Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I always use a horizontal case for my pda's but maybe not the 650. I have been using the PalmOne leather horizontal case and have been pleased. Until today. I got to work and pulled my Treo out and it was very hot to the touch. The screen was on with the keyguard warning and it was locked up. It probably had been in that condition for the previous hour. My freshly charged battery was at 52%. I believe as I was sitting, the case had the buttons constantly pushed, activating and unactivating the keyguard until the thing locked up.
    I dunno--this may all be a weird concindence--but I had the same problem today. Actually, I sorta noticed that she was running a bit warmer yesterday too but didn't think too much about it. But, just a few minutes ago I pulled her out of her case (my old Handspring case) and she was *very* warm and the battery that was charged overnight was all but drained.

Recently, I did the sprint ROM update and last night I installed the latest ZLauncher. Those are basically the only changes I have made recently. Last night I noticed that she did not auto shut off after 2 minutes as usual. I chalked that up to my unfamiliarity with ZLauncher and turned her off manually until I could figure it out. I still think ZLauncher may be the culprit of the overheating and battery drain.

I'll be eager to hear if others are having a similar issue.
    I think you've got the cause and effect backwards. The Treo heats up considerably when the CPU is running at full speed, which can happen when it locks up.

Doubtful it has anything to do with the case.
    Weird, I noticed that my Treo was "extra" warm last night when I was on a 25 mintue phone call. Not sure if this has any correlation with all your concerns, but I thought I would chime in.
    I think it may have something to do with spring. Warmer weather = warmer Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    I think it may have something to do with spring. Warmer weather = warmer Treo.
    I wish! It is cold up here. Supposed to snow. April snow showers bring June flowers, right?
    Bizarre. Over the weekend (though I was on a long call), I thought mine seemed much hotter than usual also!
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Maybe Palm got a bad batch of batteries and this is an indication of an impending explosion !

Mine has always seemed to get a bit warm after a long phone call or continuous data streaming.
    I got the same issue, not with a case, but with card export. Since it doesnt turn off the screen, after about 3 hours, the unit was "warm" to the touch.
    May want to look at keepoff instead of keyguard...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Maybe Palm got a bad batch of batteries and this is an indication of an impending explosion !

Mine has always seemed to get a bit warm after a long phone call or continuous data streaming.
    Nope, just the nature of the beast, all the T600 series can get really warm.
    They will heat up with use, especially if you're on the phone w/BT enabled. But remeber, it is a small computer. Try touching the CPU of your PC after it's been on -well, don't because you'd have to yank the fan off, which will fry the CPU, but you see where I'm going. Your Palm won't heat up like a P4 or Athlon, but it will heat.

I guess though it could be possible that the leather case may be trapping the heat, and aggravated the problem...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The T600 is useful for frying eggs in a pinch..
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I have noticed all the sprint 3g phones i have used have gotten much hotter while on a call then any of the 2g phones.
    Would any of these "warm" Treos be a result of the pleasant weather? 60+ degrees?

Just a thought....
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    Would any of these "warm" Treos be a result of the pleasant weather? 60+ degrees?

Just a thought....
    No, don't say the Treo caused Global Warming ?
    I found both the 600 and 650 to get very hot when on long conferance calls (30 mins and up).

It was great for the NY winter - Especially when I was waiting for the train. I would down load a big file and stick it between my legs ..... did I just type that. scandalex must be rubbing off on me....
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    treo 650;s get hot when used to make a long phone call
    About a week ago I picked up my Treo and it was frozen on the screen to answer a call. I had to take out the battery to reset, and the battery was very hot. After reset, I had about 50% of power left; it should have been 90%+.

So it got itself stuck in a high current-drain mode. Only happened once (so far).
    Quote Originally Posted by pi314
    About a week ago I picked up my Treo and it was frozen on the screen to answer a call.
    Same thing happened to me last week (hadn't happened before, hasn't happened since). I chalk it up to a random convergence of events (incoming call and alarm at the same time?) or maybe sun-spots .