1.    #1  
    OK .... I'm dumb.

I KNOW there is a way to program the telephone app to dial a number if you hold down the number on the screen (it works for voicemail),

I setup a "favorites button", set the "type" as speed-dial, assigned it to "quick key 4."

However if I "press and hold" the 4 on the phone app nothing happens. What am I missing here?

you can't pick a number, if you are talking about "d" which 4 sits on, yes that should work. You can only use the number "1", for voicemails, all others must be letters and must be used with the phone app showing.
    Quote:
    must be used with the phone app showing

Unless you use the app called Butler, which allows those single key quick dials to be invoked from within any app.
  4.    #4  
    I see what you mean. I don't like this at all. I set the "quick key" to "G" and I had to "press and hold" the "G" on the actual KEYBOARD, not the "G" (or 4) on the dialpad on the phone app display. Yet holding the "1" on the dialpad works. Pretty dumb if you ask me. Why have this big phone dialpad display on the screen and not be able to hold down the keys THERE for speed dial just like a regular cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    you can't pick a number, if you are talking about "d" which 4 sits on, yes that should work. You can only use the number "1", for voicemails, all others must be letters and must be used with the phone app showing.
    the letter process is actually better - you get 25 choices rather than just 9 or 10 (26 letters of the alphabet, less the [1] key which is dedicated to voice mail.
  6.    #6  
    Frankly I'd rather hit the larger screen "button" then the keypad. What confused me is the "1" works from the phone app so I ASSUMED the others would as well. Guess I gotta live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    the letter process is actually better - you get 25 choices rather than just 9 or 10 (26 letters of the alphabet, less the [1] key which is dedicated to voice mail.