Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I like the ipod trick - I'll be using that
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Show him the phone screen. In the upper left hand corner it says "Phone Off". What can he say about that?
    I primarily fly SWA and AA. AA states that items like the Treo must be able to turn off the radio. SWA states even the flight mode isn't approved so you just have to have it off. So, if I am on SWA I just keep it put away or don't let them get a good look at it. Never had any big problems, but, remember: it is their airline, they can set the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by J0V3
    Show him the phone screen. In the upper left hand corner it says "Phone Off". What can he say about that?
    Perhaps..."Put that away and don't take it off, or you will not be flying with us today"

I keep mine hidden until the "approved devices" announcement occurs. I also use the headphones as a diversion.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    LOL,
    very funny responses.....
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Quote Originally Posted by Consul
    What I do is bring aboard a brown paper bag and a flashlight. When I want to use the Treo 650, I place the bag over my head and then use the flashlight (it is a large bag) to navigate the Treo which I also manipulate within the bag. Once or twice the excessive light glowing from the brown paper bag has caused some concern - especially if you have cut out holes for eyes or mouth in the bag, but other than that I find most people leave me alone once the bag is in place ....

This also works if your fellow passenger is a talkative SOB..don the bag and he/she leaves you alone ..but hey..that is maybe for a different forum.
    This was one the funniest posts i've ever seen!!!!
    >> but other than that I find most people leave me alone once the bag is in place ....

Consul,

I haven't laughted so hard in ages. Very well done!

-Bill

"Thanks for flying United Airlines. We realize you have a choice when it comes to choosing bankrupt airlines and we'd like to thank you for flying ours."
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rharper
    ..... but he informed me "the law" stated the other functions could not be used because of the phone integration.

thanks,
    Roger
    I would truly like to know what "the law" states. If you could wip out the law and say to them that it is not the law, and here's proof, you still might get thrown off the plane, but they cannot put you in jail. Obviously, it is SWA policy, and not a "law" because most other airlines, including broke United, allow you to use it if the phone is off, so consequently it cannot be the "law". These rude flight attendants like to exercise their power and say crap like this. It would be nice to have at least some kind of a come back quoting verse of actual "law" and then tell them to stop bothering us.

Then go to jail.
    [QUOTE=Ti-maniac]I...These rude flight attendants like to exercise their power and say crap like this. It would be nice to have at least some kind of a come back quoting verse of actual "law" and then tell them to stop bothering us.

...QUOTE]yeh, especially the attendant is a male one... yes, I learn a bit from reading this post ...
    ... Go Go TREO !!! The 700wx and T755P are awesome
    They are definitively the absolute worst. This rudeness about the Treo, as well as the fact that I invited a buddy of mine to Vegas on a trip I'd won last year and we couldn't sit together on the trip out, or the one back, thanks to "Cattle Call Airways", has made me vow never to fly them again. It is a assinine law anyway. The FAA is thinking about revoking it, and they should. It is a throwback to the Dark Ages when no one was sure what a cellphone would do in any given scenario, so they just made up laws to keep us "safe". There has never been a plane crash, or even a reported case of instrument failure, due to cellphone interference, and their never will. They just want to hold on to an archaic rule that'll let them charge you $2.50 a minute for using their approved "safe" phone on the seat in front of you. You should see how Verizon's screaming to stop this one.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    It is a assinine law anyway. The FAA is thinking about revoking it, and they should. It is a throwback to the Dark Ages when no one was sure what a cellphone would do in any given scenario, so they just made up laws to keep us "safe". There has never been a plane crash, or even a reported case of instrument failure, due to cellphone interference, and their never will. They just want to hold on to an archaic rule that'll let them charge you $2.50 a minute for using their approved "safe" phone on the seat in front of you. You should see how Verizon's screaming to stop this one.
    This may be a fairy tale, but a Delta flight attendant told me that they have received requests from the flight deck to find out who in the cabin was using a cell phone in flight. The pilots reported that they could hear the DTMF tones in their headsets.

Whatever the reason, every passenger is obligated to follow the instructions of the flight crew, whether the passenger thinks that the instructions are technologically appropriate or not. That means if they tell you to turn off the Treo, turn it off. Otherwise, you take a chance on spending some time with the FBI on arrival, and I can tell you from experience that the line from "Men In Black" is pretty close to true: the FBI has no sense of humor that they are aware of.
    It's a bad idea to argue with a flight attendant. Believe it or not, they can have you arrested for disobeying their orders. If you're the type that likes to fight these things, good luck.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    lawyer, lawyer, where is lawyer when need them?
    Quote Originally Posted by xwaiz
    lawyer, lawyer, where is lawyer when need them?
    You need to drive an ambulance.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    I guess again I have to ask the question, is there actually a law, because most airlines allow use of he treo in phone off mode during a flight, whereas SWA says its against the law.

Is it or is it not against a law? Does anyone know?
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda
    It's a bad idea to argue with a flight attendant. Believe it or not, they can have you arrested for disobeying their orders. If you're the type that likes to fight these things, good luck.
    They cannot have you arrested unless you are endangering the normal operations of the aircraft. They can tell you to leave the plane, they can have you detained by airport security, but they cannot have you arrested just for disobeying their orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    I guess again I have to ask the question, is there actually a law, because most airlines allow use of he treo in phone off mode during a flight, whereas SWA says its against the law.

The law is referrenced below. Essentially some discretion is left with each airline operator to decide what it does and doesn't allow under the law. If you violate the operator's rules, then you violate the law.

Federal Aviation Regulation Part 91 Section 21 addresses portable electronic devices.

Sec. 91.21 Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may
    operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the
    operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-
    registered civil aircraft:
    (1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate
    or an operating certificate; or
    (2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.
    (b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to--
    (1) Portable voice recorders;
    (2) Hearing aids;
    (3) Heart pacemakers;
    (4) Electric shavers; or
    (5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft
    has determined will not cause interference
    with the navigation or
    communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.
    (c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier
    operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required
    by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator of the
    aircraft on which the particular device is to be used
    . In the case of other
    aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other
    operator of the aircraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac

Yes there is a law that says that you cannot operate cell phones in flight, this is goverened by the FCC and applies to commercial airliners. If the flight attendent cannot tell that the phone is off, they are within their rights to ask you to turn off that and any other devices that you may have irregardless of whether or not the FCC says its okay. That falls within the rights of the cabin crew. Heck if they don't like you they can actually have you fly a different flight (compensated of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by copwriter
    This may be a fairy tale, but a Delta flight attendant told me that they have received requests from the flight deck to find out who in the cabin was using a cell phone in flight. The pilots reported that they could hear the DTMF tones in their headsets.

Whatever the reason, every passenger is obligated to follow the instructions of the flight crew, whether the passenger thinks that the instructions are technologically appropriate or not. That means if they tell you to turn off the Treo, turn it off. Otherwise, you take a chance on spending some time with the FBI on arrival, and I can tell you from experience that the line from "Men In Black" is pretty close to true: the FBI has no sense of humor that they are aware of.

This complete and utter bull.

Period.

This urban legend continues to this day, and it is pathetic.

Cell phones do not interfere with jack squat on plains.

A pilot will NEVER hear DTMF tones in thier headset (unless it is plugged into a phone!) They are on completely separate frequencies.

Just be discreet. Airlines are run by lawyers and accountants who take the path of the least lawsuit. Zero to do with technical details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    The law is referrenced below. Essentially some discretion is left with each airline operator to decide what it does and doesn't allow under the law. If you violate the operator's rules, then you violate the law.

Federal Aviation Regulation Part 91 Section 21 addresses portable electronic devices.

Sec. 91.21 Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may
    operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the
    operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-
    registered civil aircraft:
    (1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate
    or an operating certificate; or
    (2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.
    (b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to--
    (1) Portable voice recorders;
    (2) Hearing aids;
    (3) Heart pacemakers;
    (4) Electric shavers; or
    (5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft
    has determined will not cause interference
    with the navigation or
    communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.
    (c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier
    operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required
    by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator of the
    aircraft on which the particular device is to be used
    . In the case of other
    aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other
    operator of the aircraft.
    Basically, they get to make up the rules.

There is no "determination" that is done, just blanket policy.

THERE IS NOT ONE STUDY THAT ANYONE CAN POINT TO THAT SHOWS INTERFERENCE.

This happened back in the day with the laptops....they tested and found zilch.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast