Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    i have a vzw 650. those splash mods kinda messed things up. reading the thread they were written for sprint? luckily i back up.
    any ideas? id just really like to replace the PHONE OFF with AIRPLANE SAFE MODE
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Given that one sees that splash only when turning off the phone, what's the point?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    the phone off part is always displayed. thats what I really would like to see a mod for that line
    Not on my Treo 600 unlocked GSM, it isn't. It displays momentarily, then the wallpaper takes over.

Any way of selecting either the wallpaper or the "phone off" display at all?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    my phone off is written up top where verizon wireless normally is when the radio is on.
    it is there whenever i am in phone mode
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Heck, I was told to shut my CD player off- say an attendant tell an ipod user to shut it down- they mean ALL electronics- not just the broadcasting type. ten minutes after takeoff, I'm usually on my laptop anyway.
    hide it under your blanket. that's what i do. or keep it in the seat pocket in front of you. i do that too. just don't get caught. and if your plane starts kind of bouncing and you can hear alarms going off, and other things, then would be a good time to turn your phone off.

that's what i do.

i do'nt use my phone in flight, just SMS... which is great.
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
    Southwest is generally the most terrible airline to fly with. Bad success with them, and ignorant flight attendants.
    Over the last year and nearly 50 flights with Southwest never had a problem with any of the flight attendants.
    Do you have to turn off "all" electronic devices?

I can't seem to find an "Off" switch for granny's pacemaker... or my digital watch.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wackochrisoidun
    i do'nt use my phone in flight, just SMS... which is great.
    Umm. I hate to break this to you, but using SMS -IS- using your phone. Voice or text msg, it doesn't matter.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Do you have to turn off "all" electronic devices?

I can't seem to find an "Off" switch for granny's pacemaker... or my digital watch.
    The usual phrase is "anything with an on/off switch". Each airline has its own policy for what devices are acceptable for use during flight - you can usually see this at the airline web site. Some airlines allow GPS receivers, some do not.

Southwest has eased its policy and now allows phones in a mode with the radio off.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    so is there anyone who knows how to change the "carrier name / phone off" line?
    On a recent 20hr trip from South Africa, I had to lock myself in john to read my e-books.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    Umm. I hate to break this to you, but using SMS -IS- using your phone. Voice or text msg, it doesn't matter.

I'm not stupid- I meant not using the voice feature. Sorry I was on crack when I wrote it.
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
    Urban legend, huh?

Here are pilot reports to the NASA Aviation Safety Reporting System. Think about some of these next time you turn your phone on just before landing so that you can get your messages quickly.... You might end up in the dirt. There is some BS to wade through, but there are clearly some incidents that have been attributed to portable electronic devices. There's wiring running the length of the airplane, so you'd be foolish to think that EMI couldn't affect the aircraft.

Put your Treo 650 next to a GFCI outlet at home and see what happens. I have seen the CB trip because of the EMI. Wouldn't be nice to happen in a fly-by-wire Airbus.

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/report_sets/ped.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    This complete and utter bull.

Period.

This urban legend continues to this day, and it is pathetic.

Cell phones do not interfere with jack squat on plains.

A pilot will NEVER hear DTMF tones in thier headset (unless it is plugged into a phone!) They are on completely separate frequencies.

Just be discreet. Airlines are run by lawyers and accountants who take the path of the least lawsuit. Zero to do with technical details.
    Last edited by blueline; 04/26/2006 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueline
    Urban legend, huh?

Here are pilot reports to the NASA Aviation Safety Reporting System. Think about some of these next time you turn your phone on just before landing so that you can get your messages quickly.... You might end up in the dirt. There is some BS to wade through, but there are clearly some incidents that have been attributed to portable electronic devices. There's wiring running the length of the airplane, so you'd be foolish to think that EMI couldn't affect the aircraft.

Put your Treo 650 next to a GFCI outlet at home and see what happens. I have seen the CB trip because of the EMI. Wouldn't be nice to happen in a fly-by-wire Airbus.

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/report_sets/ped.pdf
    Attributed is the key word. That makes it, at least hearsay, if not legend.
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    I think the phone off screen confuses the "technically challenged". it says off but yet they are looking at a device with a lit up display that responds to button pushes. Airplane mode would or mite clarify for those simpletons.
    Here is a true story that I posted in another thread that happened to me shortly after I got my first Treo 600 and just after 9/11 :

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    .....I think it would be great to not allow voice calls, but allow data.

But in any case, the up side is we would not have be pestered by flighty flight attendants who get off on a power trip since 9/11.

I got to tell this story about a confrontational flight attendant from when I had my Treo 600. I fly a lot with work, often just day trips where I fly in, do my thing, and fly out that afternoon. One flight there was an attendant that obviously did not enjoy her job, let alone life.

I faithfully turn my cell phone off and often use the palm side for games, doing some work, etc.... during the flight. When she saw it (and yes I always use the stylus to help anyone glancing over that it is a palm, not just a phone) she asked me to turn it off. I very politely let her know that the phone is completely off, showed her that there was no power to the signal, and that I am using my palm polite.

She said she did not care, that I "could not do anything on anything that resembled a phone" and asked me to turn it off again.

I probably should have just turned off the screen and left it at that....but I didn't. I politely, with a smile and very friendly voice, told her that since it is a Palmpilot that I cannot turn it off, and all I can do is turn off the screen and I would be glad to do that and put it away.

She could not understand this and asked me then to take out the battery! There were at least two other people using Palms in the row in front of me and across the isle. Their faces went white when they heard that as you know they were terrified she would do the same to them and they would loose all their data. But, I had no choice but to tell her that I could not take it out, as it is a permanent battery inside a sealed case.

At that point the other two kind of raised their hands and backed me up that all palm pilots can never be turned off and we could only turn off the screen. Of course I am sure they were protecting themselves from a technology ignorant attendant on the hunt.

At that point, she looked red in the face, either in frustration in not winning the situation or frustration in her lack of knowledge in asking for and pressing for something that she did not understand.

I know in this day and age of empowered attendants with increased authority, it was lucky for me and the other two, she did drop it and never spoke to any of us the rest of the flight. Even when leaving the plane, the person in front of me and behind me got a "Good-Bye, hope you had a nice flight", but not me!

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ghlight=flying
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/15/2006 at 10:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Attributed is the key word. That makes it, at least hearsay, if not legend.
    Ok, granted it's not a rigorous scientific study, but my GSM Treo 650 interferes like crazy with my computer speakers, car audio, land-line telephone, etc. I can certainly imagine how a few T650's springing to life and hunting for cell towers on final approach could be cause for concern.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Wow - Treo users really get excited when asked to put down their PDA's

I saw this old thread and being a commercial airline pilot just had to throw in my .02 worth...

First, the "no cell phone usage" started as an old FCC rule, because when flying along at under 5000 feet (less than a mile up) your phone will establish a signal... With several towers beneath you. The carrier's computers which pass the RF from one tower to another are constantly monitoring your signal and switching you from one transmission tower to another, because the computer can not determine which of several towers beneath you is closer, adding load to the switches and tying up the circuits. The previous analogy to Manhattan on 9/11 is quite accurate.

Second, I too have forgotten to turn off the phone of my Cingular GSM Treo while flying, and have heard the familiar "da-dat-ta-da-dat-ta-da" over my aviation headset as RF signals are being sent, just like leaving your phone next to a speaker or radio will produce. Quite annoying while attempting to listen to ATC.

In 20 years of flying I have never noticed fluxuations in an aircraft's navigation equipment that were *positively* attributed to an external RF source, but it is entirely possible. Since each aircraft is different (manufacturer, year model, installed equipment, route of wiring, placement of antennas, etc), it is impossible to "prove" that every RF capable device which will be produced in the future will not interfere with every aircraft ever constructed.

Minor aircraft avionics errors are annoying at best, and deadly at worst. While travelling at 7 miles per minute things happen pretty quickly, and the policy of the airlines is always going to be "safety first". If the airline doesn't tell you to turn off your electronic devices, and an accident happens, the absolute best that will happen is everyone will survive and a trial lawyer will sue the airline for not telling the passengers to turn off their electronics. The worst that could happen is a catastrophic crash. It's just not worth it.

And lastly, just as in maritime law, the authority of the Captain while aboard his aircraft is final, period. Interfering with a flight crew member while aboard a flight is a violation of federal law, period. It makes no difference if you fly in a single engine Cessna or a 747 - if you are given a directive from a crew member you follow it or risk incarceration.

Happy Treoing!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast