1.    #1  
    Trying to set up this new treo and everytime I go through the sync procedure it goes into an endless reboot loop. Apparently the only solution is a hard reset, but that is impossible to do by yourself. (Who's the genius who dreamed up that procedure? I'd like to wring their neck!!)

Secondly, it must be some software from my previous treo that won't work on the new one that is causing that. How do I ever uninstall it if everytime I sync it goes into an endless reboot???
    You are probably going to have to re-install all of the previous apps. I had a similar situation but not quite as serious. You can rename your backup file something like backupa.
    Perform a hard reset and then sync again. You should then have a clean Treo 650 and can begin reinstalling one program at a time.

Hope this helps
    Agreed - you'll first need to rename the "backup" directory under your Palm User directory so that everything isn't re-installed.

Then do a hard reset, do your initial setup, and reload your applications one at a time (or a couple at a time) until you find the offender(s).

Tons of threads out here on that - if you get stuck do some searches here on relevant terms.

And most of all - be patient, and enjoy!
    You MUST read this...

palmone guide

It should be in the box with the 650.

Pay special attention to

"Installing the Treo 650 software"

and below, especially renaming the old backup folder.
  5.    #5  
    Okay, thanks -- so far so good. I got far enough to install the ROM update with your advice. One more question -- where do I reinstall from? Do I have to install from the original software and then re-enter all my data, or can I reinstall from the backup folder or what?
  6.    #6  
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, Dutch. I'm not seeing those instructions in the box. So thanks for the link. That ought to get it. Appreciate the help VERY much!
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrs
    Okay, thanks -- so far so good. I got far enough to install the ROM update with your advice. One more question -- where do I reinstall from? Do I have to install from the original software and then re-enter all my data, or can I reinstall from the backup folder or what?
    Sychronize your personal info first (calendar, contacts, tasks, memos)

Then install one app at a time. This is slow but SAFE and will save you trouble when pin-pointing problems if the arise. You know you'll be starting clean. If you're unsure about any application along the way, chances are someone here has already seen that problem. Searching can be hard due to the volume of threads here but usually you can get some help.

Good Luck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrs
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, Dutch. I'm not seeing those instructions in the box. So thanks for the link. That ought to get it. Appreciate the help VERY much!

I said the SHOULD be. Pretty rediculous that they are not isn't it?
    You can re-install from the backup folder if you want. If the problem is corrupt data, you may get it again. If the problem is applications that don't play well together, you'll get it again as well, but, by installing one at a time, you'll hopefully know which app is not "playing" well.

It's best, of course, to truly start over, installing apps from their original source, but this may not be necessary. Unfortunately, you won't know that until after you try re-unstalling everything from the backup folder and it fails.
    Be aware that there is a hard reset, which can be done by one person, and a "zero out reset" which is very difficult for one person to do.

To do a hard reset, hold down the power button (the red "end" button) while you use your stylus to do a reset. Keep holding it until the grey palm logo is displayed on screen and then release. It'll prompt you to press the "up" part of the 5-way.
    Itrs,

search forum for "mikec" and "migration" and it will tell you what you need to do.

Also, hard reset your Treo and install the rom update first.
    I'd suggest this:

1. Hard Reset your Treo

2. Export your contacts / appointments whatever from whatever PIM you use and save files as backup.

3. Uninstall the old Palm Software from your Desktop. I left my old E:/Palm directory.

3. Install new PD software on desktop in different folder. Mine was E:\PalmOne

4. Import your contacts and whatever into Palm Desktop and HotSync w/ Treo.

5. Use the thing for a few days like this w/ no programs. This will enable you to figure out if you have any basic hardware programs. Use the time to collect any critical software you need and check for program updates.

6. Install Northglide's Uninstall Manager (suggest you grab it as part of "NeatFreakPak".

7. Pick 2 or 3 favorite programs. I would not include ANY e-mail / messaging or web apps in this list other than what is on Install CD. I wuld include VoiceSignal VoiceDial(ing) app on this list.

8. Add ONE program to Palm Install Tool, Hotsync.

9. Repeat Step 9 for programs 2 and 3

10. Wait a couple of days, repeat steps 7 -9. Be sure to avoid "Red Light District" on Software Compatability List:

http://www.palmfocus.com/treo650software.asp

Also, so a search here on TC by program name looking for problems / fixes / experiences before installing.