Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just for fun, Perhaps some would like to share why they chose the Treo560 instead of a smartphone like the sony ericsson P900/P900i or the Nokia 9xxx series.

Is it because you were already using a Palm PDA, and got tired of juggling the PDA and phone at the same time?

Or maybe you did your homework and found the Treo600/650 to be the best that fulfills your needs compared to the other smartphones?

Just curious
    in my case it was because i'm hooked into palm OS for work. I support a Cardio group that has a bunch of custome dbs that we use for billing and other stuff.
    Plus the applications i already own that I use daily.

I needed a new cell phone.
    I need a Palm device.

Treo fits the bill

Because of this I didn't check anything else out.
    I saw one of the new Nokia's that a colleague has and it's pretty swank.
    but the features beyon what I stated above are just candy.
    It's like comparing software support of Windows to BeOS.
    because Nokia's sync program is crappy and I had bad problems with 6230. And because P910 does not support EDGE. Because Treo looks better than Nokia 9xxx which IMHO looks like a brick. Last but not least...thumboard, better than anything else.
    Nokia 9x00, no vibe alert, keyboard is not backlight no touch screen...however you know it is quite attractive i must admit, but the backlight may be a problem (meh my laptop doesnt have a backlight keyboard and i live), but im addicted to a touch screen and well no vibe alert..um i dont think so (but then again look at the size of either or)
    I did a review comparing these three.. you can see it at www.chromewalker.com

I'm on my 4th Treo now.. and well, this one is finally stable.
    CDMA
    overall form factor and design elegance. One handedness, ease of dialing, ease of navigating around in the OS. Just easier overall.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    keyboard. software availability
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I did not choose SE because I've seen P900 and it felt like a cheap product, and I hate Memory Stick for it's incompatibility with other brand's devices

Nokia 9xxx is another phone I looked into. But I found it so limiting since I can only buy a european version or north america version. I travel alot and need a phone that works everywhere. Treo's quad band impressed me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackneto
    in my case it was because i'm hooked into palm OS for work. I support a Cardio group that has a bunch of custome dbs that we use for billing and other stuff.
    Plus the applications i already own that I use daily.

I needed a new cell phone.
    I need a Palm device.

Treo fits the bill

Because of this I didn't check anything else out.
    I saw one of the new Nokia's that a colleague has and it's pretty swank.
    but the features beyon what I stated above are just candy.

p910

- thumboard is unuseable
    - not much support in the apps field
    - used a p800 before and its a C*R*A*P

9xxx
    - used a 9210 and its great for sms ONLY
    - not much apps
    - its S*L*O*W
    - its a nokia
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Palm OS!!!
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    The P900 does everything. It may just do more than the Treo is capable of right out of the box. However, it was horrible at most of those things, even basic PIM handling. Text entry is simply horrible since the keyboard is useless, the handwriting is even worse than useless (if that's possible), and the on-screen keyboard was annoying to use, though it can be done. I sold the P900 or P910 (whatever it was) within a week of getting it and picked up another Treo 600.

The Nokia is one I haven't tried, and until the size becomes reasonable it won't happen.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for the replies.

I thought the majority of Treo users would be due to legacy reasons, that is people that's been using a Palm PDA who wants to stop juggling a PDA and cellphone.

I'm glad to find out that most did a comparison, a smartphone shoot-out, and chose the Treo because it was the best that fit your requirements.

Again, thanks for participating
    Quote Originally Posted by thumb-tied
    Thanks for the replies.

I thought the majority of Treo users would be due to legacy reasons, that is people that's been using a Palm PDA who wants to stop juggling a PDA and cellphone.

I'm glad to find out that most did a comparison, a smartphone shoot-out, and chose the Treo because it was the best that fit your requirements.

Again, thanks for participating

welcome

oh yeah, one more thing, palm is MUCH more stable than the other o/s, minus the weirdness on treo 650....
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesky
    because Nokia's sync program is crappy and I had bad problems with 6230. And because P910 does not support EDGE. Because Treo looks better than Nokia 9xxx which IMHO looks like a brick. Last but not least...thumboard, better than anything else.
    so does this mean the sony p910 doesnt work with cingular service?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Form factor
    Palm OS
    CDMA
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I saw a Sony P910 this week set up for Cingular and got to play with it for awhile. It relegates the Treo 650 to a freakin' paperweight! The design, engineering, build and component quality, look 'n feel makes this a vastly superior device to the 650....there is no comparison. Sure it runs Symbian but more and more s/w is being written for it every day and the basic phone and email s/w is very, very solid. I'd be fine with a PalmOS version of the P910....either one. The only negative is that the alphameric keyboard is pretty weak but rumor is that they are going to be fixing this soon. This is why at the end of the day, the Sony's, the Apples, the Motoroloa's and the Nokia's will put P1 out of business (and their misery) as P1 cannot touch the design capabilities of these guys. I would not have wasted all my time being my own 24x7 IT shop keeping my 650 going had I known about the p910.

IMHO...
    My Unlocked 650 just officially became a paperweight. Not being able to deal with the constant resets and crashes, I went back to my very stable P900. Although I miss the instant email (intellisync) that my company supports on the Treo, I can't explain how much better my P900 sounds with both incoming and outgoing calls. People on the other end can finally hear me as well as me hearing them again. I wish my Treo unit was as stable as my Treo 600 (sold) and P900 because I really do love the keyboard, screen and bluetooth. The other posts in this thread are correct regarding text input. The Treo rocks; but ironically, it has become a rock on my desk.

I hope Intellisync and Palm fix the incompatible issues so i can move on. Sorry for the rant. Thanks for listening.
    Have to agree with SofTTware. Overall the SE P800-900-910 is immensely more capable than the Treo 650. I also found SE handwriting recognition to be very effective and forgiving (not to mention built in). The only reason I switched to the Treo 650 from the SE P800 is that the SE had a field length limitation in the calendar display that prevented it from displaying certain appointment information due to the way our corporate system records meetings in Outlook. As a result I had to carry a Palm (T3) as well as the SE.

PalmOne would do well to use the P910 as a benchmark to meet or exceed for future smartphone products.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast