1.    #1  
    I was just wondering what everyone thinks are the best programs for my new treo 650.
    Please take this with the good will with which it is intended...

first welcome to TC, This a wonderful community and you will learn how to maximize your treo experience here.

second, There is a great search feature here. Use it to get started. There are so many best application, best heaset, case, best 6 app, best 10 app, how to copy dvd, how to use mp3's as ringtones, etc threads if you start to search you'll probably find 15-20 threads that pique your interest to begin posting in.

Don't flame me guys, the guy has 6 posts. Just trying to point him/her in the right direction.

From my experience here, the more specific and well informed your question...the more answers you'll get.

For what it's worth, I use...

2day
    4cast
    backupbuddy vfs pro
    Ultrasoft Money (must have)
    butler
    call notes
    CHATTER (the best email period)
    chess genious (great app)
    datebook 5
    drectory assitant
    docs to go
    ereader
    flightstatus
    hilauncher (must have)
    inoah
    ipedia
    kepcaps650
    kroma
    kinoma
    launch this
    mlights
    msafe
    mvoice
    ptunes
    pxaclocker
    splashblog
    splashid
    splashphoto
    takephone (must have)
    teal auto
    teal lock (must have)

technician
    text plus
    uninstall manager
    verichat
    zlauncher (must have)

search on any of these apps to learn about them

good luck!!
    Last edited by dutchtrumpet; 04/03/2005 at 01:42 AM.
  3.    #3  
    thanks, i will look around from now on first
    TakePhone and DateBK5 are must have applications in my book. I am a big fan of Zlauncher, but picking a launcher is a matter of personal taste
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    LMB:

I am gonna echo the trumpeting doggie from Amsterdam up top there....there's hundreds of Top xx programs list in various threads here. That being said......two places you might wanna check are here:

Tracker Dog Web SIte - TD is an app that tracks the version numbers of what programs you are using against the latest versions. As it does so, it checks your Palm to see what apps you have installed and records the numbers in a database. You can therefore with quite a bit more certainty than opinion polls see what the 100 most popular Palm titles are.

http://trackerdog.a0soft.com/top100.php

The other list ya wanna check is th Software Compatablity list here:

http://www.palmfocus.com/treo650software.asp

Avoid programs in the page's "red light district"

For long term stability, I'd suggest putting Uninstall Manager on as your very first application. Available from Northglide in the NeatFreakPak (with CleanUp) for about $12 if ya can google the promotional code (1/3 off) like I did <grin>.

Among my other "Must Have's"

PowerRun - Moves apps to SD card (you did order your free 128 MB SD card from palmOne right ?)
    VoiceDial(ing) - From Voice Signal, this app is on the CD...well it is if you use MSIE. Otherwise can be found here and is a 14 day free trail. My trial ended after 10 minutes and 3 calls. To me a Treo w/o VS's app is like a TV w/o a remote.
    Time Manager Pad - About the only Calendar replacement I can stand.
    TreoAlarm - Wakes me up, turns phone on and off, gets weather updates.
    PowerUp - Detects reset loops, powers up phone to specific app
    PalmPuke - Detects SD card eject, before you walk away and lose it.
    Metro - Guide to public transportation in major cities throughout world.
    FlightStatus - Advises you of flight schedule status - is the plane on time or late...nice when driving around air port loops waiting for your "pickup" to exit terminal.
    Crash - Detects crashes and auto resets
    FileZ - File Manager
    STOIC - Stay on In Cradle (self explanatory)
    Thumbscan - My favorite "goof tool". Totally bogus thumb scanner....unless you hit the "secret button" first, TS will scan a thumprint and then tell you that the unwitting target of your goof FAILED to pass a security test and therefore is "wanted by the FBI", "can not board plane" , "gets no desert with dinner" or whatever byou want.
    BackUpBuddyBundle - Gives you Pro versions of BUB for windows and BUB for the SD card. First backs up your Treo to Windows, 2nd backs it up to SD card.

I have attached a PDF of the spreadsheet I keep for what software I might want to try / installed / took off with url's and comemnts as to version number hoe page etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Just to add my two cents to this pile of poo...

Newbs listen up. When asking a question like this, be a bit specific. What will you use your Treo for?

I can tell you to get something like pTunes, but if you have no desire to listen to music or have ringtones, it's worthless to you.

But some pretty universal apps would be:
    FileZ (a free file browser...did I say FREE?)

If you plan on getting several apps, you'll need an app that moves these programs to SD card. Either a multiuse one like zLauncher or LauncherX, which does this and gives your Treo's screen a face lift, or a pure launcher like PowerRUN.

Also, a great program is DA (Directory Assistance.) Just like the name says, it's like having 411 in the palm of your hand.

A backup program can come in handy.

Anything else is mostly up to your wants and desires.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Here's a thread you can look at giving Top 6 Apps:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=75871
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    My favs:

Audible
    Bonsai (great to-do program)
    DayNotez
    Express
    eReader
    pTunes
    SmartMovie
    Splash Suite (includes ID, Money, Photo, and Shopper)
    TealAuto
    Verichat
    Here is what you need:

-Snappermail
    -Agendus
    -Verichat
    -KeyCaps600
    -ZLauncher
    -LedOff
    -KBLightsoff

That's it....you have that, you are set.
    i keep seeing people like to use filez to move stuff to the sd card-i have been just going to the menu-app-copy and copy to the sd card then delete off the phone-is there a reason i shouldn't do it this way?
    I use PowerRun to move apps to the SD card. It then allows use to create a shortcut (apps Icon) on the Treo internal memory for the app you put on the SD card. This icon appears with an asterisk* to let you know that the app is on the SD card.

I use fileZ mainly to clean up (delete) unwanted files.
    LOL
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    OK, I'm going to pile on here, enjoy:

Doc2Go
    TodayPlus (great Launcher/today app)
    BackupMan
    NeatFreak Pack
    TreoAlarm (free)
    Directory Assistance (free)
    Initiate (wish it had 5-way Nav support for function buttons)
    Converter2.2 (free)
    FileZ (free)
    Intelligolf
    Verichat
    Shadow Plan
    Phone Technician (Paid for it but still not sure)
    VoiceDial by Voice Signal
    Grafitti Anywhere (free)
    QuickIM (currently testing for developer)
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
    Anyone have a zip file for PalmPuke? I keep going to the site to download, but the site seems to be down. Thanks!
    here u go...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks Viper!
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    I use PowerRun to move apps to the SD card. It then allows use to create a shortcut (apps Icon) on the Treo internal memory for the app you put on the SD card. This icon appears with an asterisk* to let you know that the app is on the SD card.

I use fileZ mainly to clean up (delete) unwanted files.
    LOL

TurboTiger,

Would you list apps you have successfully moved to the SD card via Power Run? I am looking specifically for apps such as Splash ID and Money. I wonder if they work with Power Run and if so, I can purchase them and not worry.

Thanks.
    Spalsh ID and Splash Money work fine if they are on the SD card. However, if you want to use them for hotsync, its recommended that you place them in ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Spalsh ID and Splash Money work fine if they are on the SD card. However, if you want to use them for hotsync, its recommended that you place them in ROM
    thanks cellmatrix...
    however, i would like to know if anyone had any success with the syncing after moving the apps to the SD card via Power Run. From what i have heard, some programs that need to be in RAM will sync fine, having been moved by Power Run to the SD card.

Rob