1.    #1  

Hey All,

How in the world do you add a title (for example: PhD) to a contact in the visor? There is no field for it... what about if it is Dr. or Prof. etc??? I can see putting a
    ", PhD" after the last name, but that's kinda silly, since the sorting will get all screwy, right? the same with putting a prefix before the first name... that's not great either... what do other people do?

Second, do you just put the middle initial in the same field as name??

(This may seem silly questions, but it appears someone at Palm did not consider academic/scientific settings in the contact usability tests... if the standard is not to put them, a lot of people may not appreciate not being addressed w/o their titles

Art
    Originally posted by bioart

Hey All,

How in the world do you add a title (for example: PhD) to a contact in the visor? There is no field for it...
    Personally, I use the Title field in the address book for titles.
  3.    #3  
    I thought about that, but title should really refer to the job title... and the problem with that is that it does not get appended correctly if and when you export to other places, like mailing labels, etc...

It just seems like the "agreed standard spec" does not have this capability (a basic one) so implementing this in any other way would lead to mangled fields when transfering data from one platform to the other (I hope I'm wrong, and that there is a way to either modify the default palm contact app or replace it with one that keeps this in mind while maintaining backwards compatibility)

Art
    Originally posted by bioart
    I thought about that, but title should really refer to the job title... and the problem with that is that it does not get appended correctly if and when you export to other places, like mailing labels, etc...

Art
    Oh, good point -- sorry.

Yeah, I think that your original suggestion -- adding prefexed titles to the first name and suffixed titles after the last name -- is probably the only way to do it.
    If you are doing it for reference or Mail Merges only, consider changing on the customer fields to the honorific. Once you are doing the merge, the fields are pretty much customizable.

You still won't see Dr. John Smith or John Smith, DDS in the Address book, but it might meet your needs.
    Don't forget that you do have four custom fields that could be pressed into use.
    Did I say "customer" fields? I meant "custom!" Thanks, Yucca!
  8.    #8  
    The custom fields are a good idea... for now I'm just adding them after the last name, and as long as I show first, last name, the names look fine... (otherwise they look silly, of course

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!