1. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Much of this information can be found throughout these forums but it's scattered all over the place. I think it would be a good move to have it all in one place, perhaps as a sticky? So I figure I'd try to start something:

The support pages in the palmOne website include a page titled Bluetooth® Compatibility for Treo™ 650 smartphones which everyone should read. Among other things, it lists the features which are possible with a headset that supports the right Hands Free Protocol (not to be confused with a Headset Protocol). These features include:

Incoming call alert in headset.
    Incoming call automatically transferred to headset.
    Outgoing call automatically transferred to headset.
    Call transfers from handset to headset by pressing headset button.
    Call Reject from headset.
    Last number redial from headset.
    Call Swap (call waiting) from headset.

It also lists several headsets which do not support all of these features. The list of which do and which don't is incomplete, though and that's where a thread like this can be a real asset if people take the time to "fill in the blanks."

I suggest that our reports include which of these features are supported by each headset. In addition, what, if any, other features are supported (like voice dialing). Then there's the subjective stuff like earpiece volume, static, microphone sensitivity, noise rejection, and comfort.

I also suggest we put the make, model, and BT version of the BT headset in the Title: field and include service provider, firmware version, and other Treo details in the body of the posting.

I'll start with my latest acquisition:

Pete
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Handspring Visor > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Pro > Pre (in November) ... Evolution, or more money than sense?
  2. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Sprint PCS Treo 650 w/ Firmware Update v1.08
    Logitech Mobile Freedom Headset, BT v1.2

Incoming call alert in headset: YES, 1-2 rings
    Incoming call automatically transferred to headset: YES, 1-2 rings
    Outgoing call automatically transferred to headset: YES, 1-2 rings
    Call transfers from handset to headset by pressing headset button: YES
    Call Reject from headset: YES but hangs up on caller.
    Last number redial from headset: NO
    Call Swap (call waiting) from headset: UNKNOWN

As reported, it will not work with Treo Voice Dialing. Calls can be initiated via voice dialing from the handset and the call automatically transfers to the headset once dialed.

No apparent support for voice tags (aren't they just a fable, anyway?).

Speaker volume is excellent without any "mute button" trick. Callers were easily heard while riding a bicycle along a busy 6-lane, 40-mph boulevard (phone volume at level-5, headset volume 2-clicks from max). Traffic noise could be heard by the callers but my voice was clearly heard over the traffic noise. At 25-mph on my bicycle the wind noise in my ear was quite noticeable but I could still clearly hear the callers. The callers could not hear the wind noise, though. When I was in a reasonably quiet location and speaking at a normal level, the callers reported that I sounded like I was standing in the room with them.

Once adjusted correctly, the headset fits securely. I might be able to dislodge it with extreme head movements but normal things like running, etc. won't budge it. It's a little awkward to put on, but once it's on it feels secure and it's unlikely that it's going anywhere.

I found the headset to be acceptably comfortable once adjusted correctly. For the first hour I hardly noticed it but I wanted to switch ears after 2 hours. I suspect this is a temporary problem, though: My glasses kicked my **** when I first started wearing them but I only remove them to sleep now and they don't hurt anymore.

Gawd forbid I should ever have to wear a BT headset all day anyway.

Pete
    Last edited by Gizmonkey; 04/02/2005 at 10:20 PM.
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Handspring Visor > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Pro > Pre (in November) ... Evolution, or more money than sense?