Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I just flew swa and the way they phrased it was we could use cell phones in game or airplane mode.
    I wish the splash screen said airplane mode instead of phone off
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I think if its safe data (txt) should be allowed in flight. I would never vote (like we would get input) to allow voice calls in flight. I dont care about who you talk to I just dont want to be forced to listen to it.
    We have all seen (some of us might be) those people who live on the phone.
    Who wants to sit by that person for hours on end? I'd be introducing their phone to the blue water.
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    I think if its safe data (txt) should be allowed in flight. I would never vote (like we would get input) to allow voice calls in flight. I dont care about who you talk to I just dont want to be forced to listen to it.
    We have all seen (some of us might be) those people who live on the phone.
    Who wants to sit by that person for hours on end? I'd be introducing their phone to the blue water.
    On the flip side of that token I also don't want to sit next to someone blabbering to their neighbor the entire flight. Should that be banned too?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    My solution to the blathering neighbor is headphones. Most people, except the most unobservant, will ignore you if you have your headphones on.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg
    My solution to the blathering neighbor is headphones. Most people, except the most unobservant, will ignore you if you have your headphones on.
    You misunderstood me. I was talking about your neighbors blabbering to one another - NOT you.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    conversation on board is one thing. conversation on a cel is another. I have found its easy to cut the person to person conversation short by involving yourself in a less than constructive manner (adding my commentary or .02 about their topic) in that conversation. the rude people usually just stop.
    If you go to the smoking section, which is generally on the left wing just above the engine, there you can smoke and use your cell phone.

A bit cold and windy, but being able to smoke and chat is a big plus. Holding on to the wing with cigarette on one hand and Treo on the other is a challenge, but on long flights, the extra room there makes a bit difference.

(Sorry, I can't resist...)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    On the flip side of that token I also don't want to sit next to someone blabbering to their neighbor the entire flight. Should that be banned too?
    They generally don't yall to the person sitting next to them....can't quite figure out why people think talking louder will improve poor reception. It's like when they talk to someone who doesn't speak their language...as if talking slower and louder helps ?
    Take him to the phone screen where it shows "Phone Off"
    When I check my email on my Treo 650 in a classroom at my local university, I can hear the DTMF or whatever tones in an overhead speaker. I'm sure pilots can hear some interference.
    It should be fine as long as you disable the wireless feature. All electronic devices have to be remained off once the door is shut, phone or no phone (even CD players) until informed over the PA after take off that approved devices can be turned on. Even though many people don't listen, any obvious distractions (even a blanket over the head) have to be taken care of during the safety demo...another FAA regulation. I would send off a letter to the SWA so they can send a mass e-mail message to flight attendants informing them that PDA phones are approved as long as the phone is off. If they're not familiar with treos, etc, they may not know that, and just the fact the numbers light up like a flip, the phone is assumed on? However if the screen was lit and you were still on the ground after the door shut, then the unit is still on and it falls under all electronic devices. Not that every flight attendant catches it, but if this were the case, he obviously did and he's obligated to do mention it.

As far as talking on the phone inflight, wouldn't be much fun on a redeye flight with international passengers who are in their afternoon timezone and bored, so it's time to plug their phone into the power outlet and talk to relatives over the next few hours. I'm a cellphone queen and LOVE to chat, blab and what not. But, as much as I'd love to have that option on the airplane, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so with the close proxiimity..and who want's to hear all my business and vice versa...and how many flights are not packed to the gills these days? It's one thing if passengers would limit cell phone useage on an flight to emergency use, but then every call would be an emergency....like confirming a golf game. Flight attendants would be running up and down the aisles answering call lights asking them to tell their neighbor to shut up because they don't want to do it themselves. It's bad enough dealing with blabbers and screaming babies but at least 50 percent of the passengers don't know one another other to yak. The price of airphone calls were ridiculous, but they were there if the call was necessary and if it was concerning a flight problem, contacting the airline was free to relay messages to awaiting parties if necessary. Hopefully the US carriers can someday get wifi, at least there's volume control and IMs.

I'd be curious to know what kind of modem card the laptop passenger had. I didn't realize there were any out there that could pick up a signal at 36,000 feet and at 10,000, the aircraft is already on the desent so laptops would have to be off and in the process of being stowed anyway.
    Last edited by goongafairy; 04/13/2006 at 01:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I think the phone off screen confuses the "technically challenged". it says off but yet they are looking at a device with a lit up display that responds to button pushes. Airplane mode would or mite clarify for those simpletons.
    True story-- I was on a United flight the other day and both the fellow sitting next to me and I were occasionally using our Treos. The flight attendant comes over and asks us if we were interested in beverages, a snack, or some software for our Treos? We with a dumbfounded look and said we'll take all 3. The lady handed us her Treo that was loaded with all kinds of utilities and games, many of which she had never used but had gotten from other passengers. We traded some stuff (like baseball cards) between the 3 of us. Software distribution via flight attendants...could be a new concept!!
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGuy
    True story-- I was on a United flight the other day and both the fellow sitting next to me and I were occasionally using our Treos. The flight attendant comes over and asks us if we were interested in beverages, a snack, or some software for our Treos? We with a dumbfounded look and said we'll take all 3. The lady handed us her Treo that was loaded with all kinds of utilities and games, many of which she had never used but had gotten from other passengers. We traded some stuff (like baseball cards) between the 3 of us. Software distribution via flight attendants...could be a new concept!!

was she hot to boot?

hahaha
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I think the phone off screen confuses the "technically challenged". it says off but yet they are looking at a device with a lit up display that responds to button pushes. Airplane mode would or mite clarify for those simpletons.
    Regarding the OP, maybe I misunderstood when he was asked to turn his treo off. Totally disregarding the phone, I thought the PDA was on which prompted the f/a. If it's after the door is shut before take off, then ALL devices has to be off, not just the phone portion. In the air after the first PA is a different story but it seemed the plane was still on the ground.

We traded some stuff (like baseball cards) between the 3 of us. Software distribution via flight attendants...could be a new concept!!
    Anything interesting? That's great...or even among passengers. There are 2-3 AA flight attendants like that with their Treos. Too bad app trading can't be somehow incorporated into the PA!
    Air France is to allow passengers to use their mobile phones once airborne on certain flights, though only for text messaging and data applications, the airline announced last week - voice calls will be interdit for the time being." See link at

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=111847
    True story-- ... The lady handed us her Treo that was loaded with all kinds of utilities and games, many of which she had never used but had gotten from other passengers. We traded some stuff (like baseball cards) between the 3 of us. Software distribution via flight attendants...could be a new concept!!
    This is more common than you may think. Many flight attendants have been using Palms, and now Treos, for quite some time. My stepfather has a Clie, and regularly swaps programs with both other flight attendants and passengers. They just beam stuff back and forth.

-BB
    Dunno about other airlines, but Qantas actually tell you in the pre flight announcement you can use these devices during the flight, provided the phone mode is switched off.
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    I just flew swa and the way they phrased it was we could use cell phones in game or airplane mode.
    I wish the splash screen said airplane mode instead of phone off
    Load this http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=197
    Pictures are on http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=195

Would probably be a good idea to have all of the airline screens on a card and move it to the device before each flight
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    Quote Originally Posted by cahsdad
    Load this http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=197
    Pictures are on http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=195

Would probably be a good idea to have all of the airline screens on a card and move it to the device before each flight
    Wouldn't you have to turn the phone on and then back off for them to see the splash screen?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast