1.    #1  
    I purchased the adapter for the treo from the palm one store, to allow me to use more headphones with my Treo 600. The adapter works great with headphones, no problem. However, when I try to plug it into my Accessory jack, for the radio in my car, it gets no signal. Any idea why? Ipods, and my Garmin Ique work just fine! Is it the adapter itself, or is there some other problem I may not know about?
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    It's an impedance thing. There are a zillion threads on this. Use search to find them. The simplest solution: radio shack headphone volume control between the treo and your radio
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  3.    #3  
    Wierd. I say that, cause I can use the same headphones on the treo and the Garmin 3600, and get the same sound volume without changing the units. The garmin is just fine, but the treo has nothing! No sound at all, not even soft. I did a search on here, but never found anything. Perhaps I used the wrong search terms.
  4.    #4  
    Santa, thank you. I did a search again, and used "headphone volume" and found exactly what you referenced. I will pick one up tomorrow and see if that solves the problem. Here's Hope!
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevwill
    Wierd. I say that, cause I can use the same headphones on the treo and the Garmin 3600, and get the same sound volume without changing the units. The garmin is just fine, but the treo has nothing! No sound at all, not even soft. I did a search on here, but never found anything. Perhaps I used the wrong search terms.
    The difference between the Treo and the Garmin iQue is that the Treo also uses the 2.5mm jack for headsets with a microphone.

As a result, the Treo needs a method for automatically detecting whether stereo headphones are plugged in rather than a headset with microphone. Fortunately for Palm, headset microphones typically have a very high impedance (thousands of ohms), while stereo headphones usually have impedances on the order of 32-64 ohms. Thus the Palm makes its decision on whether headphones or a headset are plugged in based on the impedance of the "microphone" connection. If the impedance is high, the Treo assumes that the connection IS a microphone and behaves accordingly. If the impedance turns out to be low (I don't know the exact threshold), the Treo makes the decision that headphones are plugged in.

Line-in jacks present a high impedance to any audio sources connected to them. The result of this is that when the Treo is connected to something other than headphones like a line-in jack or some headphone amplifiers, the Treo will incorrectly assume that a headset with microphones are plugged in. The result - no sound.

Freedom may be able to counteract this. I know it can reroute audio output from MP3 players, etc. to the mono output of a headset mic, I don't know if it can completely override the Treo's decision on what is connected to the jack. Worst case, use a device that will present a low impedance to the Treo such as the aforementioned Radio Shack volume control.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the technical explanation. That makes a ton of sense. Also explains why the seidio stereo combo earbuds/microphone uses a switch to switch from phone to mp3! I am definitely going to check out that Radio Shack volume control tomorrow. Again I thank both you (Entropy) and Santa for steering me in the right direction!
  7.    #7  
    OH, as an aside, since I mentioned the seidio headphones........THEY SUCK. They do their job well as earphones and microphone, and pick up your voice well, but the audio quality for music is just TERRIBLE!! (very muddy) I have a pair of the generic palm stereo headphones without a mic, and they are infinitely better quality for music. And, I am sure there are better ones out there. I have ended up using the Seidio earphones for talking here at home while on business calls and using my computer at the same time. They work well for that.