Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    GPS implementation on the new HP iPAQ hw6500 looks VERY nice. Why did palm leave this out?

    "...the hw6500 will not have built-in Wi-Fi capabilities, but will feature full assisted GPS functionality (meaning it uses the satellites orbiting the earth go get exact location) plus will have full fledged software which will give you turn-by-turn driving directions, ability to lookup nearby restaurants, hotes, movie theatrs, gas stations, or any other points of interest. One map will be provided free of charge, and the user can select from a list of cities in the US, Canada and Western Europe. Additional maps can be purchased from tomtom.com/gpsnavigation (it is currently still under construction). Some of the neat GSP features include:
    - keep a list of favorite addresses which can be used to find a direct route to them from anywhere
    - set the GPS screen to display different color settings for daylight and night time viewing
    - choose the type of voice you want to hear when listening to the turn-by-turn directions..."
    Full Story:
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/read...ge=0&category=
  2. #2  
    Oooh...seyay
  3. #3  
    Two reasons:

    1 -- The iPAQ is a larger phone and PalmOne didn't want to change the footprint to accomodate GPS.

    2 -- GPS sfotware, especially good software, cost money. That means a more expensive phone or a reduced return for PalmOne.

    Personally, I prefer TomTom software and an external bluetooth GPS with a SirfStar III chip (highest sensitivity and accuracy). I would be disappointed if a smartphone did anything different than that combination. At least, by not prepackaging substandard software, I can go out and get what I really want without paying for something else as part of the package.
  4. #4  
    Why doesn't my treo have a shoe shine kit.
  5. #5  
    I guess the better question is why wouldn't P1 make the api's available to use the GPS function that is built-in the Treo? Then it could be up to the user to purchase said software instead of using an external BT or wired GPS receiver plus the software.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    Two reasons:

    1 -- The iPAQ is a larger phone and PalmOne didn't want to change the footprint to accomodate GPS.

    2 -- GPS sfotware, especially good software, cost money. That means a more expensive phone or a reduced return for PalmOne.

    Personally, I prefer TomTom software and an external bluetooth GPS with a SirfStar III chip (highest sensitivity and accuracy). I would be disappointed if a smartphone did anything different than that combination. At least, by not prepackaging substandard software, I can go out and get what I really want without paying for something else as part of the package.
    They are using TomTom as an example at that link above. I have to say, tho, it looks HORRIBLE on the ultra low res screen. Looks streached and pixelated.
  7. #7  
    The Treo 650 does contain the AGPS hardware, it has been theorized that the APIs to access them are hidden in there somewhere, (there are hints if you reverse engineer the phone libraries) but no one with NDA access to Palm's developer resources has said whether it is possible to access them or not, and they are not in the public SDK. It has also been speculated that the carriers don't want this information made available because they don't want 3rd party developers to compete with their own location based services.

    Personally, I'm hoping that someone will eventually crack open the 650 enough to find out or sure.
  8. #8  
    there will be two hw6500s apparently

    1. hw6500 with two SD ports...one regular one miniSD
    2. hw6700 with 1 SD port, i think only the miniSD one, and wifi built in

    now of course i am only taking this to be 60% true, but a lot of forums and people who went to, what was it CES, were told that...
  9. #9  
    I hope the next revision of the Treo 650 supports interchangable face-plates so I can put my Treo 650 on 20" dubs and have a spinner right over the speaker.

    Why did PalmOne leave out this feature?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    I hope the next revision of the Treo 650 supports interchangable face-plates so I can put my Treo 650 on 20" dubs and have a spinner right over the speaker.

    Why did PalmOne leave out this feature?
    funny
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Why doesn't my treo have a shoe shine kit.
    It does! It's part of the mirror "mechanism".
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  12. #12  
    I think my mirror mechanism is broken. I press on it but nothing happens. Anyone know how to fix that? I'm having the same problem as this guy:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=80211
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Why doesn't my treo have a shoe shine kit.
    I agree. A $600 device should at least be able to do something as basic as shine my shoes .
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I agree. A $600 device should at least be able to do something as basic as shine my shoes .
    BWAHAHHAHAHAH!@#$
  15. #15  
    maybe this should be on cool stuff the treo does. i tie a string to the antenna of my treo, turn the phone on vibrate, tie the other end of the string to my(well you know), and call myself 30times

    ENJOY
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    maybe this should be on cool stuff the treo does. i tie a string to the antenna of my treo, turn the phone on vibrate, tie the other end of the string to my(well you know), and call myself 30times

    ENJOY
    Mine works after 4 calls
  17.    #17  
    Wow - Tough Crowd!

    I love my treo with or without GPS. It just looked like something they could have included pretty easily. I hate to have anyone else be able to one up my treo with a feature I don't have. Maybe I should have named the thread - "should I be jealous' instead. I guess I'll keep my technolust to myself from now on...
  18. #18  
    I'd love it to, but would expect it in this formfactor for a little while. Just havin a little fun witchya
  19. raziel's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    #19  
    It would make the Treo pretty damn expensive. I suppose it's possible to release a GPS version of it.
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
  20. #20  
    The AGPS function in the Treo, and other cellphones, is really a triangulation between cell towers. It is not accurate enough to be used for GPS assisted navigation.
    Moderator
    www.gpspassion.com
    Associate Writer, PalmAddict
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions