1.    #1  
    The 10 (!) permanent and locked favorites at the top of the first page of favorites on my Cingular 650 drove me crazy. Right where I'd like to have MY actual favorites, they have the slots locked, and filled with stupid crap like "xpress mail", and "check my minutes".
    Well this evening I spent some time digging around, and found the solution.

1.) using filez, or some other file viewing software, locate the file called "PhoneFavorites2DB.pdb" in your Treo 650.
    2.) copy/mail/beam/whatever a copy of the file to your PC/Mac.
    3.) open it in a hex editor
    4.) look for the hex string "0b" that is exactly 5 bytes in front of the start of the _name_ of the first ten favorites, not including the hot key. (Except for Voice Mail, which has a "1b")
    5.) change the "0b" to "00" for the first 10 favorites.
    6.) re-save the file and hotsync it back to your treo.

bingo! now they are editable and deletable!

Here is a specific example:
    0b 00 00 00 00 43 61 6d 65 72 61 00
    which is part of the locked 'Camera' favorite, needs to be changed to:
    00 00 00 00 00 43 61 6d 65 72 61 00

Do this to all of the locked favorites to unlock them.

Of course, I take no responsibility for anyone screwing up and/or losing their favorites list. Do not complain to me if it doesn't work for you. It works great for me.

ombra
    I just moved them to Page 5 of the Phone favorites. That way they are out of the way without risking anything...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I just moved them to Page 5 of the Phone favorites. That way they are out of the way without risking anything...
    That's exactly what I did. Out of sight, out of mind.

a'
    To "just move them", go to the Edit Favorites page and just touch and drag the buttons to page 5.
    I removed them awhile ago. No damage done.
    There was a thread about this about a month ago. I got rid of all of them - never going to need them anyway. BTW, you don't have to transfer the file to a computer to edit the hex values. They can be edited from the Treo itself using Filez taking an unnecessary step out of the process.
  7.    #7  
    I wanted to be editing a copy of the file, since I was experimenting, not the original.
    Not trying to fuss, but for those who want to do it without the computer, you can make a backup of the file using Filez or another backup app on the Treo. Either way works fine. If you don't have a computer handy though, you're not out of luck.