1.    #1  
    I am one of those people with a defective unlocked GSM 650. I am reasonable and expected it to have some issues but not major flaws in the core functions of the device, specifically the earpiece and speaker. P1 has had good intentions by replacing my device (like they have for many others) but as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. P1 has not formally acknowledged the problems, at least not to me, but if they did I might be more understanding.

I use to run a publicly traded company (albeit a small one compared to P1) and one thing I didn't want was the analysts getting offside. P1 is in a very vulnerable place right now with so much of their valuation based on the future sales of the 650. If a couple of analysts start to think that sales of the 650 may be impacted because of quality issues, I'd be willing to bet P1 will be quicker to address our issues. If I had to have known about the earpiece/speaker issues I wouldn't have bought the 650 when I did. I don't think I'm alone. P1 may not pay a lot of attention to the TC board but I promise you they don't ignore their analysts.

Anyone besides me think it would be worthwhile to make a couple of calls or send an email or two to P1 analysts?
    I think it would be a big waste of time, but hey, that's just me. Email is free, and if you call an 800 number that is free too. Knock yourself out.

If Wall Street analysts are going to be influenced by a couple of calls, then I wouldnt want them analyzing anything. The problems with the 650 tend to be blown out of proportion in these boards because 90% of the people who come to these boards do so in search of solutions to a problem. But the fact of the matter is that registered users of these boards are a very small fraction of Treo users nationwide.

The reason I am so skeptical is that I have seen this same situation repeat itself time and time and time and time again with Palm, dating back to the old Palm IIIC (first color Palm). Remember that one? So many predicted the demise of Palm, that Handspring was going to clean their clocks, that Microsoft was going to take over the PDA market, etc. etc. etc. And here we are, 7-8 years later, going through the same old thing. Fact is there is no product that Palm or any other manufacturer can make that is going to please everybody. And there is no board that is going to be successful with posts only from people with positive results.

My $.02.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  3.    #3  
    ZBoater, great points. I think you are probably right. I am one of those people that feels we must do more than just complain. I was thinking that putting some pressure in the right places might get some action. The P1 analyst community isn't overly positive about P1's prospects right now, in fact their mean recommendation is 2.3 or so out of a possible 5. Perception as much as reality drives the stock market and even if only a minority of P1 customers are impacted by the bugs/flaws, if a new 'spin' hits the street with a negative tone, that will almost certainly impact P1's stock. Its a long shot but so is directly getting any satisfaction out of P1 in the short term.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    The problems with the 650 tend to be blown out of proportion in these boards because 90% of the people who come to these boards do so in search of solutions to a problem. But the fact of the matter is that registered users of these boards are a very small fraction of Treo users nationwide.
    Not neccessarily true
    When the Sprint version hit the streets, it was these boards that made them take a look at and eventually adress the memory issue. I don't believe that was an easy thing for them to do. So I don't think they would have bothered if they felt like we were just a minority.
    I'm willing to bet a fair number of those analysts use T650s
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    ... that Microsoft was going to take over the PDA market, etc. etc. etc.

Somewhere, someone has a copy of a video Donna Dubinsky ran at the start of her presentation at the first Plam Developers conference. to paraphrase, it showed a series of Bill Gates announcements that MS was taking over the hand-held/tablet/pen computing space, then would show someone using that same MS-based device as a cheese cutting board. The video was hysterical.....

Folks have been predicting the end since the beginning.

ps. I like my Treo 650.

pps. my CEO broke th escreen on his 180 when it punched it because it locked up once too often...... remember those days ??
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcmullin
    Anyone besides me think it would be worthwhile to make a couple of calls or send an email or two to P1 analysts?
    The most powerful recourse you have is returning the unit. Forget the political route of trying to influence investors and analysts.

If you feel that it can be reasonably fixed, your best recourse is to continually return units. If you feel that there is no fix, and PalmOne has not given you the satisfaction you seek, you should return the unit or eBay it and wash your hands clean.

If you are keeping your unit despite all the problems you are having, to put it lightly... the sucker is you.

Returns cost the company money, and get a lot more attention than a random phone call from someone they don't know.
  8.    #8  
    Right about returning it, especially multiple times. Very costly. Honestly, I just want the phone to work correctly.