Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Software, software, software. Palm OS has far more of it than any other PDA OS, and a huge following of shall we say... individuals who want this to continue? Symbian is neat and to some extent so is Windows Mobile, but when you really want to get something done, Palm OS is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by thumb-tied
    Just for fun, Perhaps some would like to share why they chose the Treo560 instead of a smartphone like the sony ericsson P900/P900i or the Nokia 9xxx series.

Is it because you were already using a Palm PDA, and got tired of juggling the PDA and phone at the same time?

Or maybe you did your homework and found the Treo600/650 to be the best that fulfills your needs compared to the other smartphones?

Just curious
    Neither for me really. I needed a compact PDA with phone, I'm open to Palm or PPC. Treo 650 is smaller than PPC with phones. But I must say, this phone didn't get the greatest consumer reviews(but neither did the PPCs I wanted, LOL!). But it looked like it had what I needed for organization, was the right size and looked good. So I took a chance. My decision was due to nothing as serious as some others here, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    Software, software, software. Palm OS has far more of it than any other PDA OS, and a huge following of shall we say... individuals who want this to continue? Symbian is neat and to some extent so is Windows Mobile, but when you really want to get something done, Palm OS is the way to go.
    No disagreement here on the large library of s/w available as I have had many PalmOS devices over the years an hate to see P1 failing as they are building this junk h/w. For many of us though, we need mostly solid PIM s/w and a good web browser, email and SMS client and we are good to go. And if there really is a market for more s/w, developers will create more titles for Symbian. Some of the Palm stuff is pretty esoteric or amatuerish so many of us are not missing that much if you can't have it.

But your last point is totally wrong, when you have a device that is as unstable as the Treo 650, you CANNOT GET THINGS DONE! Check out the build and design quality of the Sony and you will see what I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by SofTTware
    I saw a Sony P910 this week set up for Cingular and got to play with it for awhile. It relegates the Treo 650 to a freakin' paperweight! The design, engineering, build and component quality, look 'n feel makes this a vastly superior device to the 650....there is no comparison. Sure it runs Symbian but more and more s/w is being written for it every day and the basic phone and email s/w is very, very solid. I'd be fine with a PalmOS version of the P910....either one. The only negative is that the alphameric keyboard is pretty weak but rumor is that they are going to be fixing this soon. This is why at the end of the day, the Sony's, the Apples, the Motoroloa's and the Nokia's will put P1 out of business (and their misery) as P1 cannot touch the design capabilities of these guys. I would not have wasted all my time being my own 24x7 IT shop keeping my 650 going had I known about the p910.

IMHO...
    You included Motorola in a sentence that implies better design??? You must have looked at the Razr. Many of their other phones look like out-dated bricks, they're just too thick and unstylish. Even when they try to be cool, they aren't due to being too thick and having cheesy-looking graphics on their color screens. Treo looks snappier than any Motorola I've seen!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I had complained earlier about the stability of the Treo. Mine locked up solid (no power) for about 2-3 hours. Never had a Palm do that before.

I got it back to life (inserting/removing the battery), wiped it clean (I had upgraded the profile from a T|T1) and have had very little problems since (2 days though).

So far, more solid for me than my T68i. Also, I like the openess of the programming environment for the Palm system. I have a Zodiac because of that reason. I can move files/pics/movies back and forth without spending more on software and cables or MMS.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12