Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am on my treo now and I'm frustrated as hell. it appears the reboots do get more frequent over time. First it was random, then it was with realplayer prefs, which I can now never access. Now its with send and replying in versamail. I've been patiently waiting for the unlocked version patch, but who knows how long that will be!? is a hard reset my only solution??? arggggg
    I would recommend this thred to methodically narrow down the possible causes of your resets. Its for Cingular users, but some of the suggestions are applicable to everyone.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Forget the threads....the cause of 90% of resets can be traced back to:

-NVFS
    - The Palm OS, which is currently in 1997 mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Forget the threads....the cause of 90% of resets can be traced back to:

-NVFS
    - The Palm OS, which is currently in 1997 mode.
    Ummm, I hate to be disagreeable, but I disagree.

From everything I have read here, the most common cause of resets is a misbehaving and conflicting applications. Cingular users were also plagued by the bad SIM problem which has since been fixed.

If you can use your phone "clean" without doing any hotsyncs whatsoever, you can pretty much put to rest NVFS or the Palm OS as the reasons for the resets. If you stick to reputable developers and apps that have been updated to be compatible with the 650, you will have a much more pleasant 650 experience.
    Cingular Treo 650
    I am gonna have to agree with Zboater. Most of the threads I have seen with frustrated users have:

1) When I download 120 e-mails, it.....
    2) I just received my Treo last night, added 45 programs from my 600
    3) I am using (something known from threads here to be dosagreeble with 650)
    4) I have the bum 64k Gemplus card.

I haven't seen a complaint with anyone who has followed the manuals "getting acquainted procedure" of using it as a phone for first day and then following 1st week, 2nd week, 1st month procedures; uses Uninstall Manager to keep misbehaving programs from doing long term damage and who installed programs 1 at a time "from scratch". Of course there's going to be bum devices...after I finish my messages here, it's off to replace a $300 MoBo on a 6 week old desktop.....but if the replacement works, it certainly can't be the NVFS and the OS.
    Zboat and Jack,

Believe what you like.
    Clean Treos reset plenty.

NVFS was shoved into Palm 5.x as a kludge. It was aimed at OS 6.

Palm OS 5.x is basically a dressed up version of 3.x circa 1997. It inherently cannot handle the hardware or software demands of a smartphone.

Hence the resets, which everyone blames on 3rd party software, aka the boogeyman.
    How come you only post complaints?

I would like to know on what information you base this info? How do we know you're not making it up as you go along?

Just curious.

Tom
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the replies, but honestly should I really start reloading all of my applications one at a time? And compared to the 100's of apps TC people use, I tend to be on the conservative side. And even if i did remove each app at a time to try and find a "culprit", where would I begin. I mean the reboots are clearly from within versamail and realplayer. How can another apps existence break those apps? It's just mindboggling... I'd rather live with the reboots until the magical mystery fix comes along then start hacking apart my suite of applications.
    I stopped living with my reboots on a STOCK T650 with purely fundamental use. My solution = got rid of it, back to two devices. Heck, I just wanted to be able to make and receive calls and manage my datebook and contacts on one device! I shall return to the fold with the next Treo (hoping it works).

BTW, would you clear the ECU on your WRX, then remap it, if 10% of the time your ABS failed to function? Hell no. Hello new car...
    Cingular T650
    ...now back to Motorola and a Zire 72!
    [QUOTE=mikec]Zboat and Jack,

Believe what you like.
    Clean Treos reset plenty.
    QUOTE]

My Treo was clean for 2 weeks before (and after) I put anything on it and guess what?

No resets.

I like that and I also believe it.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I am gonna have to agree with Zboater. Most of the threads I have seen with frustrated users have:

1) When I download 120 e-mails, it.....
    2) I just received my Treo last night, added 45 programs from my 600
    3) I am using (something known from threads here to be dosagreeble with 650)
    4) I have the bum 64k Gemplus card.
    That's petty much the case with my Treo 650, too: I've slimmed down on the number of applications I have and my Treo 650 is incredibly stable.

--Bill
    I know my problem was software. I did a hard reset and just reinstalled the basics, and ever since I've been loading new stuff about 1 per week. My T650 is working fine now.
    I think that's why Steve Jobs decided not to buy Palm1 yesterday....

SImon
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I'm with mikec here. A lot of folks are saying "well, I slimmed down the number of apps, and I don't get resets anymore." Who can honestly say they bought the best available PalmOS based smartphone to run a small number of apps in a mostly stock configuration? What if you dropped $1000 or more on a new fully-loaded Dell PC and you couldn't get it to remain stable unless you did all your word processing in Wordpad? You'd send the sucker back! *

A smartphone with the Treo's available memory and capabilities should *not* be resetting all the time unless it's in a stock configuration. That's like selling a Corvette that explodes when it hits 45mph!

It's disturbing to me that people in this community are rolling over like this. I understand being patient, but I can't believe people would go so far as to rush to the defense of Palm and shun someone who calls a spade a spade. It clearly IS NVFS and PalmOS that are to blame, and I wouldn't rule out the Treo 650 hardware being a problem, either. To say that poorly written apps are the problem is such a joke. Poorly written apps shouldn't crash any system. If they do, the system is garbage.

* I actually did send my Treo back to Amazon for a replacement, pretty much knowing the replacement would have the same problems, but to send a message that the units they're sending out are ALL DEFECTIVE. I hope others do the same.
    Can't speak for others, but we have two treo 650s in our household. Very infrequent resets....and I can trace almost all of recent resets to one app - Verichat.
    Why is it the Treo's fault if a misbehaving app resets it? Do you think its the OS's fault or the app developers? I have read countless posts of people upgrading from a Treo 600 or a Tungsten 3 and just doing a hotsync, moving over all their old apps, when it CLEARLY states in many of the developer's readme files that the app is not tested on the 650. DateBk5 is an example, which just RECENTLY got released with 650 support. Its was in beta for weeks before that.

It is just not reasonable to expect an OS to simply run with the variety of apps and wide differences in developer's abilities that exist for the Palm. To blame NVFS or the PalmOS for every little app or hack published out there, most of which have yet to be updated or tested for 650, is just ridiculous. This is new hardware with a new file system. If you stick to apps that at the very least the developer says are compatible with the 650, i think you will experience a much more stable device.
    Cingular Treo 650
    People the only reason people buy Treo's is cuz it's one of the "most advanced" "smartphones" available in the U.S. Name me another one that is available through a major carrier(with a decect data connection rate). You can't. If you go to Korea or Japan or even England you get more options of more reliable smartphones. We just have to wait. I'm borderline ordering a I-MATE JAM but it doesn't have wifi or a standard 3.5 audio jack. So I wait... Prob gonna return my treo cuz it does reset quite a bit and I don't have that many apps and it's kind of bulky and doesn't have IE to surf nicely. I'll just carry my T616 and my Ipaq 4155 around til I can marry the two with happiness.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Why is it the Treo's fault if a misbehaving app resets it? Do you think its the OS's fault or the app developers? I have read countless posts of people upgrading from a Treo 600 or a Tungsten 3 and just doing a hotsync, moving over all their old apps, when it CLEARLY states in many of the developer's readme files that the app is not tested on the 650. DateBk5 is an example, which just RECENTLY got released with 650 support. Its was in beta for weeks before that.

It is just not reasonable to expect an OS to simply run with the variety of apps and wide differences in developer's abilities that exist for the Palm. To blame NVFS or the PalmOS for every little app or hack published out there, most of which have yet to be updated or tested for 650, is just ridiculous. This is new hardware with a new file system. If you stick to apps that at the very least the developer says are compatible with the 650, i think you will experience a much more stable device.

Dude, you are SO far off the mark here it's ridiculous. Many of us are using PALM based devices for one reason... because we ALWAYS have. I have way too much invested in the particular applications that I run, and I have a lot of knowledge about the platform that i'm comfortable with. And my point here is this, i've gone from clie to clie to tungsten, to treo to treo etc etc, from os4 to os5 and ALL ALONG THE WAY, my applications WORKED. That's the beauty of it, Palm OS based applications work on any PALM device no matter what. OS5 will even work with old apps with 160 resolution. It's not pretty but it works, and I still have apps like that. We shouldn't have to re-test every app just because the Treo 650 came out. Why is it so special? Cause it's a phone too? Big deal... Maybe NVFS should have stayed in beta for a little longer (ok, a lot) but is that MY fault? No, but we're paying for it and hell, we're power users. It's bad enough that the avg consumer thinks that Windows Movile is the best because "why wouldn't you want Windows on your PDA", but now we have destroyed the credibility and reputation of the Palm OS as being a stable platform for handhelds. 2 years, not eve, let's say a year ago, compare the best Palm to the best thing Microsof had and Palm won as far as stability goes hands down. This isn't so anymore and it's down right embarrasing. Sorry for the long rant, but I expect more from the company I've been loyal too from my first black and white PDA. I've been running PalmOS then, and i'm running it now, end of story.

And before I bought my 650, I DID consider alternatives from PocketPC, and Symbian and almost jumped to a simple Nokia 6630, but it would have been TOO difficult to migrate.
    I understand where you are coming from. I have been using Palm since the Pilot 5000. However, if you expect the platform to remain static for 9 years with no improvements just to maintain compatibility with existing software, we'd all still be using DOS instead of Windows XP. At some point we went from 16 bit to 32 bit, from FAT to NTFS, and we made improvements in capabilities and stability. And I cannot run many of the programs that used to run in DOS or Win95 on my WinXP machine. Its just not realistic.

The same applies to the Palm platform. In order to improve and move forward, inevitably changes are going to have to be made. Progress and customer expectations demand it. So it is an unrealistic expectation that the app that ran last year or 8 years go will run in tomorrow's Palm platform. Expecting that is to expect the Palm OS to never improve.

I have TRIED to go over to Windows PPC on 4 ocassions, and always end up coming back to Palm. I have hundreds of dollars invested in Palm software. But because most of my software is from reputable sources, they have kept up with the improvements on the Palm platform and released updates that make them compatible and stable on the newer platform. That is just a fact of technological life.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Cingular Treo 650
    You want to laugh. I was just reading this thread thinking I haven't had any resets, then low and behold it went into reset. And I have no applications on it other than what it came with in the box !!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast