SOB..don the bag and he/she leaves you alone ..but hey..that is maybe for a different forum.
    Thanks Consul, this really made me laugh!
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    Um, all electronics off means just that. You should have turned off the Treo. 10 minutes after takeoff you could start playing games again.
    Quite right. Even though the Treo doesn't get completely shut off, you should leave it "off" until "approved" devices may be turned on again.

    It's also a good idea to be sure the sound is turned off - you'll get some nasty looks if an alarm goes off right at take-off.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    Quite right. Even though the Treo doesn't get completely shut off, you should leave it "off" until "approved" devices may be turned on again.

    It's also a good idea to be sure the sound is turned off - you'll get some nasty looks if an alarm goes off right at take-off.

    Yeah, you really don't want to fool around with airlines these days.
    A little discretion can go a long way for not being anally probed by airport security or the FBI.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Do the iPod trick. Take a stereo iPod looking headset. That way you are "listening to tunes" and they'll leave you alone. If it looks like an iPod, it quacks like one too.
    Awesome idea!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    Quite right. Even though the Treo doesn't get completely shut off, you should leave it "off" until "approved" devices may be turned on again.

    It's also a good idea to be sure the sound is turned off - you'll get some nasty looks if an alarm goes off right at take-off.
    As if it makes a difference if the screen is off or not! lol....give me a break....
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions