1.    #1  
    When I signed up for Lockline insurance I had them send me a full copy of the policy. Today I decided to read over the policy a bit. I must say some of the "exclusions" (items they will not cover replacement for) are shocking to say the least.

I highly recommend everyone get a copy of the policy. I know some people have received replacements under some of these conditions, but Lockline's written policy states they won't cover the following (and these are just the few I care to list)

From Policy Page 2 section II EXCLUSIONS
    E. "Loss" due to acts caused by or resulting from rodents, insects, vermin, or other wild animals
    I. "Loss" caused by change or enhancement in color, texture, finish, expansion, contraction, or any cosmetic damage of "Covered Property" however caused, including, but not limited to, scratches, marring, and cracked displays that occur to "Covered Property" that does not affect them mechanical or electrical function of the "Covered Property".
    J. "Loss" resulting from faulty repair adjusting, installation, servicing, or maintenance unless fire or explosion ensues and then only for "Loss" by ensuing fire or explosion.
    K. The discharge, dispersal, seepage, migration, release or escape of "Pollutants".
    L. Unauthorized repair or replacement.
    N. Use of the "Covered Property" in a manner for which it was not designed or intended by the manufacturer, or failure to follow the manufacturer's installation, operation or maintenance instructions.
    Q. "Loss" due to normal wear and tear, gradual deterioration, inherent vice or latent defect.
    R. "Loss" due to "Mechanical and/or Electrical Failure".
    S. Any "Loss" or damage occasioned by or through or in consequence, directly or indirectly, of "Computer Virus", whether intentional or unintentional, and whether such loss be direct or indirect, proximate or remote or be in whole or in part caused by, contributed to or aggravated by the covered causes of "Loss" insured against under this "Coverage Certificate",
    Items Q, R and S are the most surprising to me.

I also think some of those itmes rule out any Shadowmite ROM fixes or any other ROM changes.

Just my opinion. I am not an attorney.

I just wanted to inform folks about what I read.

It almost makes this insurance not as much "insurance" as I thought.

I think Lockline at their leisure could use these to deny almost anyone.
    There are two parts to the sprint insurance. One part is $3, the other is $2. I THINK that what one doesn't cover, the other does (one of them extends the warrenty for defects, the other covers loss/damage/theft) At least that was my understanding and would explain q, r, s
  3.    #3  
    Well what I was sent were 2 things. The CNA Commercial Inland Marine Communications Equipment Coverage Certificate. Which is actually what I quoted above. Then the 2nd thing I have is the Sprint PCS Enhanced Warranty Program policy.

But the Sprint PCS Enhanced Warranty Program policy also has some pretty open ended exclusions such as (from page 1 of that policy "What is not Covered"):
    (1) Incidental or consequential damages;
    (3) loss, theft, abuse, misuse, improper installation, water damage, or customer negligence;
    (5) cracked displays unless resulting from normal wear and tear or defect in parts or manufacturing; and (6) changes or enhancements in color, texture, finish, expansion, contraction, or any cosmetic damage to Covered Equipment however caused, including, but not limited to, scratches and marring, that do not affect the mechanical or electrical function of the Designated Wireless Device.
    They both mention that they will not cover some of the same things.

To me this all makes for intentional loopholes a truck can go through...
    Just as a suggestion, I read here earlier about State Farm. I spoke with my agent and added a personal articles policy. $3 a year per $100. So insured my Treo650/1GB card/software (replacement value $900) for $27 a year. This includes $0 deductible and no depreciation.
    I know some of you may think this is fradulent... but why wouldn't you just say " I left my Treo in a cab by accident" if you were concerned that one of those things would exclude you from using insurance?

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    Those are very typical insurance exclusions. Earthquake damage is almost always excluded, and the 'wear and tear' clause is a pretty obvious thing to leave out of the policy. I'm surprised that acts of war aren't excluded- also very typical.

Pretty much boilerplate stuff
  7.    #7  
    mnr602 - State Farm's insurance does not cover some of the things that are covered by the Lockline insurance. Although many have found the State Farm option to work for them.

modma - Because insurance fraud is a crime.

mc2714 - I didn't list all the exclusions, but there are others for other various "act of God" type stuff.

Plenty of folks have received replacements for many of the same things listed as "exclusions". But I wonder how long it might be before Lockline closes the door a bit and exercises more of the exclusions? Seems they can whenever they are ready to. Which dispells many of the thoughts about LockLine's policy that they cover "anything".
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2714
    Those are very typical insurance exclusions. Earthquake damage is almost always excluded, and the 'wear and tear' clause is a pretty obvious thing to leave out of the policy. I'm surprised that acts of war aren't excluded- also very typical.

Pretty much boilerplate stuff
    Again... things that I don't understand. If you lived in an area that had an earthquake and your Treo 650 disappeared into a pool of lava [after proofreading my post, I realized that my idea of an earthquake derives from the movie "Volcano," but you get what I mean] and you didn't quite feel like fishing for it... why wouldn't you call them up and say "I lost my Treo in the back of the cab"?

The insurance for your phone should cover anything that's not intentional. Me leaving it in a cab is not intentional, an earthquake is not intentional, loss from an unusually large rat eating my Treo is not intentional.

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by modma

The insurance for your phone should cover anything that's not intentional.

-M-
    Then you should buy a policy that says that. Good luck finding one.

Insurance covers based on the terms written in the policy and nothing more. And nobody owes anyone a policy that covers "everything and anything".

You should look up the penalties for insurance fraud in your state.
    Then again, proving that you DIDN'T leave your Treo in the back of a cab might be pretty hard for the insurance company.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    According to my agent/policy it covers any incidental or non-incidental damage, loss or mysterious disappearance, or theft. Pretty inclusive to my needs.
  12.    #12  
    The history of the Treo (all models from T300 up) has shown that occasional built in defects can occur. That is what I like about LockLine's extended warrantee protection. That is covered by the Sprint PCS Enhanced Warranty Program part but not the CNA Commercial Inland Marine Communications Equipment Coverage part.

For me I've never lost a Treo or PDA ever, thank God. So I always consider internal device issues more. Just the same I find having full coverage for as many issues as possible to be a good idea .
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    loss due to inherit vice??? What, my Treo isn't covered if it drinks too much and makes friends with the local ladies of the evening??? Loss due to seepage and discharge not covered? So if the Treo battery fails from a defect, leaks and ruins the Treo, it's not covered... LOL!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680