1.    #1  
    Hi:

Sorry in advance for my ignorance . But what benifits exactly in simple lay person's language, I'll get with Shadowmite's custom ROM patch ? Do I'll still benifit after the 1.08 upgrade by SPRINT ?

I've gone on his web-site and understool only a little from his tables. Is it only about freeing some extra ROM by able to delete some unwanted programs like versamail or real player or is it something more than that ?

Does anybody had bad experience from those upgrade and if yes, is there a fix for that? I was also not able to understand the table (http://shadowmite.com/roms.html) with all X mark in front of the programs with different patches ? I mean how to decide which one to use or I can use more than one ?

Thanks for all your help in advance.
    Treo, I love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Now that 1.08 is out and a non-ROM BT DUN app, there are not any "needed" benefits (BT DUN & voice quality) of the Shadowmite custom ROM. There are still some things that users find nice to have though:

1. Removing unwanted programs from ROM removes the icon for them from your launcher so you dont have to look at them any more.

2. Installing a program you do want into ROM. This was a biggie before the memory fix in 1.08, and still maybe for some users.

That's all I can think of but I chose not to use the custom ROM. I'm sure some others will jump in to finish my list and correct me if I as wrong. But IMO the custom ROM has minimal benefits for most users post the 1.08 update. But in the begining it was a God send for many. And a great peice of work by Shadowmite. I believe that we probably would not have gotten the patch when we did if P1 had not felt the pressure of users like him making them look SO BAD.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    the other benefit is that with the shadowmite work, there are tools to move applications into the ROM thus freeing up RAM. This benefit is lessened by the improvements in the NVRAM file structure in 1.08 but is still a benefit.

NOt an entirely easy process to achieve but makes for great fun for those inclined..
    Gene
  4.    #4  
    Hi Get-treo:

What's the difference between ROM and RAM ?
    Quote Originally Posted by neilweinrib
    Hi Get-treo:

What's the difference between ROM and RAM ?
    The Treo 650 has internal memory of 32 MB of Rom (it's Flash Rom). In any event, about 9 MB is reserved for sandard software, etc. that is normally inaccesible. (Some refer to this as Rom.) Only 23 MB is user accesible for storage. (Some refer to this as Ram.) A Shadowmite Custom Rom allows individuals to define the software that is otherwise stored in the normally inaccesible reserve. In this manner, you can remove subpar programs like real player and versamail and replace them with better programs or other add ons directly into the Custom Rom (so long as they fit within the reserve memory). At the end of the day, you have removed the programs and annoying Sprint icons that you don't want and now have a Treo that contains only programs that you do want, and you still have 23 MB of user accesible storage.

While getting rid of unwanted programs and increasing memory efficiency may seem minor in the world of normal computers, when your talking about 32MB total internal memory, this is really a big deal to a lot of users that find themselves running up against memory limits. This is especially notable because not all programs can be stored and run off of the external SD card.
    Last edited by Katway; 04/04/2005 at 07:44 AM.
    Katway, that was a very concise and helpful description. Well written.
  7.    #7  
    So katway: Thanks for your simple but very effective explanation. Now after 1.08 update from Sprint, do you still think that Shadowmite's custom ROM is needed or effective ?

If yes, how to choose between those different patches listed in tabular form with X sign against different programs ((http://shadowmite.com/roms.html) on his web-site ? Can you install only one of them or more than one ?
    So katway: Thanks for your simple but very effective explanation. Now after 1.08 update from Sprint, do you still think that Shadowmite's custom ROM is needed or effective ?
    No, it's not NEEDED, like it was before. Now it is a matter of personal taste. Do you want certain programs removed? Also as noted, with the ROM tool, it is possible to add different programs into custom ROMs.

Regarding how effective it is. Well, it won't get you laid, but as pointed out by Katway if you don't use Versamail, it would be one less icon to clutter your screen. Of course, adding your own favorite programs into ROM can be effective in freeing up RAM space. Not all programs seem to behave in RAM, so it can be trial and error. But it would seem most do. Keep in mind though, that if you were to add a program to ROM via the ROM tool, and an upgrade for that program were to come out, you'd have to edit the ROM to install the new version. That is, if you use Snappermail, and decided to add it to ROM, if a major upgrade comes out, it'll be a bit more work to install the upgrade, since you'd have to add it to your ROM. Obviously the only way to do this is off the Treo, so it would require not only you to add the file, but reflash the ROM.

If yes, how to choose between those different patches listed in tabular form with X sign against different programs ((http://shadowmite.com/roms.html) on his web-site ? Can you install only one of them or more than one ?
    Whatever is checked in the SM ROMs are what is installed. So, it would be up to you to determine which ROM you could use. Just depends on what you want or don't want.
    As far as installing goes. You can only install one at a time, but you can, if say you chose ROM#3, later replace it it ROM#5.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    What do the voice patch and memo do?
    what does the treo do?
    So if I understand correctly, Shadowmite's Rom 3 with Real 1.08 custom ROM will mess up the PRL on my verizonized 650????? Please let me know if you know 100% b/c I have no clue on what to do if that happens. I HATE SPRINT!!! Thanks gang ur the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    what does the treo do?
    Push email for corporate users! I think
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnytoo
    So if I understand correctly, Shadowmite's Rom 3 with Real 1.08 custom ROM will mess up the PRL on my verizonized 650????? Please let me know if you know 100% b/c I have no clue on what to do if that happens. I HATE SPRINT!!! Thanks gang ur the best!

Skinnytoo........if you choose to implement Shadowmite's Custom 1.08 ROM you have a likelyhood of creating a nice paperweight. The ROM is for SPRINT PHONES ONLY.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Frydog

Treo 300 ----> Treo 600 ----> Treo 650 ----> Treo 700p ----> whats next???

www.lostorder.com (Gaming)
    www.big-hump.com (Hashing)
    Fry...It is Sprint 650...verizonized!!!
    If you know what you're doing you can definitely take advantage of putting certain apps in ROM and free up some memory. I use rom #4 and added Voicesignal to ROM and put Versamail in RAM. I would've liked Versamail in ROM but I can only have 7MB or less in ROM otherwise I get a Flash Failed error.
  16.    #16  
    By Shadowmite's Custom Rom, I deleted Versamail. Now I'm kind of missing it when I see Snapper mail taking its sweet long time scanning through all my inbox mail before downloading the new ones and then disconnecting.

How can I add Versamail now ? Do I've to buy it seperately or reverese the patch ?

Thanks a lot
    just get Shadowmite's ROM 3, and you'll have Versamail back.