1.    #1  
    I've recently switched from using Outlook 2003 to the Palm Desktop. My first reason was email. I use IMAP email, and when I check it on my Treo 650 and my Outlook is up, a weird idle timeout error pops up in Outlook and it is persistent. So I switched to Thunderbird, and my overall email experience is better.

Also, to properly manage my categories, etc, the Palm Desktop is a cleaner interface. I like that I can manage my media, documents, calendar, etc all from one interface.

The only negative is that to keep my Thunderbird address book updated, I'll have to export/import at least weekly (there is a Thunderbird conduit out there, but it is buggy and really screwed up my system).

So which do you all use? I'm happy with the Palm Desktop overall.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    I've recently switched from using Outlook 2003 to the Palm Desktop. My first reason was email. I use IMAP email, and when I check it on my Treo 650 and my Outlook is up, a weird idle timeout error pops up in Outlook and it is persistent. So I switched to Thunderbird, and my overall email experience is better.

Also, to properly manage my categories, etc, the Palm Desktop is a cleaner interface. I like that I can manage my media, documents, calendar, etc all from one interface.

The only negative is that to keep my Thunderbird address book updated, I'll have to export/import at least weekly (there is a Thunderbird conduit out there, but it is buggy and really screwed up my system).
    I use Outlook with Intellisync. On the one hand, I'm of the mind: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Especially with software.) On the other hand, I'd love to ditch Outlook.

I'm considering using Thunderbird for email and the Palm Desktop for my calendar, memos, todo list and contacts. Although that means keeping two programs, Thunderbird and the Palm Desktop, open instead of just one, Outlook, not using Outlook has a lot of advantages.
    I've used Palm Desktop for the past 2 yrs and I am very please. Straight forward and gets the job done. (KISS). I don't ever remember it creating any problems syncing with my Treo 600.

I used FranklinCovey Software for almost ten years and it caused too many problems.
    LOL
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    I'm considering using Thunderbird for email and the Palm Desktop for my calendar, memos, todo list and contacts. Although that means keeping two programs, Thunderbird and the Palm Desktop, open instead of just one, Outlook, not using Outlook has a lot of advantages.
    I thought about this too. However, Palm Desktop for keeping an alarm alert icon in your toolbar, so I won't miss any alarms if I'm on my computer (for appts, etc). If I right click it, it gives me the option to open Palm Desktop, so I don't actually have to have both open at once.

I don't hate Outlook, but I prefer Thunderbird for mail, and for clean syncing, I prefer Palm.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The main problem with the Palm Desktop (at least for me) is that it doesn't include an email application. And, of course, the problem with Thunderbird is that syncing between Thunderbird and the Treo isn't there yet.

When Thunderbird and Sundial (the calendar) application are fully formed and sync well with the Treo -- well, that will be great.

I'm playing around with the evaluation version of Doublelook, a program that lets you keep Outlook and the Palm Desktop synced -- any changes made to Outlook will immediately be reflected in the Palm Desktop (or vice versa if you want.)

--Bill