1.    #1  
    There are a couple of websites that I tend to frequent, that has videos that you can watch. When I try to do this it asks me if I want to save to card. When I do this and it saves it, what do I do with it then? Will the built in media player player them, or do I need another app or plug-in? Thanks..
    Last edited by Treodad; 04/03/2005 at 09:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Your best bet is MMPlayer, although it is limited in terms of what formats it will play. (But it currently plays a wider variety of formats than its primary competition, namely Kinoma. Kinoma is useless unless you also buy their Producer software to convert videos on your PC.)
    not true. kinoma player plays mpeg4
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Isn't mpeg4 3gp? Cuz all the adds for the Treo say it records video in MPEG4 but the extensions are .3gp not .mpg.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    It only plays MPEG4 video AND audio, and only within an ISO MPEG4 container format, and is EXTREMELY picky about the exact subset of the ISO MPEG4 standards. Tools for this format are very immature, Kinoma Producer is the only software anyone has had any luck with. If you're a Mac user or Linux user, you're screwed. Kinoma Player will choke on any ISO MPEG4 files produced by non-Producer software I've tried including the MPEG4IP reference implementation, even though those same files will play fine in any other media player capable of ISO MPEG4 A/V.

It does not support MPEG4 video with MP3 audio in an AVI container, which is currently one of the most common video formats. Also, it supports a smaller subset of MPEG4 video than MMPlayer does. (MMPlayer supports Advanced Simple Profile, I believe Kinoma only supports Simple Profile.)

Edit: Oh, and 3gp is one of the other ISO standard MPEG4 containers. It's a very limited subset of MPEG4, which happens to be pretty similar to what Kinoma supports. Kinoma supposedly supports 3gp, but as I mentioned before, MPEG4 ASP video and MPEG1 Layer 3 (aka MP3) audio in an AVI container is currently FAR more common than 3gp/ISO MPEG4.
    take that dutch!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."