Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys... I've been reading all the posts on using iSync on OSX with the Treo 650, but still can't figure out if you still have to use HotSync in conjunction with it or not.

When I try to "Setup Devices" through iSync, it doesn't find my Treo and specifically says "For Palm OS devices, you must use HotSync Manager." However, I can pair my Mac if I do it through the Treo.

But from the posts on the board, it seems that some people are able to use iSync exclusively to sync their Treo with Address Book, iCal, etc. From playing around with it, I can't get iSync to find my Treo at all... that's the first problem.

So I decided to install HotSync (and all the other crap). I set it up and was able to sync, but it never asked me what applications I wanted to sync it with. It's in the process right now, so does it just sync to PalmDesktop by default or does it know to sync it to Address Book, and iCal?

I saw that it was installed a couple appls, like Documents To Go, which is great, but my main objectives with "syncing" is to:

1. Sync Address Book
    2. Sync iCal

Can you guys tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I'm not understanding?

Thanks y'all!

VNL.
  2.    #2  
    Okay... so I answered one of my questions. HotSync definitely syncs with Palm Desktop by default.

Is the only way to initiate a Sync through the Treo. Can you not initiate it from the computer?
    You cannot initiate the hotsync from the PC side with a 'stock' unit and I am not aware of any 3rd party SW that permits this either.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    You cannot initiate the hotsync from the PC side with a 'stock' unit and I am not aware of any 3rd party SW that permits this either.
    Thanks Ohmster... 'preciate the response. Just making sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

But still, my biggest question is how do I get iSync to work with my Treo when it doesn't even recognize it. I know it's possible, but there hasn't been any definitive answers on how to get it done.

Thanks guys!
    You first need to pair your Mac and Treo using the Bluetooth Setup Assistant on your Mac. You also need the Palm Isync Conduit, which is available from Apple (do a search on their website). You should be able to initiate a sync, then, using Isync. I use Missing Sync and Microsoft Entourage instead of iCal/Palm Desktop and sync my iBook with my Treo through BT with very little difficulty. Setting up was a breeze following the instructions. See www.markspace.com for more on Missing Sync. You have to pay for it but it is worth it. It is a great program and the support is outstanding.
    I use isync as a conduit within hotsync. I disable the other conduits, so only ical updates. I do not use palm desktop.

I hotsync via cable and bluetooth. I have an ibook running OS X.3

Clue
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    You also need the Palm Isync Conduit, which is available from Apple (do a search on their website).
    Ohhhh... is that what I was missing? I didn't realize that the iSync Conduit was different than the iSync application. So, to confirm, IN ADDITION, to having the iSync application, I have to download a separate Palm conduit?

Found it: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...lmconduit.html

I may still pick up a copy of MissingSync as I think I may want to use Entourage.

Question: Can iSync take the place of HotSync entirely? Or will it always be used within HotSync?

Thanks for the help guys... things are making a lot more sense.
    I think you need to be running Palm Desktop for iSync and the iSync conduit to work properly. If you decide to use Entourage, you will need to install the Entourage Conduit from Microsoft. This will take the place of the "Tasks, Calendar, Contacts" conduits. You will need to turn off the iSync Conduit too. Missing Sync has comprehensive instructions on how to set it up. I highly recommend it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    If you decide to use Entourage, you will need to install the Entourage Conduit from Microsoft. This will take the place of the "Tasks, Calendar, Contacts" conduits. You will need to turn off the iSync Conduit too. Missing Sync has comprehensive instructions on how to set it up. I highly recommend it.
    Hmmmmm... so Microsoft offer a Palm conduit for Entourage? Like this one:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...gnosysreq=True

If that does what it says it does on the website (sync my Palm with Entourage) then why do I need MissingSync? Does MissingSync do anything the Microsoft conduit (FREE!) doesn't?

Gracias all!
    You don't need Missing Sync but I have found it works much better than syncing using Palm Desktop, at least for me.
    Cluemeister, when you paired your Treo with the Mac Bluetooth, the three options (sync contacts, and calendar) were available? You can BT sync to your iApps? I can't...
    -mbd26
    mbd26,

Ical and address book sync with my treo just fine. The only occasional problem I have is that ical creates an "unfiled" calendar, (don't know why), and the address book categories (on the mac) and some address book fields (treo and address book fields don't match) don't transfer correctly. Both problems are minor and/or rare.

As to iapps, you're ahead of me, as I don't know how to use iapps.

I'd like to get Tiger, but I've read about the syncing issues with that, and am hoping for a fix before I buy it.

Clue
    I have had one problem since upgrading to Tiger. My Entourage Conduit no longer works, so I have switched to using the built-in iSync conduit with Missing Sync and it has worked fine. I am now using iCal and the Mac Addressbook instead of Entourage now. It works fine but I miss the "suite" approach of Entourage.
    Broose, you do that over Bluetooth?

Thanks for the response Clue... but I'm still trying to get iSync to sync my calendar (iCal) and contacts (address book) over BT. I bought Missing Sync, which is cool, but does not solve my problem because it also relies on the iSync conduit... right?
    -mbd26
    Also, it depends on whether you're running 10.3 or 10.4.
    They behave differently.

I sync with my Treo and Mac via USB and Bluetooth. 10.4 and USB is much much faster than 10.3 and Bluetooth.

If you don't install the Palm stuff you won't be able to backup and install new apps. If you just want to sync with iCal and Address Book, then you can just use the Apple iSync conduit
    I am using BT to sync. My USB cable stopped working a long time ago so I only do a backup once a week to save time. I sync the iSync conduit every day. I am running 10.4 on my ibook G4
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    Thanks for the response Clue... but I'm still trying to get iSync to sync my calendar (iCal) and contacts (address book) over BT. I bought Missing Sync, which is cool, but does not solve my problem because it also relies on the iSync conduit... right?
    Missing sync is helpful with having an independent memo pad to sync with, (so that you don't need palm desktop) itunes syncing, and a few other things. You're right that you are still dependent on the iSync conduit, and its irritating non-communication with palm categories.

Have you tried to set up your bluetooth hotsync in the hotsync app on the treo? That's where i stumbled at first.

Also, I would hotsync via cable for the very first time, as transferring a lot of data from the treo to the mac via BT is verrrryyyy sloooowwww.

Good luck!
    My options are grayed out during setup, and I used to be able to sync iCal, Address Book with my Palm. I also use Missing Sync, but the problem seems to be within Tiger. I did a clean install.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucidfuse
    My options are grayed out during setup, and I used to be able to sync iCal, Address Book with my Palm. I also use Missing Sync, but the problem seems to be within Tiger. I did a clean install.
    hi there, I had the sameproblem yesterday. I got my treo yesterday and none of teh sync options were available in tiger.

I read about and realised I was being quiet silly. I opened up isync, when to file and enabled plam devices. Then i went to the palm folder in appliactions. I went to hot sync manger.Then I went to the hotsync menu tab and went to conduit settings. I then enable isync. I choose my prefences for syncing. Then pressed hotsync on palm. Bosh done, works a treat. You have to enable bluetooth syncing first though.
    So I'm trying to get BT sync set up between my PowerMac G5 and my Treo 650. I can get the devices to pair just fine. When I try to configure the Treo in Bluetooth Preferences on the Mac, it tells me, "There were no supported services found on your mobile phone" and all of the options (iSync, Address Book, and DUN) are greyed out.

I'm running 10.4.1 on a G5 dualie with an after-market Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter plugged into the spare USB port on my Apple keyboard. Any theories as to where this is blowing up?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast