Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I still have a Treo 180 and would like to buy a new smartphone.
    I have read lot of discussions here about if upgrade from
    treo 600 to 650 or not, but my problem is or to buy a Treo
    600 (+/- 460 dollar in my country) or Treo 650 (+/- 700 dollar
    in my country).
    Last edited by randoo; 04/01/2005 at 12:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    if you need (must have) a hi-res screen and bluetooth, get the 650. if you are cost concious, go for the 600. most of the folks here exhibit an illness that has nothing to do with what they need, but is more about having the newest device (i can only speak from my own experience).

going from a 180 to a 600 is like going from a covered wagon to a nice auto - the 650 is a mercedes.

do you need a car, or a mercedes ? (mercedes chosen specifically as the example)
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I would try to buy a Treo 650 on Ebay, GSM-unlocked. It would be less than $650. A lightly used one would be fine and save you lots.

The Treo 650 IMHO is still a significant update from the 600 or olders Treos, and I have had the 270, and 600 and several older Palm OS and Windows CE devices.

Good luck in your search!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    don't get me wrong, get the 650 if you can rationalize it....
  5.    #5  
    Thank you.

What about the phone quality?
    The treo 600 has a better phone quality?
    I'll use the pda mostly as phone and email/web.
    I think the phone qualiy is roughly the same. If you want email/web the 650 increased resolution is a BIG help.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    I think the phone qualiy is roughly the same. If you want email/web the 650 increased resolution is a BIG help.
    And even loudness is roughly the same?
    Can't speak for the the 650 but I've had my original Sprint Treo 600 since Oct 2003. It's great. If you end up with the 600 because of financial reasons, you will still be getting a great device as a phone, for e-mails, web access and as a PDA.

LOL
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Get the iPaq 6500 coming out in April...
    I bought a 650 because I have bad eyesight anyway. I wanted better resolution so that I had a remote chance of being able to read the screen. The reference materials I have put on my Treo all have relatively fine print. The screen is a big help. I bought my husband, who will use it mostly as a phone/text messager/gamestation, the 600.
    As far as web/email goes:
    the 650 screen is much better, much easer on the eyes.
    If you ever use any picture attachments the 650 screen is MUCH nicer
    if the 650 is an option, get the 650
    Old Nokia - Nokia 3390 Sidekick 1 (black and white) - Sidekick Color - Treo 600 - Sidekick 2 - Blackberry 7100t - Treo 650 and razr black (best combo EVER) Iphone 8gb - Iphone 3G 16gb - BlackBerry Bold
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by granth
    As far as web/email goes:
    the 650 screen is much better, much easer on the eyes.
    If you ever use any picture attachments the 650 screen is MUCH nicer
    if the 650 is an option, get the 650
    Thank you, what about the phone application,
    is there a difference between the two PDA's?
    The treo 600 is way more stable then the treo 650 at this point in time..
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Needatreo650
    The treo 600 is way more stable then the treo 650 at this point in time..

I've used both extensively, and don't agree with that comment.

If you plan on using the phone to connect via vpn and remotely control the space shuttle, it is unreliable, if you plan to install the apps off the cd, and run an occasional game, there are no stability issues (other than the occasional bad hardware).
    Pabo with all due respect i have seen and dealt with more Treo 600's and Treo 650's then you have dreamt about and a very very large portion of the Treo 650's reset out of the blue, the latest update from palmone has fixed many but there are still alot of issues & the treo 650 happens to be alot more stable and 100% working out of the box.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Needatreo650
    Pabo with all due respect i have seen and dealt with more Treo 600's and Treo 650's then you have dreamt about

That's a pretty big assumption on your part. Do we know each other ??

I stand by my original comment.

ps. Did you have a chance to present at the first Palm Developer's Conference in San Fran, too ?!?!?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    pps. At least the 650 resets. the 600 would just lock up......
    The 650 STILL resets - the 600 Would lock up but not really anymore..
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    lock up anymore than the 650 resets. I agree - hence my disagreement that the 600 is "more stable".

Unfortunately, continuing this argument won't help the originator of this thread get closer to a decision. Let's log this as 1 vote for the 600 and one for the 650 and move on...
    I've had so many problems with my 650 and my 600 had none. I regret I ever made the switch. If you value your time think hard before you leap
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast