Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First of all, a huge acknowledgement to Shadowmite who proved this was possible. I've been using his hack for a while, but now I've create a alternative enabler, which has a few advantages:

1) Easier installation. Just hotsync it. No restarts needed.
    2) Several users have reported that it seems more stable with 1.08 SPCS ROM.
    3) No Palm copyrighted code. (doesn't replace original)
    4) Can quickly enable and disable if the hack causes any problems.
    5) It's very small.

This hack MAY work on GSM phones as well, but this is untested. No promises. I have only tested on a SprintPCS 1.08 phone.

Just install the BtDUNHack.prc and also grab YAHM from yahm.palmoid.com if you don't already have it. Use the YAHM hack manager to enable/disable the hack.

If you're already using the Shadowmite hack, or a custom ROM with it built in, and you're happy with it, there's no reason to bother with this. This is just an alternative, it doesn't provide any new functionality.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    im gonna wait till someone here tries it with a gsm model to try it on my cingular treo
    for me it's still hit and miss with my ipaq initiating the connection
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    4) Can quickly enable and disable if the hack causes any problems.
    Is there dosumentation ? Does it do anything that is not "uninstallable" ? Uninstall process ? IOW, what risks do we run if we give it a shot <grin> ?
  5.    #5  
    Good questions. It does not do anything permanent at all. If you disable the checkbox in the YAHM manager it turns off completely. Then you can turn it back on later if you want it.

As far as what it does it accomplishes the same thing as the Shadowmite patch, which is to turn on the "hidden" DUN control in the bluetooth manager. The difference is how. He took the original version, hacked it and when you install it replaces the built-in BT manager. My version is a seperate program that wakes up when the BT manager runs. Then, when the GUI is displayed it waits for the BtManager to try and hide the control but then turns it back on.

So the bottom line is I don't believe there's any danger at all. In fact I think it is less risky than running the hacked BtManager from 1.03 on 1.08, because it doesn't replace the program in ROM, and especially because its so easy to remove.

This is a "hack" in the classic "HackMaster" sense of the word. Search the web if you want more info about the concept of "hacks" on PalmOS.
    Last edited by DrWowe; 04/02/2005 at 09:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well this sounds awesome!... But it doesn't seem to work for me at all... I installed it, but it doesn't make the option show up in my bluetooth prefrences. I even tried soft resetting. Any ideas?

-Jacob
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    Well this sounds awesome!... But it doesn't seem to work for me at all... I installed it, but it doesn't make the option show up in my bluetooth prefrences. I even tried soft resetting. Any ideas?

-Jacob
    same problem with me. Nothing comming up. Will try to add the file to my external card and run it from there.
    Just trying it now but I think you need a hack manager like

YAHM (yet a nother hack manager)

thanksfor your work in advance!
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Ahh, yes, that was it. I needed to install YAHM too. This is sweet! The reasons you mentioned are precisely the reasons that I haven't been using the other DUN hack, but now I have no reason not to. Thanks DrWowe and Shadowmite!
    In case you're wondering, DrWowe is also the guy who assisted (rather, actually merged/decoded) the multiple spanned ZIP archives with the PDB headers for the 1.08 ROM. Additionally he also posted source code for the above. He's one of the reasons the 1.08 Shadowmite updates exist and has actively contributed to the community of Treo 650 users.

Just wanted to lay that down for anyone who thought this was a hoax or trickery.
    can u use a cable with this hack? (since a usb cable is faster, correct? like with pda.net)
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I'm running 1.08 with Shadowmite's 1.03 DUN patch (loaded via emailing it to myself and installing.) Works for me.

But now I'd like to try this new alternative BlueTooth DUN enabler, just to compare.

So how do I revert back to the vanilla 1.08 first? Just delete "btmanager.prc" from RAM?

Thanks...
  13.    #13  
    1. This is for bluetooth only. You need a different solution for cable hookups.

2. Yes to disable the Shadowmite hack you need to remove BtManager from RAM.. You can use a tool like Filez to do this.
    This works on my Cingular branded Treo650. Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    Good questions. It does not do anything permanent at all. If you disable the checkbox in the YAHM manager it turns off completely. Then you can turn it back on later if you want it.

"snip"

He took the original version, hacked it and when you install it replaces the built-in BT manager. My version is a seperate program that wakes up when the BT manager runs. Then, when the GUI is displayed it waits for the BtManager to try and hide the control but then turns it back on.
    Nice! I feel more comfortable NOT replacing the BT manager. This is great! Thanks very much for all of your work and contributions. I followed your progress on shadowmite's forum as well DrWowe.

Thanks

Mike
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Here is what is happening on my end...

Trying to connect with a Pocket PC Device (Dell Axim X50v) using an ATT/Cingular Treo 650....

-Install the YAHM and the hack, hack is enabled with the DUNS hack activated.
    -Use the BT Manager on the PPC, discovers the Treo and goes through the following steps..
    -Waiting for Device
    -Authentication Successful!
    -Discovering Device "Johns Treo"
    -Waiting for the device...
    -An error occured while attempting device discovery. Please make sure the remote device is turned on, Bluetooth is enabled and the device is discoverable and try again.

All the above are happening and it still won't work. Might be because it's a GSM phone?

Thanks for your help.

John
  17.    #17  
    The ONLY effect these hacks have is to re-enable the "hidden" control in the BTManager GUI. So if you see the DUN Yes/No option, then the hack worked.

But... that is no guarentee that there aren't bugs in the actual implementation of DUN in the ROM. If there are, there's really no way to fix them outside of palmOne. (or, at least it would take a MUCH more complicated hack)
    Strange Request #47

Has anyone had any success creating a workable bluetooth DUN configuration on a Sony Clie? If so, please post your settings. Thanks!
    When I select:

DUN: On

I get: TransLibOpen err 0x0307

Then it appears to start normally (I haven't tried networking yet).

Then when I put it back to Off I get:

TransLibClose err
    0x5002

Should I be nervous or worried? :-)

Grant
    --
    Visit www.throwingtoasters.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterBoy
    When I select:

DUN: On

I get: TransLibOpen err 0x0307

Then it appears to start normally (I haven't tried networking yet).

Then when I put it back to Off I get:

TransLibClose err
    0x5002

Should I be nervous or worried? :-)

Grant
    I received the same errors and was unable to get might laptop to use it. So I shelled out the cash for PDAnet *sigh*
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast