Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I've been watching the prices of Vaja T65 cases on eBay.. as you may or may not know, Vaja sells the T65 case on their site for $104.90 plus $17.00 Fedex shipping from Argentina, with the $4.00 option of a belt clip, a similar option of having your name printed on it and a $30.00 option of having a logo embossed on it.. due to the way they operate, building these cases as they are ordered, they advertise a 25 day wait period between the time a case is ordered from their site, and the time it's shipped..

Well, after searching "Vaja 650" on eBay for a few weeks, this one takes the cake..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5763992601

As I type this, this auction has not yet closed, and this case is already up to $232.50 with six hours to go.. one bidder can't drive the price up that high.. it takes at least two.. he started it at $1.00.. and even described Vaja's own price in the description, so riddle me this.. is this simply a "case" ::coff:: of a couple people wanting one so badly, and not wanting to wait for Vaja's lengthy order > shipping period that they're willing to pay over double retail for it??.. Is it a case of people with more money than sense.. or is there some other dynamic going on here that I don't get.. This is a current model that is not in any way a limited edition, and anyone can go to their site and order exactly the same case, for $104.90 plus $17.00 delivered.. so what do you think is going on with this??..

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Saw the same thing yesterday it is on my watch list thought it was unbelievable. I will wait untill they come into treo central store hopefully mid april so what if its black only

Fred
    I think I am going to order 10 of them and resell!
    I did not realize they are based in Argentina. I am going to Buenos Aires the middle of this month and am going to see if they sell them there cheaper. Leather products are dirt cheap down there. I might actually buy ten and bring them back for resale!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I did not realize they are based in Argentina. I am going to Buenos Aires the middle of this month and am going to see if they sell them there cheaper. Leather products are dirt cheap down there. I might actually buy ten and bring them back for resale!
    I wanted to follow up on this old thread to add a couple comments. For those not familiar with Vaja's i-Volution cases, they're not just leather. First, they use CAD to design an ABS plastic shell to the perfect dimensions of the device they're going to hold, whatever it is. Then their staff of artisans hand craft Argentinian leather over that shell, with absolutely no stitching visible at all. When you order one from their site, they have the Pantone color matching page where you can literally order one to match the color of your car seats or paint, shoes, or whatever you know the Pantone color for. No one else that I know has this kind of system. The cases are made to order, I believe the only color they keep on the shelf as stock is black on black. That's why it takes so long to get one direct from them. Unless it's black on black, they don't make it until you order it. The quality is simply unbelievable, but you pay the price for that kind of craftsmanship.

You'll find Vaja i-Volution clones on eBay for $30.00. They're crap. The leather is way too thick and blocks the keys around the edge of the keyboard. A genuine i-Volution doesn't.

Quality never comes cheap. Now paying this much money for a case might verge on madness, but for those who want the best there is and can afford it, there they are. Vaja's cases are a status symbol, as much as they are beautiful, functional, and they smell wonderful. Their Web site, like their cases, is a work of art. These guys are true professionals making a product that commands a high price. You can carry around a 29 cent Bic in your pocket or a $500.00 Montblanc 149. They're both pens. They both write. Sometimes, if you can afford it, it's nice to treat yourself to something classy. Why not? You only go around once. Like Frank Zappa said in one of his lyrics, "Is that a real poncho? I mean is that a Mexican poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?"..

Harv
    (absolutely no affiliation with Vajacases whatsoever, except I've reviewed them)..
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Not to diminish the quality and workmanship of the vaja ivolution ( I owned one before it got caught on a car door and cracked the top half partially off. ) I just received the treokitz with retractable harge / sync cable & etc. ( shipping incl. ). It offers a great value for $20. It is styled after the vaja, with quite good quality - not as sleek or form fitting and with a few issues - the offcenter window opening, no hole for reset, having to remove from case for hotsync. But I thought it was a great compromise rather than spend another $!25. I'll wait until I upgrade to the 650 or 700p.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwalton
    Not to diminish the quality and workmanship of the vaja ivolution ( I owned one before it got caught on a car door and cracked the top half partially off. ) I just received the treokitz with retractable harge / sync cable & etc. ( shipping incl. ). It offers a great value for $20. It is styled after the vaja, with quite good quality - not as sleek or form fitting and with a few issues - the offcenter window opening, no hole for reset, having to remove from case for hotsync. But I thought it was a great compromise rather than spend another $!25. I'll wait until I upgrade to the 650 or 700p.
    There's a cool free little program called "reset me" you might want to install. Unless your Treo is so locked up you can't even launch a program and have to poke the hole in the battery compartment, this program does the job nicely.

Caught on a car door? Oww!
    Well the point I was trying to make was that I've seen a lot of leather goods, I've seen high quality stuff and I've seen crap. But I've never seen anything designed to the degree of high tech like Vaja designs their cases, hand-crafting leather over an ABS plastic shell designed on a CAD system to perfectly fit whatever it's holding. No one else I know goes to those lengths. Like I wrote in the magazine I used to write for, it's the Rolls Royce of cases. But you pay a price for it, and it's obviously not for everybody.

Hey, you can wear a ring with real Diamonds, or Cubic Zirconia. And let's face it, Treos are expensive. You can sign up for a cell phone plan and the carrier will throw a phone at you for next to nothing or even free. Just depends on what you want. What you can afford. What you need to do with it. I think the Treo 650 is one of if not THE coolest handheld gizmo I've ever owned. It isn't perfect, but I haven't seen anything else that comes close. I've got a 700w sitting here and there are things about Windoze Mobile that are infuriatingly dumb, which on the 650 are elegantly simple and logical.

By the way, Seidio just did a slight re-design of their lovely INNOdock cradle (got one sitting on my desk right over there --> with my Treo 650 nestled in it) so that it will accomodate the Vaja i-Volution T65 case. The original model of the cradle wouldn't, it would only take a naked 650 or one in a "low profile" case, like a sillycone skin or, one like i use most of the time, an aluminum case. Now they make one that'll hold the 650 while it's in a T65 case. Of course, no cradle will hold the phone if it's in the T66 case with the flip lid, since the lid flips down, not up and over.

Harv
    "It's always something.." ..