Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Please help this newbie:
    I installed Adobe Reader to my 650 apps but whenever I try to download an article to the Reader and click the 'save and open' I get a reset.
    How do I make the Reader work for me?
    Thanks
    If you are trying to download PDFs from the web, I don't think the reader works with them. It does work with PDFs converted for the Palm OS. Adobe's site has a tool you can use to covert PDFs to be Palm compatible.

The desktop application (and conduit during HotSyncŪ) runs on your desktop computer. It prepares PDF files for the Palm OS and transports them to the user's handheld device.
    See: http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...erforpalm.html
    The problem I had is the converter fails on every .pdf I tried to convert. I'm not sure if it was the graphics, links, or what it was, but I found the converter quite useless. I finally removed the reader from my Treo and the converter from my desktop. It's not like I can ask all my contacts to send me their files in two different formats. If there is going to be a .pdf reader on the palm, then it needs to read standard .pdf files. Adobe dropped the ball on this one.

-rosh
    Quote Originally Posted by rockky
    Please help this newbie:
    I installed Adobe Reader to my 650 apps but whenever I try to download an article to the Reader and click the 'save and open' I get a reset.
    How do I make the Reader work for me?
    Thanks
    Since you didn't indicate how you were using the Reader and conversion program, allow me to point out something that you may have already done. The Adobe Reader that installs onto the Treo won't open a native Acrobat file. You have to first convert it to a form the Reader can handle. The Adobe Reader for Palm OS package has a desktop component and a Palm device component. To view a PDF file on the Palm, you use the desktop component to convert it to a Palm-friendly format first. The same software will transfer the file to your Treo on the next HotSync.

Again, I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know, but the Reader software implies that you can just transfer a native PDF to your Palm device and be ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roshambo
    The problem I had is the converter fails on every .pdf I tried to convert. I'm not sure if it was the graphics, links, or what it was, but I found the converter quite useless.
    Never had a problem with it myself, but I've only used it with small PDFs.
    If I needed to view a pdf on my palm, but first I had to convert it on my desktop, wouldn't I just look at it on my desktop? It seems like a lot to go through. It would be handy to have a manual for a piece of equipment on my palm, but I would have to know ahead of time. I couldn't be in the field and just download the manual if I should need it. I agree with Roshambo that <edit> Adobe </edit> dropped the ball on this one.
    Last edited by wktaylor; 04/04/2005 at 01:11 PM.
    ^ Roshambo mentioned that Adobe dropped the ball, not Palm. This is not Palm's application. This is Adobe's issue since they made the application and it is their proprietary format.

Despite the hassel of having to convert on a desktop first it is very good to have. For me at least.

I often might be on the run and need to mail someone a document. I can have all the documents loaded onto an SD card in PDF format. And as needed check the docs over to ensure they have the needed information and send them while on the go. The person who receives the file can read it just fine since the desktop PDF reader can read Palm converted PDFs.

So it has been a big help to me.
    Sorry Rosh, didn't mean to screw up my facts.
    I would still find more use from this program if I could use a normal pdf. As it is, I can load up the tech manuals I need for work. I would still like to be able to just download pdfs from the web in the field without having to have the intermediary of a computer.
    For now to view PDFs from the web I guess the only option is to try and Google-it so maybe you can use their "view as HTML" option.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I need to download professional pieces 'on the run' as when needed.
    The direction is to download Adobe Reader to access the material.It suggests Adobe 6.0..but I downloaded Adobe 7.0 for PalmOS....and again get a reset when I click the save and open to Adobe Reader.
    Again.. I'm very much a novice to all this.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    For now to view PDFs from the web I guess the only option is to try and Google-it so maybe you can use their "view as HTML" option.
    Darnell, that's an awsome idea. I'm glad there are so many creative people on these boards.
    Try the adobe service where you can e-mail a pdf file and it'll return html or text. Also, reqwireless webviewer does conversion "on the fly".

Todd/Indy