Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Well, anyway, yes, the platform should evolve, and I too have many applications from reputable companies that frequently improve their apps. But, compatibilty IS key.

Well, I just solved my Versamail reboot, I deleted the profile, i'll recreate it shortly, but at least hitting the send button doesn't give me the black screen of death.

Realplayer is another monster altogether, I've found no possible fix for the reset thats going on there. i'll just have to never go into preferences on that app until the patch comes out.
  2.    #22  
    I also removed Verichat, but that did nothing for my resets. And what's up with Verichat, I have no idea if the version i'm running is beta or not, the app just always wants to update itself. Their website does not clearly define which one is beta and what's considered a stable release.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Can't speak for others, but we have two treo 650s in our household. Very infrequent resets....and I can trace almost all of recent resets to one app - Verichat.

I second this. I have only had resets with Verichat which I have forwarded to there tech support and hopfuly get an update for the app. Other than this app mine is ROCK SOLID.

L
    Try removing Versamail & reset. I did that and my resets diminished by 80%
    Simon
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    It is just not reasonable to expect an OS to simply run with the variety of apps and wide differences in developer's abilities that exist for the Palm.
    What's unreasonable is an app, whether it's supported or not, crashing the whole OS. I write software for a living, and on my target platforms (OS X and various flavors of Unix) there's no damn way I can write software horrible enough to cause the OS to reset. And believe me, I've written some crappy software!

Seriously though, if platforms as massive and diverse as Linux, Solaris, OS X, etc. can handle application crashes without spontaneously resetting, it's insane for Palm OS, with a much narrower set of APIs and functionality, to not have these same protection mechanisms built in, and at least deal with an application crash by terminating the offending application and going on with its life.

I am absolutely happy with my decision to purchase a Treo 650, but sugar-coating these reset problems is very disingenuous... Face it, there's no good reason for this device to be as unstable as it is, and you can't rightly blame software developers or end users for an OS that *dies* on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu
    Seriously though, if platforms as massive and diverse as Linux, Solaris, OS X, etc. can handle application crashes without spontaneously resetting, it's insane for Palm OS, with a much narrower set of APIs and functionality, to not have these same protection mechanisms built in, and at least deal with an application crash by terminating the offending application and going on with its life.
    I love my T650, but you are absolutely right about this. However, it wasn't until xp that I used a Windows OS that had this feature. I didn't use Win NT or Win 2000, but Win 95, Win 98, and before that could easily be locked up by an application. And it still can happen in xp.

I think the OS should deal with incompatible apps better, instead of resetting all the time. Although I never lost any data as a result of a reset.
    I find it amazing that there are so many PalmOne apologists on this site who are willing to put up with any level of invonvenience and stupidity... and excuse Handspring/P1 from any accountability for product stability. When the Mac came out in 1984 (I was there during Lisa and beyond), we published Inside Macintosh and evangelized the hell out of developers to build quality applications that would make the new machine a great success. Had we not done so, many of the complaints you hear on this board would have killed the Macintosh. The bottom line ? P1 is just too damn lazy and disorganized to do the work needed to qualify applications and insure developers support the product correctly. It's strictly hit or miss with these guys. Look at the history of Palm and you'll see why. This company has been a mess since since the bad old 3COM days. They need experienced adults to run the company who know how to make a product successful, not just hustle the analysts. Note they have had record sales and earnings recently because of people like Walt Mossberg plugging the product.. so there is no excuse not to start making this really work. What I want to know is why TreoCentral doesn't act on behalf of members as a conduit to P1 management on these issues... or perhaps they are incapable of listening at P1. TCentral staff, pipe up !!!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I was having problems with occasional resets but my biggest problem was with BackupBuddy VFS. I completely deleted every Palm program from my desktop. After all programs were uninstalled, I went through c:/programs and deleted any left over folders from my Palm programs. Uninstall doesn't delete some program folders. I then hard resetted my Treo. I reinstalled the Palm Desktop software from scratch. I then installed each program one at a time, reset the Treo, and performed a backup after each install. I never had one problem through the whole ordeal and my Treo is working perfect.

I have never liked having the Palm software to restore everything even if it was from the install I was using, but I have always put as many programs as I can in the install window and had them all installed during one hotsync. I think that was my problem.
    My Treo ran fine the first few weeks witha rest maybe every 3 days...then one day it started having them every 2 minutes for about 4 hours, then this slowed down and the resets happened once or twice per day and they were all being caused by "Phone" when I checked the errors...amazingly about 10 days ago something odd happened and my phone went without a reset for 4 full days!!!! Nothing has changed at all and nothing new was removed or installed...after the 4 days of no resets it has started to have a reset every 1-2 days because of "Phone"

**As for having nothing on the Treo and it running stock with no resets, I tried that for one week from Sunday to the following Sunday and had minimum 1 reset per day most of the time when the phone was just sitting on my desk doing nothing.

Before the Treo650 I used my Clie UX-50 and had never seen it do auto-reset like the Treo and I had well over 30 programs installed...I can't recall when I started using Palms but they were the black and green screens and I also used the Visors and never had problems like the Treo650.

Will I keep the Treo650...yes, I've learned to live with the little annoyances for the tradeoff of not having to carry 2 devices and looking like batman with his accesory belt...I'm hoping one day updates will be released to make it perform better.
    What's unreasonable is an app, whether it's supported or not, crashing the whole OS. I write software for a living, and on my target platforms (OS X and various flavors of Unix) there's no damn way I can write software horrible enough to cause the OS to reset....
    Oh really? I guess you don't remember windows 95...

Seriously, you can't compare the Palm OS in its current state to OS X or Unix. These are 32bit operating systems that need a bit more that 5-10MB of RAM to run right. You also can't forget that after all, this is a PDA, not a standalone computer.

I compare the current Palm to Win95, like step 2 in an evolution process. Still built on top of DOS but with some niceties. We will have to wait until Palm develops a true multitasking, protected OS. Until then we are at the mercy of misbehaving apps, just like we were in the DOS/Win95 days. Even when NT came out there was still lots of "blue screens". It wasn't until WinXP came out that the situation stabilized itself. The same will happen with the Palm OS, just not with version 5.x.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    ... **As for having nothing on the Treo and it running stock with no resets, I tried that for one week from Sunday to the following Sunday and had minimum 1 reset per day most of the time when the phone was just sitting on my desk doing nothing....
    If that is the case, I would get a new one. There are such a thing as "bad" Treo's due to the fact that, being designed and manufactured by human beings, some will inevitably come out defective. If you can't get it to reliably run clean (and you don't have the Cingular SIM issue), then you should get a new one. The Treo should run clean without resets. Mine is loaded to the max with apps and it does not reset at all. You may have another problem that is not software related.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I took the time to create www.treo650update.com for exactly this reason.. please take a moment to look at who the petition signers are and what they're saying... and sign it.

couldn't hurt anyway.

Numbers talk, single posts walk.
    Like my new motto?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    What's unreasonable is an app, whether it's supported or not, crashing the whole OS. I write software for a living, and on my target platforms (OS X and various flavors of Unix) there's no damn way I can write software horrible enough to cause the OS to reset. And believe me, I've written some crappy software!

How quickly we forget the days of os9 when everything would cause a system crash. It's not unreasonable to think that maybe palm devises are still in the days of os9 and will take a while to get to the level of osx. (just keepin' it in the realm of apple)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12