Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 122
  1. #61  
    Maybe if the treo didn't have an antenna-it could be passed off as just a pda?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  2. #62  
    we are still talking about this?
  3. #63  
    So, I guess the next version needs to have a detachable antenna so we can fly on SWA.
  4. #64  
    The rules are pretty clear that the airlines can ban whatever electronic devices they want to ban. It's up to them to decide what may or may not be a safety issue. I've been on many flights (United, SWA, US Airways, etc.) that direct me to "turn off ALL electronic devices". That means anything electronic, not just cell phones, but PDAs, laptops, etc. They don't need to justify their rules to the passenger. If people don't like the rule, they can simply not fly that particular airline.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    and this one...

    "FCC to review cellphone ban in planes"

    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000677023279/
    I've got no problem (let me restate that - I think we should be able) with using the PDA portion of cell phones in flight, bu I may blow the old gasket if some ***** starts talking on one less than 2 feet from my head. What on God's green earth is so important that it can't wait 1-2 hours until you land? Better question - why is life so much more important now than it was 20 years ago that we can't wait until we land?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I've got no problem (let me restate that - I think we should be able) with using the PDA portion of cell phones in flight, bu I may blow the old gasket if some ***** starts talking on one less than 2 feet from my head. What on God's green earth is so important that it can't wait 1-2 hours until you land? Better question - why is life so much more important now than it was 20 years ago that we can't wait until we land?
    Well, how about the fact that it's none of your business what's so important? Why is talking on a wireless phone so much more of a faux pa than having a conversation with someone next to you? I get so tired of people talking about how we all survived before cellphones. We also survived before small pox vaccinations, seatbelts, and hell, airplanes for that matter, but no one ever says "Hey! Let's stop wearing seatbelts or flying." do they?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Well, how about the fact that it's none of your business what's so important? Why is talking on a wireless phone so much more of a faux pa than having a conversation with someone next to you? I get so tired of people talking about how we all survived before cellphones. We also survived before small pox vaccinations, seatbelts, and hell, airplanes for that matter, but no one ever says "Hey! Let's stop wearing seatbelts or flying." do they?
    Amen to that. What if a loved one is serioulsy ill or injured, and I'm flying out to be with them. Maybe I want to know if they're still alive. Guess that's not very important. At any rate, who's business is it who I'm talking to.

    Whether I'm calling to check on my dying relative, or calling 1-900-WE-ARE-18 shouldn't be anyones concern.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Amen to that. What if a loved one is serioulsy ill or injured, and I'm flying out to be with them. Maybe I want to know if they're still alive. Guess that's not very important. At any rate, who's business is it who I'm talking to.

    Whether I'm calling to check on my dying relative, or calling 1-900-WE-ARE-18 shouldn't be anyones concern.
    Truthfully, I felt a little bad posting my first reaction, but it's true. Do you know how many times I've been in a situation like Bullseye was in Daredevil? You know, where the old lady next to you won't stop yammering about her Mulatto son-in-law? Being able to get on my phone would save me the trouble of having to choke her with a well placed peanut.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    You know, where the old lady next to you won't stop yammering about her Mulatto son-in-law?
    wtf? was that directly from the movie?
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridges
    we are still talking about this?
    yep...probably because we spent $400+ on a device thats also a pda. if ipaq users can play tetris in-flight so should we.
  11. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    #71  
    If anyone has any doubts about a flight attendant's authority, read who won when an FAA official disobeyed a flight attendant's instructions on a Southwest Airlines flight about two weeks ago: http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#189501

    --Bill (a general aviation pilot)
  12. #72  
    Stupid FAA. If you wonder how wins between TSA and a FA, ask my sister. She's a USAir FA that got mouthy with TSA and was refussed boarding well in uniform. She'll be so happy I'm telling this story on her birthday.
    BTW the only person that wins a TSA fight is God.
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo650luvr
    I have to object to this answer. I am a commercial pilot and fly with my treo on my lap in my plane all the time. When a call comes in, it WILL interfere with my headset. It just causes loud static on it. Infact, I usually can't hear the phone ringing, I hear the static. Soon as I answer it, it goes away. It seems to only do it while receiving the call. I do not have it plugged in to any part of my plane. I do agree though that this does not affect my navigation in any way but it does interfere with my hearing ATC at times.

    You may object, but maybe you need another headset.

    My cousin is a pilot for a major carrier, and disconfirms your experience.

    The fact it disappears once you answer leads me to believe you have inadequate insulation on that headset.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcoy
    wtf? was that directly from the movie?
    What? Of course it's straight from the movie! I couldn't make something that funny AND pertinent to the conversation at hand up! I'm not that good!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia169
    The key is "Published" study. There could be plenty of studies that have found interference.

    Look, it is an airline. If you don't like thier policy then don't fly them. Fly another airline, take the bus, or train. There are always plenty of other options. Why make it harder for yourself. For me it is not worth the effort. It just put it away.

    If it's not published, it's not real.

    There are not a lot of options, contrary to your comment. Bus and train are a joke.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    See. laptop's are what started to infuriate me about this arguement. The same flight, the SAME DAMN FLIGHTa guy next to me pulls out his laptop, fires up his aircard (he was two seats away, I watched him) and proceeds to answer emails. The flight attendant passed him three times WHILE HE WAS IN OUTLOOK RECIEVING EMAILS, and no one said a word! He had three bars of signal for over an hour! My Treo, in my pocket with the screen off and radio off, gives off the same "interference" (and I use this term loosely) as it does with the screen on and the radio off! It's ****ing ignorant and they should have to go through some sort of training on "approved devices" or they should shut the hell up! Period.

    I agree....complete BS.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro

    So I told granny to shove it and continued playing Super Mario Bros 2 on NesEm
    Where did you find this program? I'd love to put an emulator on my treo!
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by dschreib
    Where did you find this program? I'd love to put an emulator on my treo!
    clicky
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  19. #79  
    Greetings fellow Treo lovers:

    The Treo falls into a catagory similiar to Global Positioning Systems (GPS) devices. However, in the case of the Treo there exists an "intent" to emit Radio Frequency (RF) radiation. Obviously, if the phone is turned off the intent is reversed.

    I make the relation to GPS devices because I was in a similar situation a few years ago where I wanted to use my GPS on board MidWest Express Airlines. I discovered they had a policy which prevented it. So, I did a bit of homework. Please read this newsgroup account of what happened.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...885adc221c26c6

    The article contains 2 links which can be used as a reference to show which airlines provide permission to use electronic devices and which do not as well as a technical article from Boeing.

    The real issue is liability. In my conversations with Midwest Express I discovered they were all too happy to allow these devices to be used but they had to take precautions so they would not be sued for millions of dollars if it could be shown they were in any way liable if something happened due to the use of an electronic device. They just needed documentation from some "higher" authority which would, in effect, get them off the hook. Hence, the document from Boeing Aircraft which is one of those links in the above article.

    Once this documentation was established, MidWest Airlines changed their policy and the airline continues, to this day, to allow all electronic devices whose intended use is to not emit RF. We all know all electronic devices emit some RF to some degree. However, I believe we all can agree that the amount of RF given off by a cellphone is much more than a laptop or a palm pilot, etc.

    The bottom line then is the definition of FCC's Part 15 rules and regulations. If the device is shown to comply with Part 15 then there is no question to the intent of the device to NOT emit RF. In other words, if the device has passed FCC Part 15 tests then the intent of the device is to not emit RF and depending on Airline policy should be able to be used during cruise phases. This Part 15 info is normally contained in the front section of all electronic devices's user manuals.

    We all need to sit back and remember that those airlines who do not allow the use of electronic devices are trying to be responsible. They certainly do not want to expose themselves to a huge lawsuit. I was able to show at least one airline that they had options and they were happy to make a positive change. Maybe others in this group could do likewise. The blueprint is in the linked article above.

    Good luck
    Rees
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo650luvr
    I have to object to this answer. I am a commercial pilot and fly with my treo on my lap in my plane all the time. When a call comes in, it WILL interfere with my headset. It just causes loud static on it. Infact, I usually can't hear the phone ringing, I hear the static. Soon as I answer it, it goes away. It seems to only do it while receiving the call. I do not have it plugged in to any part of my plane. I do agree though that this does not affect my navigation in any way but it does interfere with my hearing ATC at times.
    does anyone besides me think that this is weird for the pilot to be able to use his phone while the passengers aren't? it should definitely interfere with you being able to hear ATC, since you're busy on the phone.

    not a flame, just an observation..and before anyone starts, i too am a pilot who flies with the phone turned off. the concern is not with static interference, but imagine hundreds of aircraft each with a full load of passengers, each trying to place cell phone calls at the same time. each one of those phones can connect with multiple cell phone towers at the same time and theoretically turn the network into a big communications traffic jam.

    it's equivalent to what happened during 9-11...everyone and their grandmother was trying to make cell phone calls, and circuits were busy for quite a few hours.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions